Chicago

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Hornit, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Hornit

Hornit 100+ Posts

Going to Cubs v. Astros in late July. I've heard that we (family of 4) should stay downtown. Any suggestions of hotels?

Also, other things to see.

2. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Take an architecture/history boat tour. Also, depending on the ages of your kids, you should take them to the science and industry museum (younger kids will like more than 14+ year olds).

Go get some deep dish pizza from giordano's. navy Pier is a waste of time.

3. ElCuernoLargo

ElCuernoLargo 25+ Posts

I second going to the Science and Industry Museum - it was my favorite when I was a kid. Depending on your kids, they might like the miniature rooms at the Art Institute. Millennium park is nearby as well, and a must see if the weather is nice.

Also, have a proper Chicago style hot dog and an Italian beef. I like mine juicy with hot peppers.

4. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

Definitely take the kids to Millenium park to play in the fountain.

5. thornhorn

thornhorn 25+ Posts

I'm also headed to Chicago on the 23rd and would love any recommendations on where to eat and what to do. We're headed to the Cubs game on Friday against Cincinnati. Other than that the schedule is open. Thanks in advance.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

kid friendly stuff, or adult stuff?

Expensive restaurant ideas, or are you only wanting less expensive food?

7. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

"downtown" chicago is a bit vague

my rec is to stay River North area, or Magnificent Mile area

this is where the shopping is, also plenty of restaurants

Was at Mus of Science and Industry a couple weeks ago. It's a must see.

8. thornhorn

thornhorn 25+ Posts

Adult stuff for us. Taking the girlfriend for a long weekend. She's been before, but I haven't. No kiddos for this trip. Thanks.

9. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

As others have said the MS&I is a must see, but look online ahead and plan what you want to see there. Some of the exhibits like the Coal Mine and the German Sub get quite crowded. And the museum is HUGE! So plan your trip. Museum of Science & Industry Also - MS&I is on the south side, near Univ of Chicago, an all day trip.

Field Museum, Adler Planetarium, and Shedd Aquarium are all close together on the lakefront, so it is easy to do bits and pieces of each of those. Field Museum Field Museum is my favorite, but Art Institute is also worth a stop. During the summer, the symphony often practices in the Grant Park bandshell. Nice to grab a sandwich and sit, eat lunch, and listen for free to some beautiful music.

Pizzeria Uno and Due have always been a favorite of mine. Not the stuffed crust pizza, but great thick crust. They are about a block apart at Wabash and Ontario and Wabash and Ohio. Giordano's is what you want if you are looking for stuffed crust.

Wendella Boat tours of the river and the lake have been operating since my parents were kids, and they are a nice little relaxing way to see some of the architecture and the city, especially if you have kids. We did a tour almost every summer and never got tired of it. Wendella Boat Tours

Wrigley Field is a no brainer, go early, stay late and take in all that is Wrigleyville. Make sure the hot dogs are Vienna dogs with poppy seed buns. An Italian Beef sandwich wet with peppers is also on the "gastronomical" must list. Portillo's is good for these, but people usually have their neighborhood favorites too. Portillo's is found in lotsa locations including downtown.

If you are an architecture fan, head out to Oak Park for a Frank Lloyd Wright Tour Shop the Mag Mile and take a look at Water Tower Place. Learn a little about the structures that survived the Great Fire. Brownstone Tavern on Lincoln Ave is the TexasExes headquarters during games.

Have fun! It is a great place to visit. You can't be bored!

10. Hornit

Hornit 100+ Posts

Thanks all.

Lots of good suggestions.

My oldest turns 18 on the trip and my youngest is 10.

11. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

I highly recommend Lou Malnati's Pizza.

Also, you should do the tourist thing and go up the Sears Tower...they have a new feature somewhere above the 100th floor where you walk out into a glass box and look down at the sights below.

[​IMG]

12. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Lived in Chicago for 3 years during grad school.. I lived up "north" though.. like north burbs for school. I would welcome any private messages for particular questions for food. etc.

Wendella boat tour is a MUST.

Also, I don't think anyone mentioned it yet, but try the 'lounge' in the Hancock tower over Sears Tower. It is free to get up there, it is a bit lower.. I think 98th floor, where Sears is 103rd... something like that.. but the positioning of the tower is better to look out over the lake and see more of downtown, and again it is FREE.. you do have to buy an expensive drink, but hey, that is just more of the fun!
    Lou Malnati's is great! The best pizza in the area in my opinion is either at My 'Pi's" the symbol 'pi' really, or buffo's up in highwood.
    Also check outThe Link if you want a GREAT meal. It is the top rated Italian restaurant in the midwest, and the experience is amazing as well as the food. Anyway, I have other idea, if you have specific questions.
    I am really needing to take my wife there. as she has NEVER been there, and it is like my second home

13. Dewbrewer

Dewbrewer 500+ Posts

Gino's East pizza was my favorite. Frontera Grill is really nice for upscale Mexican cuisine (chef is on PBS).

Best bars IMO: Hop Leaf and Map Room.

14. Puffer

Puffer 250+ Posts

chicago pizza and oven grinder co
    boat tour
    wrigley field
    lincoln park

15. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

Don't forget Cubby Bear's place across the street from Wrigley Field. Good food and really cold beer and a lot of locals to mingle with.

16. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

for the adult stuff, definitely eat at la frontera or topolobompo. they are next door to each other and rick bayless is the chef, who is badass.

the best restaurant, if you are into the food art movement is alinea. amazing. for a different, higher end steakhouse, go to David burke Primehouse.

I second the rec. on the hancock tower bar/lounge.

17. lostman

lostman 500+ Posts

Puffer, thanks for the reminder! LP Zoo is great! On the lakefront, nice atmosphere, and animals that are more active than any zoo I have been to. Lincoln Park Zoo

18. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

if you go to the LP Zoo, be careful around their elephants. They are notorious for throwing their poo at visitors. This might sound like a joke, but I promise you this is no joke.

19. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

We hit the trifecta of Lou Malnati's, Gino's East, and Uno all in close proximity in River North last summer. That was a great long weekend.

The river boat tour is a must, views that you can't get elsewhere.

20. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^

that trifecta should be a superfecta and include giordano's.

21. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Buffo's and My Pi's should be on that list. Gino's east was NEVER my favourite. Too much corn in the crust and too heavy on the crust... Buffo's doubledecker pizza is WOW.

I still say eat the best meal of your life at Gabriel's in Highwood.

22. jrotten

jrotten 25+ Posts

Kayak Chicago -- Architectural/History Tour

The Link

It's a lot of fun and, if you're not careful, you may learn something.