Celebrations Must Wind Down - Bring on the Baptists!

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by havoc7701, Oct 7, 2018.

1. havoc7701

havoc7701 Sponsor and Aggy Ridiculer

We’re still a young team but showing improvement every week, except for HOLDING penalties, perhaps. I’m always worried about the post-OU win hangover but I think Coach Herman will have them prepared. Thoughts on next week’s game?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

OU hangover will make it a closer game than it should be, but we'll win.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Baylor is definitely a better team than last year I like Brewer I was surprised he didn’t have many big offers coming out of high school. I’m watching the game on dvr now once I’m finished with it I’m turning all attention to Baylor just as the team should

4. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

I’ll go with Mack Brown’s statement after the 2008 team beat down the dirt burglars, “the goals for this team have changed”. I watched some of the bailor game and they are improved but KSU looked very slow in the part of the game I saw and their qb missed several wide open receivers at least one who would have scored. The next step for this team is handling success. They did after tcu and sc but beating dirt burglars is a whole different level especially the rise in rankings. The biggest concern is Herman’s teams ability to play down to their opponent.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I will celebrate as long as I damned well please.

The team needs to get back to work though.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Hager after game said he had 16 hours to celebrate then it was on to Baylor, this team has the right mindset but Baylor is classic trap game and TH and Orlando have their work in store this week.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

We HAVE to find SOMEONE that can PUNT the damned ball consistently for distance.

My concerns about the offense remain...they were not exactly playing a stout defense. And while defense is hardly a staple of ANY team in the Big12, Texas needs to show they can get the job done against someone capable of playing defense.

Okie Lite in three weeks worries me...you HAVE to believe they will be chapped at the way ISU burned them time and time again.

I'm on board with one of the statements in the coverage yesterday...Texas has at least turned the corner towards being back. BUT...I want to see a COMPLETE game. Time for celebrating yesterday is over...time to get back to work and putting sixty minutes together to boot the baptists.

STARTING with no penalties being assessed before the first snap of the game...I think this was the third game Texas got flagged before they even got the first snap, with two being delay of game (the other was that equipment violation to start the season). There is ZERO reason to not know the play when you trot out on the field...

• Like Like x 4
  8. Sangre Naranjada

TCU?
    KSU?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

This is just completely inexplicable to me. Maybe once or twice in a season, but it seems like we regularly take the field without being ready to play offense.

The flip side is that we have not had a turnover in the last three games. That is huge so credit to the offense for protecting the ball.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

You mean those fighting purple wizards of the Little Apple of whom the defense carried the day for Texas? Yeah, that is a team you could say the offense did nothing against...nine of that mammoth 19 point output were the product of players NOT playing offense.

Same game saw a whopping 36.7 yards per punt...again, not acceptable if this team wants to complete the process of taking the step to the next level.

11. Sangre Naranjada

You said Texas needs to show it can get the job done against someone capable of playing defense.

I say we already have shown it. Two games in the W column against TCU and KSU mean something to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Agreed. Texas may be lone team that has not figured out the rule change. Not sure what changed, but it has to do with when the play clock starts before the first snap and after the kickoff.

13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Why isn't LHN showing ou game / clips? Is FOX Sports got some kind of broadcast rights blackout?

14. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I am with Walking Boss. Don’t get me wrong, I am “enjoy the journey guy” so this is really nitpicking, but the next step or growth in this program is to Donkey Stomp the Baylors of the world! Early and often!

• Like Like x 1
  15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

They have rights until Tuesday then LHN can start showing and will about 20 times in next 5 days

• Like Like x 1
  16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

FOCUSNESS!

• Like Like x 1
  17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Along with 72+ replays of today's presser. :whiteflag:

18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

How many guys on here are baptist and feel conflicted on these? If we play Notre Dame, and only call them The Catholics, does LC feel less burnt orange or less Papal?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Well, one of the games historically hyped the most was billed as the convicts vs the Catholics. I have no problem calling them the Baylor Fightin' Baptists mainly because that has to be the most hypocritical university in the world with all the cover ups going on. I almost wish they would get the death penalty....they are out of control. Yes, I'm Baptist.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Football fans are funny....
    We don't want to lose.
    We want to win.
    We want more wins.
    We don't like how we won.
    We want better wins.
    We want blowouts.
    We want blowouts with 0 mistakes.
    We want blowout shutouts with 0 mistakes and the opponents thowing their babies out of the stands.
    Top 25.
    Top 10
    A negative rating we're so good.
    Give me this
    Give me that gimme gimme gimme
    We want more more more bwaahaaahaaahaaaa!!!!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  21. bigrob35

bigrob35 25+ Posts

I agree 100%. Lets all enjoy the winning!! Something that longhorn fans have not experienced in a long time. Excited to see where this program is going!! There will be mistakes and a few losses, but lets keep winning and enjoying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This is another classic trap game, but I think this team now has leaders that can keep them focused.

I love Hager's statement when asked if Texas is back.

Paraphrase " The only thing that is back is come Monday we are back to work".

That is true leadership, and I hope the young guys take notice.

Something I wanted to point out.

Hager and Chris Nelson are the captains on defense, and both were 3'star guys coming out of high school. That should tell you a lot about their character. This is not to point fingers at some of our other more talented guys on defense, just that they are setting an amazing example for the young guys.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  23. rick mueller

I was raised Baptist and consider myself Baptist today. However, being raised in Austin, I have never, ever, I repeat never ever, had any affinity for that institution. Today I have to say that I feel nothing but shame for BU. No conflict here, whatsoever.

24. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

Raised Baptist ... still adhere to its theology ... just not its organization of bahzillion committees. Anyhow ... I'll stop there.

It reminds me of playing Axtell ... they are Longhorns ... same style logo, but red.

When they'd do something good, their fight song ... yeah, Texas Fight ... school song ... yeah, Eyes of Texas. (though the lyrics are SLIGHTLY different) ... and they had a pretty good 1A band! Wasn't like you could hear maybe one trumpet ... they had a big presence. GRRRRRR!

Axtell Fight Song • Page - Axtell ISD

I didn't like that! :)

The other memory I have of that is our idiot coach forcing me to remove my #20 UT jersey "1/2" shirt under the shoulder pads. What a goof he was. So ... conflicted?

I'm not offended by this use of Baptists ... but, yeah, I don't really have a slur for Baylor being raised under the shadow of the Brazos Queen/all. nevermind most of those players are lost as geese looking for thunder, let alone Baptists.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  25. rick mueller

Hagar originally committed to Baylor IIRC. That tells me that Mack didn't recruit this legacy player. Now I'm not saying we should recruit every Longhorn legacy, but one with Hagar bloodlines should warrant at least a look and maybe risk a taking a chance, I would think. Heaven knows Mack missed on enough other players.

26. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I'm not Baptist or Catholic. Just wondered what "you people" :yes: thought about the nomenclature. Lol

27. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I think we'd be better served with another moniker ... but whatever.

28. Sangre Naranjada

Hager's older brother played quite well at Baylor. I'm glad we got this one to stay in Austin.

• Agree Agree x 3