Charged for checked bags that are oversized?

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by UTChE96, Dec 28, 2005.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

I found some luggage that I really like. But one of the bags exceeds 62 linear inches (H+L+W). Most airlines are supposed to charge a fee for any bag that exceeds 62 linear inches.

Is this actually enforced? Has anyone ever been charged for this?

2. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

this is correct. probably run you about $75

3. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

They actually get out a measuring tape to check?

4. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Nope but after seeing 984 bags a day, most of the people who work the counter can tell.

5. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

6. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

maybe you pack too much?

7. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I used to skate through with overweight or over sized bags, but nobody ever gets through any more. I got so pissed at Cabela's when I had to repack my expedition bag that I threatened to sue them for selling a bag that, by definition, was unfit for travel. They gave me my money back after much argument.

8. washparkhorn

washparkhorn 2,500+ Posts

It is silly, but it is harder to get the bigger bags through right now without a charge. This is revenue enhancement, more than anything else.

Traveling with a wife and 2 kids, I prefer fewer bags - which means bigger bags. I bought a bag from a well respected luggage company with these dimensions: 21"x 32"x 11". The problem? Most airlines (if not all airlines) charge you a fee if the dimensions are in excess of 62" The Link
    . This bag's dimensions are 64" - meaning I will be charged everytime they catch it (which they did on our first trip with it). Needless to say, I returned the bag.

9. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

I've written Eagle Creek twice that they need to make a smaller duffle. Now, I pull my compression straps to their tightest to get my duffle through, but by airliner definitions, its still too big for carry-on.