Chicken Sandwiches

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Chop, Nov 9, 2019.

1. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

So I went to the local Popeye's to try their much-heralded new chicken sandwich. Apparently, customers have started fist fights over this food item, and they ran out a month or two ago. It's now available again. I've always liked Chik-Fil-A and still do. The problem is all Chik-Fil-A's anywhere near us are perpetually crowded and it takes a long time in the drive thru. Apparently, the SJWs really hate Chik-Fil-A. I like the place.

But... this new Popeye's chicken sandwich (I got the spicy one) is even better than Chik-Fil-A. This is literally the best chicken sandwich I've ever had. So it does live up to the hype. Hopefully it will take some pressure off the Chik-Fil-A lines as well. The drive thru at Popeye's at lunch yesterday was backing up the traffic in the street. Yeah, it's real, real good.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Demographics drive restaurant locations and these two franchises aren't usually in the same cluster. Chik-Fil-A are plentiful in affluent suburbs. To get from home to a Popeyes I have drive about 8 miles. In a pinch you might try the chicken sandwich at Dairy Queen. It seems like they are trying to as closely match the Chik-Fil-A as the DQ chefs can make it.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  3. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

Popeye's chicken sandwich has a lighter, fluffier batter than Chik Fil A. It's better, and the lines are still very, very long. Hopefully, this will take some pressure off the Chik Fil A lines, and they'll even up after a while in a sort of equilibrium. I don't see either of the two going away.

Popeye's franchisees don't seem to be as rigorously screened (or generally as competent) as those at Chik Fil A. But wow that Popeye's recipe!

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 5,000+ Posts

Agree that Popeye's has a quality recipe, BUT consistency from Popeye's location to location is nonexistent, but then there is no consistency in the same location from one visit to the next.

Also agree that Chick Fil A has better screening and training of its people. I think Popeye's requirement is "breathing".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

The crispiness of the Popeye's sandwich kicks the hell out of CFA's AND they're open Sunday!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

This is all very true.

But ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh that spicy chicken sandwich recipe. The bread is good too. Popeye's excels in the company-level kitchen "science"/"art" part of coming up with good recipes and food. Even their red beans and rice is a great side order.

You're right about their consistency though. They're a lot like Luby's was on that front--some Luby's were great, some were definitely not so great. The in-store manager is key. Hire anyone with a pulse, and you'll get the expected results.

7. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

And now Chik Fil A has just bowed to PC pressure and cut off their long-standing donations to the Salvation Army and the FCA.

8. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I've been to Popeyes 3 times and not come out with a chicken sandwich. Round one, came inside. Only 3 customers ahead of me, but the one in front was being VERY exacting about how his sandwich should be prepared. Lady taking his orders had poor English skills, didn't know much about process and could not convey that she understood what the guy was talking about. Not a fun situation to watch and the longer it went... like 3 minutes... the worse I felt. I had to move on. Second time I went, long line at the drive through and the lobby was closed. Plumbing truck parked out front. My appetite for the chicken sandwich felt satiated without a purchase. Next time, I drove by a DIFFERENT Popeyes and the line was 10-12 cars long and it wasn't exactly moving like the McDonalds breakfast line.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

There few things in fast food purchase that irritate me worse than somebody in front of me being very particular about preparation of fast food. Look, take what they got … except don't let em put ketchup on a burger... and move on. You want a precisely prepared hamburger... go to The Palm.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  10. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

Well, this Popeye's chicken sandwich is getting out of control. People are starting fights over it (see videos below). It's the best chicken sandwich on the market, and it's not even close. Still it's not worth getting physical and fighting over, and possibly going to jail for. This just reinforces the comments above about the caliber of some of Popeye's employees. Also, something about Popeye's makes women want to fight. Maybe that's what happens when you name your restaurant after a sailor best known for fist fights with a guy named Bluto.

Winning comment: "Popeyes hiring .."you have to know how to throw down" is a requirement"

Popeyes New Chicken Sandwich Causes Fights Nationwide

Popeye's employee jumps over counter to assault another employee in the customer section:

Women Fight Over the Last Chicken Sandwich At Popeyes

"The Best of Popeye's Chicken Fights Compilation":

(at 1:25 a tough looking dude gets pissed that they're out of chicken sandwiches, so he jumps through the drive thru window to assault the employee who is hitting him with a broom; big manager subdues him)

"Man stabbed to death over cutting in line to get Popeyes chicken sandwich in Maryland":

GET A GRIP PEOPLE!

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  11. Chop

Chop 1,000+ Posts

Want to start a riot at an LSU game? Make the announcement: "Popeye's chicken sandwiches are now being sold at the East side concession stands."

12. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I've actually eaten a Popeye's Chicken Sandwich! Great food and hassle free service at a restaurant in Grapevine. I like it a little better than the Chik-Fil-A. The buns are toasted and the wrapper is left open so you don't get the soft steaminess of an enclosed hot sandwich. The seasoning was hot and spicy and pretty good, but Chik-Fil-A spicing aligns more with my preference. The Popeye's sandwich seemed a little heftier and more filling. Great product and just a bunch of peaceful families dining in Grapevine when I was there.