Chip Brown talks about Chris Simms

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Tums, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Tums

Tums 100+ Posts

This is a pretty blunt piece with some first hand quotes by Rod Babers.

While I really truly believe Chris would get a HUGE standing O from our crowd (like he did during his final 50-20 assraping of aggy, as well as the CB win over LSU), it's hard to argue that the Chris Simms era wasn't a pretty low point in terms of Longhorn fan class. I've never been more embarrassed by stuff happening off the field as I was that night in Texas Stadium.
    The Link

2. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

very interesting read. thanks for posting. Simms definitely didn't deserve the **** that he took. no longhorn does, win or lose. i'm rooting for him to make a comeback. [​IMG]

3. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

Can't blame him one bit.

4. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Damn shame. Chris Simms was actually one of my favorite longhorns of all time, and that was mainly due to the fact that he seemed like a good dude. Hell I wouldn't have known how to handle the situation if it were me trying to decide who to start. I think the world of both Simms and Applewhite and respect both of their abilities.

It's a little f'd up that Applewhite coming back as a coach is bringing all the stupid **** up again. And what I mean by that is for better or worse all that mess is in the past and there it should stay.

5. Texan

Texan 25+ Posts

Anyone that knew Simms roots hard for him.

I know exactly which POS frat that was as well and also know they acted like the biggest *****'s in the world when Simms confronted them. F those MF'ers.

6. UT94Horn

UT94Horn 25+ Posts

Simms always showed a lot of heart. I'll always root for him. Can't wait until he makes a comeback.

Hook 'em Chris!

[​IMG]

7. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I take a lot of crap from friends for my support of Simms, and I've never quite understood why. To me, it's not an either/or thing. Both Simms and Applewhite worked their asses off for UT, and neither deserves anything but respect. I thought the coaching staff made a good decision in a tough situation, and could have been easily justified going the other way.

I think it sucks that Chris hasn't come back to Austin. He should come "home". Most fans recognize him for what he is -- a talented kid who has always handled himself with class.

Ironically, the same could be said for Major Applewhite. Go figure.

8. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

When Major takes over as HC he's gonna hire Chris to be his assistant HC/OC/QB coach.
    [​IMG]

9. lnghrn005

lnghrn005 250+ Posts

One thing you can't question about Simms was his toughness. Playing with a ruptured spleen. I believe he played most of his SR season with a broken finger or messed up throwing hand or something or at least played against Nebraska after hurting his hand. He got a bad rep as a guy who shrunk in big games when really the entire team did and the coaching staff didn't really put the team in position to win those big games.

10. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

There are some folks 'round here who should be f'ing ashamed of the **** they heaped on Chris Simms.

11. Tandoori Horn

Tandoori Horn 25+ Posts

Simms had every chance to help his cause if he didn't fold against OU repeatedly, not to mention the CU debacle at Texas Stadium. Granted some fans go too far, but all he had to do was "drive the bus" and he couldn't even do that right.

12. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

13. longerhorn

longerhorn 25+ Posts

Throwing beers at his car, posting his phone number online where I'm sure he received some ****** up messages as well as e mails, is going ridiculouly ******* far. I also remember the misspelled simms sucks on a mopac south overpass column. Sad.

14. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

15. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

Chris Simms was always a standup guy who did his best. I doubt that the same can be said of most of his detractors.

I was always a fan, and remain one.

As I've said here before, we were damned lucky to have both he and Major.

[​IMG]

16. BeatYaEasyEasy

BeatYaEasyEasy 250+ Posts

If Chris had a jersey that said "McCoy" or "Applewhite" on the back, his performances at Nebraska, and I think K-State, in 2002 would be considered to al-time greats. In addition, he and that '02 team were in a position to win the Big 12 South had our defense not folded at Lubbock.

17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I've always said the same... that if his name with Bob Smith from Blue Collar Town, USA, or something like that, there's no way he's booed as much. He was an excellent QB who had just as many (if not more) great games than other recent QBs.

And the real reasons for Major's benchings (bum knees) always got swept under the rug, especially when Simms would throw a pick.

18. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Well, I liked Simms and thought he did a great job while here. He represented Texas well, in spite of many douche bag fans.

Hook em Chris!

19. Beef

Beef 100+ Posts

It still pisses me off when I think about how the Texas fans treated Simms. I knew him very well and he was one of the most down to earth guys on the team. I have been in tons of fights supporting Chris over the years and I still take up for him today. One of his faults was he wanted to win so bad and I believe he tried to do much at times to make that happen. He worked his *** off for the University of Texas and was a great player.

Hook'em Gunslinger and good luck next year tearing up the NFL.

20. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Simms is one of my favorite Horns. People forget how landing him really helped our recruiting. Also, we were in the Big 12 Champ game because of him!

21. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I never did understand how some people could only have room in their hearts for one kid. Didn't they BOTH wear burnt orange?

[​IMG] Chris Simms. I love that kid to this day.

22. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Chris took more crap than any player in recent history and handled it with class and that is something that he will always be remembered for, being a class kid. He is the third winningest QB in Texas history but you wouldnt know it from the way some people choose to remember him. While he definitely had a personal meltdown against CU what QB besides Vince hasnt had one of those games and the OU losses were on the team and particularly the O-line and a lack of any running game at all. People mconveniently forget that Major blew out not one but both knees and had almost no mobility by his senior year, he was a sitting duck back there and no revisionist history will change that. I think it would be great if Chris came back and got the standing ovation reception he deserves at some home game.

23. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

24. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

25. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

I'll never understand the bashing of our own players, especially in public. I've grumbled about some of our less pigmented linebackers in the past, but never mean spirited and never louder than the next person being able to hear me.

I remember some jackhole popping off LOUDLY from several seats back about Simms his SR year. I gave him the evil eye once and when he kept going, I launched into the whole "How about you not talk **** about OUR players. 20 year old kids busting their *** so YOU can puff out your chest to your co-workers all week long about something you had NOTHING to do w/." Closest I've ever been to getting in a fight at DKR.

Mack handled the situation poorly, but the players did a GREAT job w/ a tough situation. Simms brought some SERIOUS star power to this program and he did the best he could. Did he have a bad game or two at really bad times? Sure, but Huck's right, there were MANY other players that dropped the ball in those as well. How can Chris be blamed when Evil Roy drops out of the sky and lands on him in the end zone?

Hook Em Chris and come home bud!! [​IMG]

26. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

27. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

28. PeeJay

PeeJay 100+ Posts

It's strange how the players' take on the situation was diametrically opposite to the fans' take. Chris was close to being the most popular player on the team and Major was not very popular at all.

29. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

30. Black Ninja

Black Ninja 500+ Posts

Is what PeeJay speak of true? I've never been close enough to the situation to know.