check out the ball handling..............

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Aug 27, 2019.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Horns need to work this into the game plan for the Dawgs.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That play was used by Coach Franke (??) in the early 20s to win the State Championship, and by Louis Ford in 1955 to beat Alice in the 1955 semi finals, but they used a guard. The play later became known as the "fumblerooskie".

Trivia:

Coach Franke's greatest player has a small stadium in Knoxville named after him.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I've heard versions of that trick play called the "Bumerooski" (spelling unknown), sometimes even handing the ball forward real quick back to the Center.

On a related topic, I could swear we (UT) ran the old "Statue of Liberty" trick play in a game a few years back. And many thought that sort of thing was relegated to pee-wee or backyard football!

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

That term was because a reporter that the Oilers threw off the team plane used it to try to get back in the good graces of OA Phillips.

I don’t remember Bum ever running the play; not at Nederland, aTm, Jacksonville, Amarillo, Texas Western, PNG.

He learned the play from Louis Ford. Port Neches ran it against South Park in 1955. Turned into a total cluster. It did not resurface until the last play in Alice and guard Norvell Dorsey took it to the house.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My dad was an Alice High graduate. He was a Sophomore in '55, and that play still hurts him to recall.

6. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

As far as big time ball goes...well, college....I still marvel at the three trick plays on one drive Boise used to defeat OU in the Fiesta Bowl a few years back.

7. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Yes, that was a MOST DELICIOUS way to see the sooners get beat by a scrappy and determined Boise State team!!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1