Chance of Football in 2020

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by AC, Jul 8, 2020.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Why don’t these dumb mother ******* keep their mouths shut until Sept 1 and see what it looks like then. Push the games back to October if you don’t have any balls.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

The Taylor Mayor is very special indeed. He shut down all the parks, public fishing, cancelled all summer rec sports and the 4th of July fireworks, but he allowed Junteenth to be celebrated in the parks after everything else was shut down. The town facebook page blew up and I'm not sure if he'll get re-elected. The artsy crowd is moving in and the Texas Beer Company who opened a few years ago is now very influential in town and is run by one of the biggest liberals I've seen. So yes, Taylor has gone to the dark side. Actually with all of the flight from Austin, Williamson County is about to be lost.

• poop poop x 1
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is the Cotton Club closed

4. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Do you know the Campbells at the sporting goods store?

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I have no doubt the NFL would jump at the opportunity to fill all those Saturday time slots

Further I dont think spring football is even realistic

And if football goes, so does the Mens BBall season too, in all likelihood. As these are the two primary sources of revenues for all college sports programs, then there are probably going to be Athletic Departments going under. Maybe a bunch of them. Would deep pocket schools be willing to dig into their endowments just to comply with Title IX? If so, for how long? What about all those schools without that safety net?

In terms of Title IX-related expenses, I do not think any of those programs self-fund -- maybe UConn womens BBall stays in the black some years. And if it does, its only barely. Maybe some of those Tenn Vol womens teams did too, for a period. But that's it. I do not believe there are any other other examples.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  6. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

The Hoedown Club

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

The PAC is in meetings trying to put together a package to borrow money if they can find a lender. A bond issue might be better if they can get a tax ruling making the interest tax free like municipals.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I expect some boards to be meeting to ask the fundamental question of whether they should remain in the business of televised sports at all. If they had been having doubts, now is the time to bail.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The poaching has already begun
    I wonder if there are any Texas-natives at tOSU who want to come home?

• Hot Hot x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The television contracts are their best collateral to borrow money if that's it, but if schools are losing money and have been, they are going to need the guarantee of the Alabamas, Texas, OUs, Michigans, Ohio States, et al.

Outside of USC and maybe Washington, not sure any program in PAC is credit worthy, unless Nike guarantees Oregon.

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This will get interesting. Could it force the NCAA to do the impossible and grow a pair? Will the players be eligible immediately? Have to be a lot of wet panties in Indianapolis.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

With all the variables and the politics and, with a vaccine on the horizon, I struggle to understand why a spring schedule is not being embraced.

Football and BB can coexist, although there will be some cannibalism. But if the public is comfortable attending events starting in mid/late January, I would think that the enthusiasm would be palpable.

The NFL Draft? Delay it until May or June.

Spring Practice? Gone for 2021 but all the programs will be in the same boat come the fall of 2021.

Given the financial implications of Spring football versus no football, it would seem like a no brainer. Yes, there are variables. But such variables will be considerably less than what we have today.

13. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Spring Football would be weird.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

For one thing the top players would skip it
    Unacceptable risk

15. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

There is nothing I would love more than to see UT and the Big12 stand their ground, have an exciting season, get huge ratings, and the Longhorns and Big12 come out smelling like
    :cowrose::cowrose::cowrose::cowrose::cowrose:

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Nope, wide open.

Are they the new owners? I don't know them.

17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Old owner was Jimmy Campbell. He sold it about 10 years ago and maybe his family now owns it again.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The rumor mill says Nebraska, tOSU, PSU and Big Blue looking to play in another conference for 2020

• Hot Hot x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Good plan

20. RainH2burntO

I love all the chaos these days.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

My best friend of 40 plus years who is a 7 figure donor at UT sent me a text today that said after talking with others in the know, the 2020 football season will be cancelled across the Big 12.

• poop poop x 2
  22. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Won't surprise me in the least.

23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Mix with some teams from the MAC and few other top teams like Air Force and Boise St

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Makes no sense. Wouldn’t it be easier to play the games and control attendance as needed? Have I taken crazy pills? Most games are Oct/Nov when cases will be low and manageable.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Aren't they making that decision at the end of August? I don't see how anyone could know when a decision has not been voted on by others. It seems the Big 12 is the conference who doesn't want to cancel the season the most. I mean they decided to still have a non conference game even though conference only would be the safest. I guess we will see when the time comes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

I think you know this, but just to reassure, you arent crazy, MC. The trend has been in place from the get go with this pandemic and is still in effect. Logical, pragmatic, sensibility gets pressured and squeezed until it, too, begins to wilt under the tide of the day, week, month.
    Cancelling football would be, like opting out of your professional season as a player, an enormous, unecessary waste of time, money, and opportunity.
    This has little to do with reason and everything to do with pressure, propaganda, and the firestorm of man-made circumstances which are making it more difficult to navigate options.
    These sources may very well be correct in their assertions, but I'd also leave the door open for leaks like this be from those not wanting the season to occur. You know the conferences cancelling do not want others to play so the voices will grow louder...and media is going to beat that drum either way. Who really knows? All I know is it is a mistake of epic proportions if it (cancellation of season) occurs....and not because of football's value....because of truth's.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

If conferences quit, schools should still be allowed to opt out and play anyways.
    Maybe they can form the Aint Skeered conference.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  28. RainH2burntO

love this^^^^^^^ Creek

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It’s time for the leaders to drop the dead weight and move forward.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Didn't the fall season practice start this past Friday. I haven't heard any details yet.