check it out............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, May 13, 2020.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn 1,000+ Posts

Mission High late 30's or possibly 1940 football team..........one Thomas Wade Landry is middle of middle Row..........undefeated 12-0 mark his senior season.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. George Bailey

George Bailey 100+ Posts

That Landry jawline was visible even at that age. And #72 looks like the guy that would threaten to beat you up for your lunch money.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life 5,000+ Posts

And both of those guys in the middle of the back row.

• Like Like x 2
  4. WorsterMan

WorsterMan 10,000+ Posts

Wow, players were small. I spotted Landry right away. Those kids grew up during the depression in a small rough and tumble little town and then many went on to serve in WW2. Landry was a bomber pilot over Europe IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horns11

Horns11 5,000+ Posts

You'd be hard-pressed to find 5 white kids attending Mission HS today. Had to look it up: 0.8% white for the whole district, which comes out to 18 kids. My first teaching assignment had 3 white kids in the whole school. They were bullied mercilessly, but mostly because of personality quirks and not because of being white. One of them farted all the time.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 5,000+ Posts

Worster,

Check the size of the 1963 National Championship team. One of the starting OGs was under 170.

• Like Like x 1
  7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan 10,000+ Posts

I know. 1969 team also had some small linemen too: Mitchell, Dean, Ploetz. Plus you had Steinmark, Spreyer, Wiggington and I think Street. Some of them were under 170, some were ~ 170 ~ and some barely over that.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 27, 2020