Chicken-Poop AD of the Week

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Oct 1, 2021.

1. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Absolutely not but early on they played Tex....nevermind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I have a feeling Texas and OU will be told to schedule cupcakes in late October by the SEC overlords soon enough.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I'm pretty sure they do it for TV exposure. They start conference play earlier than any other conference when most of the country is playing cupcakes. This gives them some prime time exposure with lots of eyes because everything else is wall paper. They then layer in those cupcakes later in the year with at least one or two marquee games in conference every week that will still be prime time viewership. I'm pretty sure it's all about the revenue.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

It's actually a great strategy. If one must lose, it's better to do so early.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Rice is the only team approaching a cupcake that I want to see on the schedule. And Rice is for 2 purposes: a "home" game for the Houston alums, and recruiting by planting our flag in Houston.

SEC or no SEC, I want to see good non-conference teams on the schedule. Since we'll be playing a lot of teams from the South and will have that region covered, we should load up on California and Arizona teams for recruiting purposes. Bijan is from Arizona, as is Liebrock. We've also cherry picked top California talent a lot before.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Sound logic. I imagine the California and Arizona teams would line up for that. It's mutually beneficial.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I didn't mean the SEC will say ONLY schedule cupcakes. I said the SEC will say schedule a cupcake in November. It's pretty obvious the SEC conference schedule will continue to have games earlier in September and openings in November. See Alabama played Florida on September 18 and is scheduled to play New Mexico St on November 13.

Our recent cupcakes have been Louisiana Tech, Tulsa, San Jose St, UTEP, and Rice. If those five were scheduled by Texas under the SEC, I can see Texas filling the November opening with them. Texas will still be free to schedule a marquee opponent in week 1 or 2.

8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't forget the $EC only plays 8 conference games so that leaves 4 OCG's.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Will the SEC still only play 8 after we join? Hard to say right now.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Expansion to nine SEC games would make sense. Four pods of four teams each; play three in your pod plus two each from the other three pods.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

10/30

I don't see any glaringly weak out-of-conference opponents for the big boys this week.

Kudos to the brave ADs of the land for bravely scheduling worthy opponents (or conference opponents that they had to schedule...). And the bards and minstrels sang songs, extolling their bravery!

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This week...

It's Tom Holmoe of BYU:

[​IMG]

The Cougars scheduled Idaho State---NOT Boise State, Not even the Idaho Vandals. Rather, we're talking about the Idaho State Bengals. The 1-7 Idaho State Bengals got punked 48-17 by Northern Arizona, 31-10 by Portland State, and 35-14 by U. of North Dakota earlier this year. Nice way to pad your record there Holmoe.

BYU is heading into the Big 12 soon, and it will be time to start putting some meat on the non-conference schedule.

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    A disapproving look from Brigham Young.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Without having gone to look at historical records, is it a program that had a decent record five years ago when the contract was likely signed?

After all...at the rate Texas is going, there could be some AD's that thought they signed a contract to play a good team and then got...the current version of the 'horn debacle.

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

5 years ago (2016), Idaho State was 2-9--playing in the Big Sky Conference. They were also 2-9 in 2015, and 4-7 in 2017.

They post such terrible records playing teams like Sacramento State, Portland State, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, North Dakota, Eastern Washington, ... , and now ... BYU.

2016 Idaho State Bengals football team - Wikipedia

15. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

So...they got an invite to the Revenue Bowl.

The reality is that the cupcakes benefit the team getting killed far more than the ones doing the killing. Some programs basically get their budget through the *** kicking game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

That's a cupcake, alright. Do you think BYU toughens up the OOC schedule when it goes B12?

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I do. It's much easier to schedule 3 or 4 OOC games than all 12.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Also, once they have the P5 label, suddenly teams will be more willing to play them.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What do you think folks?

Florida scheduled Samford.

Alabama scheduled New Mexico State.

Army scheduled Bucknell (who lost to Fordham by 45 points).

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Except for Army, it's generosity giving financial help to the less fortunate. (Yes, I paid attention in church Sunday morning)

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Which of the following may have been in the mind of Alabama's AD when he scheduled New Mexico State:

1. We should do what we can to help those underfunded New Mexico State Aggies' program.

-or-

2. Let's pad our record with an easy W. These are some aggies we are certain to beat and beat badly.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

3. NMSU has at least been D-1 for decades

23. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Clemson -40 hosting UConn...

Alabama -52 hosting some high school...

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. humahuma

humahuma 1,000+ Posts

Ala wins the chicken-poop

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'll haver all of Johnny Tyson's "chicken poop" delivered to Bellmont if Sark will deliver wins and Championships like Saban.

26. DrRad

DrRad 250+ Posts

Texas &M vs Prairie View A&M Nov 20!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Very nice catch there. And that takes the cake for this week.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:atm:
    Ross Bjork of Texas A&M wins this week's Chicken Poop AD of the Week for scheduling mighty Prairie View A&M as a non-conference foe. As with other current ADs, to the extent his predecessor first signed the dotted lion with Prairie View A&M and put them on the schedule, Bjork stands in his shoes now so he owns it. Way to pad that record aggies. Vintage SEC non-conference scheduling. When some alums said they wanted more games played in the State of Texas, they meant against the likes of TCU, SMU, UH, even UTEP...

[​IMG]
    Ross Bjork: "C'mon guys, they're from Texas and have "A&M" in their name. It will be sort of like playing with ourselves..."

Speaking of aggies playing with themselves...:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    "A&M" is gonna win all right, I guarantee it.

• Funny Funny x 3
  29. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Go Panthers!

• Like Like x 1
  30. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

You gonna' give it to the WVU AD this week, Chop?

• Funny Funny x 3