Census and the political fallout

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Roger, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

Texas gains 4 seats in total Red States are gaining seats and blue states are losing seats, how does this play out in 2012? The article below is interesting as it points out the population shift looks to favor the R's but in reality might not be as advantageous as it looks.

WSJ Link

2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^Interesting link, Roger. Here's the telling excerpt:

3. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

maybe Texas politicians can finally find the balls to gerrymander Sheila Jackson Lee out of office...one can only dream.

4. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

5. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

yo
    "You do understand the GOP Party leaders want her elected every 2 years right? "
    Actually no I did not know that.
    but I know you can explain it and I will appreciate it.

7. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

There will be far more political talent, energy, resolve, and creativity given over to redistricting in 2011 than there will be in tackling Texas' projected budget deficit.

8. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Classy, Roger. She was elected by her constituents FYI.

are these constituents the ones that are highly educated, read a lot, dont watch fox because it isnt real news and voted for obama? strange, i was unfortunately forced to drive through her district the other day and nobody looked very educated to me. in fact, i had a strange suspicion that my tax dollars go to support a lot of them.

9. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

10. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

11. IRC

IRC 1,000+ Posts

I think the far more interesting aspect of this news hasn't really been discussed yet.

Would anyone care to speculate on why heavily Democrat states have seen a huuuuge out-migration whereas heavily Republican states have seen a huuuuge in-migration in population?

Is it the pro-business climate creating jobs and the natural force of people moving to where the jobs are?

Is it the Progressive and oppressive tax burdens and governmental regulation driving population away?

Why are all the gainers Red and all the losers Blue?

Speculation anyone?

12. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

General, I believe her district is the poorest parts of Houston mixed in with River Oaks (the richest part of Houston).

The 18th district was created in the 70's for the sole purpose of electing a minority. I'm not sure who was worse for the district, SJL or Mickey Leland. The only people in river oaks voting for her are trust fund babies that feel guilty for being given all that money or do not know what it takes to earn it that kind of money and think of themselves as a rich "liberal."

13. mcbrett

mcbrett 2,500+ Posts

14. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

15. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

16. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

yo
    thanks. I truly did not know
    I understand it now. It makes a strange kind of sense.
    Even knowing both parties use this tactic there seems to be an element of racism involved.
    I guess no black person has ever complained since it created a district almost guaranteed to elect a black

18. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

19. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

Since we're talking in crass political terms here, something of significance is this:

20. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Mojo:

Not to be knit picking here but it was not the Civil Rights Act. It was the Voters Rights Act of 1965. It gets mixed in most of the time.

The issue with this is that it clearly now and today discriminates and still holds the southern states to a higher standard then the Rust Belt and accountable to the Justice department. I would like to see the Justice Department come down and tell the State of Texas they are wrong and have to redo it, you might get your revolution and Texas' Independence.

This another one of those things you don't hear about just like the Democrats primary two step that has been discrimminating against Minorities for what almost 40 years now?

21. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Thanks for the Huffiington Post article.

22. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

23. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

You do know what happened in 2002 or 2003 and the eventual Supreme Court decision.

If I had to put money on it, I would bet the Fed is going to to take the State of Texas to court on this regardless of how it looks.

24. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

In reply to:

25. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

26. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

27. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

28. MojoMan

MojoMan 1,000+ Posts

29. YoLaDu