Chaz Patterson Leaving Texas...

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Nov 9, 2018.

1. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I think Oakman nailed it as far as the pg position. I was hoping Chaz would play as a small shooting guard because it was becoming apparent she was not going to match the coaches’ plan at pg. I am more disappointed at this transfer than any in my time as a Texas fan. I do hope Chaz finds the right program for her and Texas finds its next great pg!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  2. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think she ends up at Houston. She’s obviously very familiar with that program and coaches. And their style of play fits Chaz to a tee. They play uptempo basketball and are encouraged to put up a lot of shots.

3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

I'm interested to see if Karen releases a statement on Chaz's departure. IMO, the timing of Chaz's announcement took the coaches by surprise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I don't expect to glean a lot from Aston's press release. It seems like all those from the players and the coaches don't really speak to the underlying issues. I think Oakman and hoopsalot are on target. Aston demands a lot (and very specific things) from her point guards and it seems that Patterson was not what she was looking for at pg. A small shooting guard perhaps is her best role...….at least for Aston. We'll see in the future as she finds her way. I sure hope Patterson finds the right school, coach and system for her to succeed. It is disappointing. And I think the coaches were surprised at the timing.

5. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

As someone VERY familiar with Chaz, this is appalling and ridiculous. She did score over 3000 points all while creating for her teammates in hs. She is a pass and score pg. Key is she can score and handle well under pressure.
    The entire manner with which she has been handled and treated is horrible. She’s probably the best pure shooter on the roster.
    And, NO, she’s not lazy or hard to coach or disrespectful.
    Aston should be ashamed and Texas will win all these preseason games vs sorry teams and then won’t win the big 12. She’ll go to the tourney and lose there too.
    Maybe people should wonder about her coaching?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  6. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I don’t think it’s fair to question Aston’s character as you feel the same about anyone questioning Chaz’s character. But one does have to wonder WTH Aston is doing when you don’t play someone of Chaz’s caliber. And I totally disagree with people that say she didn’t fit the Texas system when her game is very similar to Brooke McCarty’s. In fact, I think she’s better at creating her own shot off the dribble than Brooke was and just as good if not a better shooter. It’s just totally Baffling.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
  7. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

And, yes, same type player as Brooke. Brooke is better floor leader but Chaz is better shooter. Other than that very much alike.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LutherIsMyDog

It sounds like you have info from the Patterson's side. It disappoints me that Chaz is no longer at Texas as I think she was poised for a breakout season (if given the chance). Best of luck to her in the future. Her best days are in front of her.

• Like Like x 2
  9. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

No info from them just know the player well and watched the situation play out.

10. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Seems like a really odd time for a player to choose to transfer. Wasn’t Chaz a really early commit to Texas? Strange. There’s an underlying problem be it attitude, resistance to work in the weight room, lack of effort in practice or whatever. Coach has been fairly consistent in rewarding playing time when a player earns it so there’s a deficiency somewhere. As Destiny said in her post-game interview “stay focused and trust the process”. Good luck to Chaz. Hope she finds the right place for her.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. seanzozo

seanzozo 25+ Posts

It does seem like an odd time. I haven't been to practices, but I've been told that Chaz had trouble running the plays coach wanted her to run. And we clearly saw her stop and pop shots without running the play coach wanted (or even noticing coach yelling at her) a number of times last year.

She's a fabulous shooter, whose defense has grown by leaps and bounds. And there's no question that she plays with heart. I'd love her to stay and play the 2, but there's more depth there, so I totally understand her decision.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

Malcolm disagree all you want. You are a random forum poster who probably knows nothing of coaching or the situation.
    Karma. It’s real. Not for you but for Aston.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Malcolm is a great poster, by the way, with excellent judgment.

It's not about Karen Aston's character, but it might be about her good sense. I guess I should shut up. I don't know the inner situation, but it is all very troubling. Like I hoped for Rellah, I hope Chaz goes somewhere and has a fantastic career.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

about her good sense. I guess I should shut up. I don't know the inner situation, but it is all very troubling. Like I hope

Key here. I doubt any posters do. Blind loyalty. And most of you who seem well informed have also agreed it seems strange. Chaz was effficient in her minutes. Shot well at the scrimmage thing. Why was she not included in three point contest? Was she??? I mean she won the darn thing at McDonald’s. Maybe an attempt to sell you posters in Danni. You know the 1 for 10 Danni?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I can't believe we loss Chaz.
    It was rather weird seeing her not play more minutes this year.
    I did not understand that.
    She score.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  16. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

I do have more info than you all, but go on creating your own scenario. Most of you watched it with your own eyes. It doesn’t take John wooden to see glaring “strange” decisions on playing time, position selection. I’ve always believed a lack of Integrity always comes back to bite you.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  17. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Great observation. I talked about that in the game thread. And if we’re being honest Chaz should’ve been sub into the game for Danni because she wasn’t playing well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

Thank you. First truly honest post that exhibits good basketball sense. 1 for 10. Let that sink in. That will beat no one but the dukies or whatever they are called. I don’t know bc they are so weak in Wbb.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

SHE DOES WORK HARD, IN PRACTICE AND IN GAMES...VERY HARD...FACT!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. BBV_Horn

BBV_Horn 1,000+ Posts

NO DEFICIENCY...this was poor treatment of a player as I see it, plain and simple.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I know I’ve gone on and on in this thread about Chaz’s lack of playing time and her transfer. As a fan of the team I truly believed that Chaz could have been Vinnie “the microwave” Johnson for this team. And losing someone of her caliber is going to impact this team in a negative manner IMO.

Coach Aston has done a very good job of rebuilding Texas into a top 10-15 program but we’re at the stage now with the talent on the roster where it’s time for the Coaching to match the talent that she has assembled. The IN game Coaching/Adjustments have been questionable and as a fan I just want her to get the most out of the talent on the roster. Unfortunately her decision to not play Chaz and because of it her transferring has set the program back IMO.

Don’t tell the players to work hard in the weight room and on the court if you’re Not going to try and improve individually as a Coach! :mad: :soapbox: I’m Done.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I said I was going to shut up, but I can't. It's too disturbing that this happened. Yes, I am an outsider who has no idea what happens in practice. Nonetheless, based on what we see outwardly, Karen blew this bad. I don't buy for a second that Chaz doesn't work hard in practice and in the weight room. Basketball is obviously her life's passion. There is no outward hint of an attitude problem. (Maybe that wasn't true with Rellah.) As to the theory that she doesn't run the plays Karen wants...I didn't realize Karen runs plays. I guess I'm getting tacky there. But I'm just thinking about the beautiful three pointers I saw at the McDonald's game and so far this year in her limited minutes. And also about her quickness. Karen herself was quoted as saying that the improvement in both Chaz and Destiny over the summer was "miraculous." There's always the possibility that she was being "taught a lesson" by withholding playing time. The Rick Barnes approach. I don't think that generally works very well. Or, the possibility Moooooo mentioned that the coaches didn't care if she transferred (i.e., that they didn't think she was much of an asset to the team, or even more dramatically, that they wanted her gone.) I have trouble buying that. The word "baffled" that someone used above is the perfect word for this. With that, I really am going to stop talking about it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Chazz has been at Texas for over a year. How come you never posted on here before today? You are simply here to stir the pot. You have no facts, only innuendos.

So, don't act surprised when veteran posters on here don't believe what you have to say.

You come here to dump on our head coach, and a new player like Danni Williams who has actually proved it on the court and in the classroom. Shame on you!

• Agree Agree x 7
    • poop poop x 2
  24. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

You are the one who has shown zero integrity with your posts. Total lack of class, as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

How is that a fact? BECAUSE YOU USE ALL UPPERCASE FONT ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Guess you talked yourself out of shutting your mouth; how convenient.

It's like when people start out a sentence with "I don't mean to offend you . . . " before they insult you . . .

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 1
  27. Oakman

Oakman Guest

Great response I am not a veteran poster here so I didn’t respond but i was quite taken back and offended by the rude remarks.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. HScoachhtx

HScoachhtx < 25 Posts

Moooooooo you know nothing. But again, you can watch just the public events and see the obvious. I like Danni actually. But any coach with sense who has a plethora of other options takes a kid out at like 1 for 6. Heck put Jo Taylor in. She shoots better than that.

Also moooooo, the above was a quoted response. I do know the inner.

Don’t care about stirring anything , you all will see. Aston’s roster full of top recruits = very limited results. Yes a good record each season but she schedules weak teams aside from sec challenge.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  29. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just leave. You are adding nothing here, except making yourself look like a bitter fool. Dumping on Coach A and Danni Williams is all you've managed to do. No class whatsoever.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. LutherIsMyDog

You must be getting Texas confused with Baylor. Each year, Aston has scheduled very tough, non-conference opponents. Dating back to the 2014 season, each year Texas' schedule is front loaded with Tennessee, Mississippi State, Stanford, South Carolina, UConn, Florida State. There was discussion on Hornfans during the 2016-17 season that our non conference schedule was so tough (UConn, Miss State, S. Carolina, Standford, Tennessee) that those games resulted in the team being overly fatigued by the end of conference.

Your reference to our non-conference schedule shows either your bias against Aston/Texas or that you are not as familiar with the Texas program as you pretend to be.

Like @Moooooo, you are taking personal barbs at Danni after she's played one game at Texas. BTW, Danni was a completed bad@ss in the preseason 3 point contest at Gregory Gym.

• Agree Agree x 5