Charlie Strong

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Aug 1, 2017.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Some speculation he is a candidate for Mississippi job. How would that affect his buyout?

2. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

I dont believe Ol Miss is in the market to hire a loser like Strong. Strong's Texas performance stank would be hard to overcome in an interview.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How about a twofer? Strong & his "benefactor" Billy Powers?

Over the years, the Ole Miss administration has made some horrendous decisions, but even they aren't that dumb

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Can you imagine sitting in that interview along with a representative from Guinness Book of World Records, who is counting the number of times Strong says, "We just have to get better"?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  5. LonghornDave

I really was pulling for Strong but I believe he was ill suited for the Texas job. The south east is clearly his territory. I suspect there is an element of Mississippi that is wanting to clean house to avoid further NCAA sanctions and Charlie has that Tough Love shtick down pat.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You guys know Charlie already has a job, right?

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The mighty $EC taking a failed Big XII coach? The $EC office would block that.

8. LonghornDave

Yes but I think he is making 500k a year with balloon payments at the end to screw UT on the buyout....

9. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, so why would the structure of his current contract lead him to want to ditch USF for Ole Miss? He will make the same money either way (whether we pay hime or Ole Miss does), and Charlie is a Florida guy. And he's a loyal guy. I don't think it is in Charlie's character to jump ship on a job he just started.

• Like Like x 2
  10. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I got wore out hearing CS say that the very FIRST time he said it...

• Like Like x 1
  11. LonghornDave

Mississippi > USF

12. Sangre Naranjada

And
    Texas>Louisville
    But he may have some less than fond memories of the last time he applied that logic to a job offer.

• Like Like x 1
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I sure do wish him the best regardless. I'm betting he stays at USF for a bit.

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

If they run the table like many are saying they can do he might bail and the Florida job may be open as well at the end of the year also

• Like Like x 1
  15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

As a member of The Florida Foundation for over thirty years, and having been given a membership in the Alumni Association, not no but HELL NO! I certainly don't believe that McElwain is the answer, but I now that Strong isn't the answer to even being coordinator.

• Like Like x 1
  16. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

A cringe worthy classic of the same magnitude as, "It scares you to death."
    I'm not sure which was worse.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He wasn't able to get it done here, so I don't believe he could get it done at another P5 program. USF is probably more his speed.

• Like Like x 4
  18. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Well, there is a recipe for a Texas cake:

http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/the-best-texas-sheet-cake/

... and one for a Mississippi cake:

http://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/mississippi-mud-cake/

...but I couldn't find any recipe for a Florida cake.

Since he was all about "baking the cake, just need to put the icing on top" he's going to have somewhat of a time in Florida without a cake recipe. Mississippi has a recipe waiting for him.

Curiously, the Texas cake recipe I found (linked above ) is a "Texas sheet cake", take out a couple of "ee's" and replace them with an "i" and that's about what kind of cake he baked in Texas.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  19. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

Nothing's impossible... I mean, _iaz even got a job after Texas. :p

Mack was worse because
    a) his being scared to death of everything was something we were laughed at nationally for.
    b) we got to hear how scared he was for years. Years.

This.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

UT screwed itself when it decided to make an unproven coach one of five highest paid coaches in college football giving him $5 million a year guaranteed for years. It is not Charlie's fault he said yes to UT's dumb offer. I do not fault him or USF for responding to it accordingly.

• Like Like x 2
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you. The entire Strong saga falls at the feet of Powers and Peterson and their combined stupidity and inability to discern talent, understand the coaching market, and NEVER knowing what the market price and terms for coaches was.

Again, this is egregious and wreaks of gross negligence, from which I believe The University should have sought financial relief.

• Like Like x 3
  22. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

As they say:

"If you can, do. If you can't, teach. If you can't teach, administrate."

• Like Like x 2
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Places like Mississippi and Baylor were places that needed a guy like him.

• Like Like x 1
  24. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Baylor and Ol Miss will never need an incompetent boob like Strong. Unless the reference for Strong to go to Ol Miss and Baylor is so he may destroy their college football future.

25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If he was in Waco, Baylor would be back to attendance levels in the 10-15,000 level. While it would be poetic justice for the BMD and BOR to have to reach in their pockets to pay for that new stadium, they would deny that just as they deny any knowledge of what was going on.

If he was in Oxford, the majority of the students would leave on weekends thus adding to Strong's legacy yet another title as "the man that killed The Grove".

26. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Rod Babers

• Like Like x 1
  27. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Strong was a winner at Louisville, not at Texas. There were myriad reasons he was not successful here. A couple of bad coaching hires, less talent than the public perceived when he arrived. We all reach a point where dealing with the distractions, pressures and competition leaves us with inadequate resources to excel. Charlie had to be fired because he lacked the energy, focus and applied intelligence of to deal with everything you have to deal with at Texas. Tom Herman seems perfect for the job ... seemingly limitless personal energy along with ability and desire to bring new resources to bear.

Charlie has some admirable virtues and great ability to connect with young people. He did some commendable things at Texas. I think he needs to excel where he is though, before he gets something like an SEC job.

• Like Like x 6
  28. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Agreed with Crockett. He needs to set up his own "brand" at USF before he moves on to something bigger. He brought his sideways, "we've just got to get better," Shawn Watson, core values stuff to Texas and that turned out miserably. Herman wasted no time in trying to bring culture to UH, and although he lost games to teams with seemingly less prestige, at least you can recognize his teams' style.

29. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

That's true but it's more than that. I don't think he had the attention to detail to use all the tools he had at his disposal here, or to address the shortcomings that would acceptable at Louisville but not at Texas. At a lower-tier school, for example, throwing some fatheads on the wall might be fine. That doesn't work when you're recruiting against Alabama, A&M, and other top programs. The lack of attention to detail shows up a lot more clearly at that level, and it makes you look sloppy and unprepared.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

Charlie might be a "good ball coach" which is enough at some places but you don't put "good middle management" in the CEO suite at Texas

• Like Like x 1