Cheap, small HDTV

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Macanudo, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Where the best deal or place to look for deals.

I need to replace the TV that was in our den. Might as well get an HD set but this is within reach of an 18 month old and a 3 year old. No reason to buy anything too nice. I saw a Vizio 20" LCD for $230 at Overstock earlier. It's on sale today, down from $349.

EDIT: NM on that POS. 1. It's out of stock and 2. it's refurbished.

2. MizzouSnives

MizzouSnives 500+ Posts

if you're going to order it online, check newegg and tigerdirect. they ususally have good deals going, i was about to snag one for the superbowl but it wouldn't have been delivered in time, so i went to costco-- and costco pwns.

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

One more thing... Am I going to need anything special to connect a standard DVD player to a HDTV besides the cord (three prong red, white, yellow) that I am using for the current TV?

4. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

How old is your standard DVD player?

Hopefully the TV will have those RCA inputs, but if you have component, HDMI, or DVI outputs on the back of your DVD (and corresponding inputs on the HDTV), your picture will look a lot better.

For one that small, I probably wouldn't worry about changing the cables though.

5. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

This thing plays kid's videos 90% of the time. Picture quality is not really an issue.

6. HoustonHorn

HoustonHorn 250+ Posts

I have a 19" Samsung in my kitchen that is pretty nice. I paid $400 for it back in September. It looks like its about the same price now, though, so that may be more than you want to spend. I think it is the T1953 model. You can get it pretty much any electronics store.

One thing you could do is look at a few different models and then go to Amazon, Epinions, and CNET, and see what prices they have from their online distributors.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Fry's has a 32" LCD in today's newspaper flyer for $447.

8. I_Live_In_OK

I_Live_In_OK 500+ Posts

/ Frys is where I usually check first.

The Link

IMO you need to be all over this one, Mac. It's not small or incredibly cheap, but it appears like a good deal.

9. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Note that Fry's online prices DO NOT necessarily correlate with their in-store prices.

10. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

Mac,

Right now is a good time to buy an LCD. The price wars are coming to an end as demand is meeting supply. Just an FYI. I like the LCD since I can mount it to the wall ..from reach of the kids.

I would start with Costco and then check out Frys. Frys owns if you can hit the one day sales. Costco has really good everday prices and every once in a while they have bad *** coupons to upgrade size for free.

11. longyak

longyak 250+ Posts

If you just playing the kids' videos on it you don't need HDTV. For your use I'd grab a CRT that someone is dumping for their new HDTV. Craigslist is where I'd start or ask around.

12. TenaciousTgarden

TenaciousTgarden 250+ Posts

i got a philips 19 inch at best buy for about $400 i think? i can't remember now. it is gorgeous - the HD picture is amazing.

13. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

We have purchased our 3 smaller HDTVs from Newegg. No sales tax, and they did have the best price each time. We don't have a Costco out here, so that is not an option. Losthubby makes a science out of researching all this stuff, from our cars, the 2 big HDTV's and the smaller ones, etc, putting together spreadsheets with all his info.

I think we may have even gotten my Canon 20D at Newegg now that I think of it.

14. AUinAustin

AUinAustin 250+ Posts

Even though it is for the kids, remember that a 20 inch widescreen iin
    standard definition is a smaller picture than an old 20 inch TV unless you stretch it. I just upgraded my bedroom and looked around a lot. Prices have dropped a lot on larger LCD's but not very much on smaller
    ones. As someone mentioned your best bet may be Craigslist or a closeout price on a standard 19 inch until prices drop on the smaller ones

15. wild_turkey

wild_turkey 250+ Posts

Obligatory "you should just man up and buy a 50" Pioneer Kuro" post.