check it out............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, May 13, 2020.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Mission High late 30's or possibly 1940 football team..........one Thomas Wade Landry is middle of middle Row..........undefeated 12-0 mark his senior season.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

That Landry jawline was visible even at that age. And #72 looks like the guy that would threaten to beat you up for your lunch money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

And both of those guys in the middle of the back row.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Wow, players were small. I spotted Landry right away. Those kids grew up during the depression in a small rough and tumble little town and then many went on to serve in WW2. Landry was a bomber pilot over Europe IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You'd be hard-pressed to find 5 white kids attending Mission HS today. Had to look it up: 0.8% white for the whole district, which comes out to 18 kids. My first teaching assignment had 3 white kids in the whole school. They were bullied mercilessly, but mostly because of personality quirks and not because of being white. One of them farted all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Worster,

Check the size of the 1963 National Championship team. One of the starting OGs was under 170.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I know. 1969 team also had some small linemen too: Mitchell, Dean, Ploetz. Plus you had Steinmark, Spreyer, Wiggington and I think Street. Some of them were under 170, some were ~ 170 ~ and some barely over that.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2020