Charlie to dismiss 11 players and 4 coaches from USF

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornDave, Dec 23, 2018.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hmmmmm. Sounds like a situation that might be ok if only they were the New England Patriots.

2. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Funny how everyone has become so scared of being called racist. Its an easy claim when you have no fact to offer in a discussion. Everyone is a stellar sunday morning coach. Red is exceptional at business and just called it like anyone not afraid of the R word knew it would be. Face it, Charlie Strong is an awful head coach. He would suck just as bad if he were white. Skin color does not make you good or bad at coaching or anything else. When you enter big time college sports you better win and graduate the kids. Showing up clueless week after week at news conferences is unacceptable in big time jobs. Having to have the prez and ad fly with you to Tulsa to get an OC is pathetic as well. I liked Gilbert but he too seems destined to wear the CS toilet seat. Quit throwing up the I am not racist and call a crap job what it is. Charlie was a revolving door in a tornado with the cliches of "we have to coach better", "we have to prepare better", etc. You are making 5M a year so stumble and jerk thy head from thy arse and produce or bow out. If you walk out with several years of 5M, you are richer but still suck as a head football coach!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

well said, correct he was a terrible hire and worse coach.

4. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

He hasn't been here or had any effect on the program for 2 years. Give it a rest.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

That settles it. No one can discuss anything more than 2 years back.

• Funny Funny x 3
  6. I_Dont_Exist

It's not a matter of can. It's a matter of what's the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. horninchicago

I was joking, but if you don't expect this sort of chatter about the worst Texas coach in its history on a Longhorn message board, I don't know what to tell you. Don't read the thread, I guess. That would be easier than convincing everyone not to continue to rail on Charlie Strong around here.

8. I_Dont_Exist

What's easier and what's relevant are not always same thing.

9. horninchicago

I'll check the Posting Guidelines and see if we are relegated to posting only what is relevant. And, thank you for being the arbiter of what is or isn't relevant around here. :facepalm:

10. I_Dont_Exist

Posting whatever you want is your right. Disagreeing it's relevant to today is mine.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. horninchicago

By the way, I'm not the one posting about Charlie.

While I do tend to agree with your sentiment, I just thought admonishing people to "give it a rest" was unnecessary. I'm sure my response to you may have been unnecessary as well.

:hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I_Dont_Exist

No problem. Peace.

13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Do you guys need to go a massage parlor?

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. I_Dont_Exist

Not me. But your inquiry is most telling.

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My point is that little Billie Powers is still "chasing" around campus and drawing a salary. His "legacy" almost set our athletic department back 20 years. Until that son of a ***** is off payroll, I don't want anyone to forget.

I don't blame Charlie. Is there anyone that would have refused the near criminal offer provided him?

16. I_Dont_Exist

I have no knowledge of anyone still accepting a salary from those days. If Charlie's contact called for him to be paid that amount it is what it is.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Billie Powers is still prowling the law school

18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Charlie was clearly out of his league here. We made the right move at the right time cutting ties with Strong and hiring Herman. My posting was a light-hearted jab at readers' funny bones in light of the recent Patriots owner's misadventure with prostitutes.

19. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

No. Seeing as how Mack Brown still gets badmouthed, there is no reason whatsoever to not bring up Charlie Strong, the worst coach in Texas football history who never even had a winning season. Also, if Mackovic still gets brought up from time to time, Strong will get brought up as well and rightfully should.

20. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

You can tell from the title what this thread is about. If you don't think it's relevant and you don't care, don't click on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. horninchicago

DKR hasn't been the coach for years, but people still talk about what he did at Texas.

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

With all these comparisons of past UT coaching regimes on this thread, consider this story/joke.

This could be hillarious, cute, or just fu$&ing stupid, but here goes:
    Fred Akers, David McWilliams, John Mackovic, Mack Brown, and Charlie Strong all arrive at the bar.

Jim Bob Moffett is the bar's bouncer.

After McWilliams picks a Starship tune from the juke box, he and Akers each get a beer. After finishing his beer, 'Field Goal Freddie' Akers quickly slams down a tequila shot, saying "Now that's what I like best, a good kicker for a winning finish at the end!" Charlie asks Akers "Could you pass the peanuts Fred?". Akers replies "Pass? What's that?"

Mackovic frustrates the bar tender by criticizing the bar's meager wine selection. Akers says to Mackovic 'No offense John, but you should be a bit more kind and personable to the staff." Mackovic fires back "I take no offense from you Fred, in fact I've never even seen any offense from you!"

Akers shoots back "John don't be so defensive." Mackovic replies "I'm not being defensive." McWilliams chimes in "He's right Fred, John's never defensive, he cares nothing about defense."

John's face turns a beet red in stark contrast to his whitish hair-not a hair out of place. McWilliams says "John, you better calm down or I'll have to recruit those ruffians at the pool table over there to put you in your place. Mackovic retorts "Recuit?!? You?!? David, you couldn't recruit a thirsty wine connoisseur to sample a 1977 vintage Rothschild Bordeaux!"

Mack Brown, glad handing folks from across the bar, and having already convinced the ruffians at the pool table to give up their first born children for free, walks up to McWilliams and says "maybe I could help you with that, friend." Clueless, Fred chimes in "1977, now that was a great year."

Mackovic heads to the bathroom where he encounters two alumni at the trough-style urinal relieving themselves. Mackovic pushes his way between them and splashes piss on their shoes.

Meanwhile, alerted to the heated argument at the bar, and after talking to Joe Jamail and a few other select customers, Moffett throws both Akers and McWilliams out of the bar and onto the street. While being thrown, Akers shouts "You can't do this, I've only had one losing record my entire time here!"

As Red McCombs arrives to relieve Moffett as the bouncer, Charlie quips to the bar tender "I wonder if I'm safe, I've had nothing but losing records--3 in a row." McCombs glares at Strong and mumbles to himself "I never did like that guy."

Charlie continues, "I guess I could call my players to back me up and protect me." McCombs chimes in "Good luck with that, you've kicked half your best players off the team", as he throws Charlie out the door. Charlie shouts back from the street corner "FU man, you still owe me big time, I'm going to Florida, that's where DisneyWorld is right?!?" Charlie chuckles as he walks off down the street to the bank.

Then Herman walks into the bar. McCombs cautions him, "This place can be a bit rough and unforgiving." Herman replies "Ok, cool. Hook 'Em" as he walks right in. Surrounded by starry-eyed moms of recruits, McConaughey exclaims from the bar "Allright, Allright, Allright...".

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

'77 Rothschild is almost certainly past its prime. Now if you'd said '82, you'd be talking!

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Valid point! Why name our stadium after him if what he did here doesn't matter two years later.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I hear you (although I'm certainly no Mackovic when it comes to wine knowledge; I also try not to splash other guys' shoes when I take a piss). The story needed a year that Fred Akers' Horns did really, really well in, hence 1977. I could have made it 1983, huh...

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  26. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

27. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I would venture a guess not many of you liked Mackovic much, but with all your detailed wine knowledge, he may have liked you. Just don't annoy him by asking him any football questions.

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Mad Dog 20/20 or go home B****es!

30. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

I don't ever recall drinking MD 20/20.

• Like Like x 1