Chatter about coach

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by 22Horn, Mar 19, 2018.

1. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Been quite a bit of chatter on HF about being disatisfied with a certain men's basketball coach since hiring.

Who are some names you believe should be considered as a replacement. Seems we are going no where fast. Some of problems are attributed to one and done (too many), injuries and major illnesses some of which catch up to many of us, poor player development, over-evaluated in high school, cant adjust to speed or physicality of college game. Lots of issues here!

I believe we will see improvement next year with players returning; probably nor Davis or Mo.

So who do you go after to get this ship back on a high caliber course.

• Like Like x 1
  2. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I've said it in numerous places on HF already. I think Thad Matta is a big enough name to overshadow our weak basketball culture and command excellence. His health issues are always a concern but if he sorted that out, he's got a lot of good years of coaching left in him. He's really more of an east coast guy though so, I can't imagine he'd ever look at us - even if we had a spot open, which, we don't. Plus it's looking likely Thad Matta's going to Pitt.

Billy Donovan is a guy I'd love to see here. I think he could be on the radar after next season if he doesn't get past the first round of the playoffs with OKC this season and/or next.

There aren't many options right now and we're stuck with Shaka for another year. He will undoubtedly **** the bed next year so, we can necro this thread.

What I do know is we absolutely don't need another Rick Barnes or Shaka Smart. We need a next level head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
  3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Shaka ain't going anywhere until his contract is up.

Then we should go after that coach from Xavier, if he hasn't jumped some where else

• Like Like x 1
  4. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

After 2018-19 season he’ll have 4 years of contract left worth $13.8M. That’s an absurdly huge buyout. I don’t know how that settles out if he underperforms again next year. We have so much up in the air right now with our roster. I don’t see next season being any less difficult for him.

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He is not going anywhere until after next year at the earliest, so I have no speculation to add. I will speculate when there is a realistic chance of getting a new coach.

• Like Like x 2
  6. HANNAHORN

HANNAHORN 100+ Posts

^^^This

• Like Like x 2