Chad Hastings

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by Rexy, Mar 6, 2008.

1. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he wanted this to happen as it was inconvenient to his schedule but still wanted to do a show? He could have asked for it and they not wanting to lose him all together did it for him? What you consider a demotion may be a perfect scenario for him.

Chip is not the type to take a demotion like that from what i have gathered. He would just leave. He has enough going on that he does not need this gig. It's a nice gig but he hardly counts the pennies from it and could use the free time. I don't think he was demoted.

2. LadyDee

LadyDee 25+ Posts

I apologize if I offended but afternoon drive is a much better time slot than middays. Either way I don't know why they would mess with a good thing in the PM.

3. Tailgate

Tailgate 500+ Posts

It is a sad day for sports radio in Austin if we are hoping for a guy who does a skit making himself sound like a bad strip club DJ as a really good option for our sports airwaves.

4. UTgrad_KUlaw

UTgrad_KUlaw 25+ Posts

Craig Way made the same sort of move a couple years ago, moving from PM drive to midday. He cited the fact that it was easier on his busy travel schedule.

5. cud

cud 25+ Posts

It's a Clear Channel meltdown at KVET. So sad.

Chad's alright and some people here are boring. A lot of ex-patriots at ESPN-Austin. The producing there needs to improve (more creative) as well as the technical limitations need to be resolved. Having said that, I don't blame Chad for leaving KVET. He is leaving a sick organization that just happens to be the anchor for the Longhorn network.

He is joining some new young talent like him. They concentrate on Longhorn Sports. A new breath of life, if you will.

My radio dial changed months ago.

6. KC-97HORN

KC-97HORN 500+ Posts

Cud, Chad didnt leave KVET.

KVET left him. He was released as an on-air personality in late October.

He was then hired as a contract on play by play guy for the ladies basketball broadcast.

The guy seriously wanted to stay in Austin and he fought to get any open positions within radio in Austin.

Hes not the greatest on air guy in Austin, but hes far, far better than some of the worst (Henson).

And he admits that hes a 2% Aggy, he calls them out on their retarded moves --like the Alamo Bowl "championship" ring with the score on the ring.

7. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

dee, nobody got offended. Your input was short sighted and left out a very obvious possibility. It is not a demotion if he wanted to change the time he had this obligation. Same as Craig. His schedule is prob. much easier or tolerable with a simple change rather than giving up the radio gig all together, if that was a possiblity.

8. Jabob

Jabob 25+ Posts

Chip and Sean WANT the 2-4 slot because it's better for both of them, schedule-wise and family-wise. As many of you have noted, Chip's DMN demands really can hamper things in their current time slot, plus Sean has other commitments too (as we've heard). This will work better for both of them.

David being let go was a corporate decison (Simmons Media), not a decision by the brass at ESPN here in Austin. David, much like Chad back in October, was victim of corporate budget cutbacks. It sucks, but unfortunately that's how business in the corporate world is...........even in radio.

Chad being paried with Ketch will be a good thing. It will take some time for them to gel and get their chemisrty down, but eventually it will be a good show. Chad is a "radio guy", Ketch isn't, so this will give their show structure. Chad will keep things on track, which will allow Ketch to just be Ketch, which I find entertaining.

9. LadyDee

LadyDee 25+ Posts

You may be right. I guess afternoon drive wouldn't be the best schedule if you just added to your family and have all the traveling issues. Does Sean have another job too?
    1530 does need to do something with their signal. I can get the station in my car but not in my house.(round rock).

10. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Maybe you need to do someting with your house! I am keeding. Have you maybe rearranged your antenna? There are a lot of things in a house to obstruct a signal and cause interference. I went through this when situating my xm satellite. I always got decent reception but in other places it is much better.

Also, if you are at home you can stream it online through your computer speakers. That may be the quick and best fix for ya.

11. LadyDee

LadyDee 25+ Posts

I think it may be my stereo. I can barely get any FM stations. Never had a problem with the stereo when I lived in Austin but out here in RR it doesn't seem to get a thing.

12. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

I believe 1530 is supposed to have their new transmitter/tower with stronger signal by the end of this month.

13. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Do you have the antenna properly attached to the stereo? Even in RR you should pick up tons of FM stations. It is def. your end of things. Make sure the wire antenna, if that is what you have, is inserted or clipped into the right place in the back of the stereo for starters.

14. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

It was good to hear Chad back on the radio this afternoon. Didn't get to hear much of the show though.

15. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

ketchum is awful. i had to just turn it off today.

chip brown and chad hastings would be a winner.

16. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

During Chad's signoff, I kept waiting to hear him The Zone. I usually am driving home from work during the 630-7pm hour so I normally got the signoff. it was weird not hearing him say it but am glad he is on the radio.

17. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

It was great to hear Chad Hastings back on the air, and he sounded very happy to be back. He was almost chortling all the time. Ketchum may evolve into a good radio sidekick, hope it works out. ESPN 1530 now has two strong shows, from 2-7 p.m. Sorry, 1300, unless there is a Longhorn broadcast, I won't be tuning in except for Bucky in the mornings.

18. eriff

eriff < 25 Posts

I made the afternoon switch months ago. Sean and Chip are good together, and I think Chad will go well with Ketch. Bucky has not been as good without E and the rumor now is that he might be moving to KVET FM. I listen to Sirius in the morning for the national shows, they all go downhill in the afternoon, so then I move to 1530.

19. cbs

cbs 500+ Posts

I loved the Chip, Sean and David pairing.

But I can't stand the Chad/Geoff pairing. I have had to change the channel both afternoons, and my commute is only 15 minutes.

I'm not sure who thought it would be a good idea to hire someone that was fired by the station that's going down in flames and then give them the best time slot. But that's not my decision.

20. Jabob

Jabob 25+ Posts

Let me say again...........

Chad was not fired from The Zone.

There were across-the-board budget cutbacks handed down from Clear Channel corporate, and unfortuantely Chad was the victim of it on The Zone.

It's something that happens in every coporation in every business.

21. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Layoff = Firing

22. thechief

thechief First Time Poster

Did Erin get the program director job at 1530?

23. Jabob

Jabob 25+ Posts

If you're laid off, it means they either didn't have the budget to pay you, or had to cut back on the number of positions, etc.....

If they fire you, it means you did something wrong o pissed someone off and they don't want you there anymore.

24. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

either way you don't have a job. I've "laid off" plenty of people - i know how it works.

25. Endust

Endust 500+ Posts

austin sports radio is as bad as "open mike night" circa 1993.

Bucky in the AM - WHY IS BUCKY TALKING ABOUT NASCAR ON A MONDAY MORNING FOLLOWING UT-KU IN THE BIG XII TITLE GAME AND THE NCAA FIELD BEING ANNOUNCED?

SEAN & CHIP - Anderson held this experiment together. Chip is interesting, I'm quickly tiring of Sean's moralizing.

Mook Hour with Ketchum and Hastings - Hastings would be tolerable, were it not for the mind-numbingly inane "yeahhhhhhh, babbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbby" and "stripper MC" schtick. Ketchum is in wayyyyyy over his head. I actually heard this guy boast that an MLB player posted on "my website". That show is basically a 2 hour promo for rivals.com. Ketchum's perspective on sports and culture is like hanging out with a 13 year old.

i'll take craig way any day over the amateur hours that comprise my commute.

26. TX10sfan

TX10sfan 100+ Posts

Congrats to Chad!

27. Theo Huxtable

Theo Huxtable 250+ Posts

Ranking of Austin sports radio personalities:

1. Chip
    2. Erin
    3. Bucky
    Distant 4. Sean
    Distant 5. Chad
    Very distant 6. Craig
    Very distant 7. Geoff
    Not appearing on the list. AJ

PS - remember that fat guy who worked with AJ who thought he was the best even though his first day here we all knew he wouldn't make it?

PPS - How many people listen to AJ and friends in your honest opinion? Two? Three people?

I wish program directors would just listen to me

28. ValpoCory

ValpoCory < 25 Posts

I also tire of Chad's shtick (yeah baby, DJ stripper voice guy, etc). And once you realize that he's an atheist, his stupid news stories about religion are down right offensive.

29. horns19

horns19 25+ Posts

i guess i'm in the minority of listeners that actually enjoys chad hastings' act. i listen to bucky in the mornings, then switch to 1530 and the herd at 9. back to 1300 and rome from 11-2, then 1530 the rest of the day. craig way's stories about how crazy his time at the airport was make me want to inflict bodily harm on myself.

i am excited to hear chad on the airwaves again. bucky is my favorite austin radio guy, and chad is actually second. i've met sean and chip at remotes, and they were both awesome. basically what i am saying is is that austin sports radio is bearable.

on the national level, tirico sucks. i'd rather listen to screamin a. smith. no not really.

30. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts