Chris Beard is coming

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Gontex2, Apr 1, 2021.

1. FarawayFan

FarawayFan 25+ Posts

Press conference is at 11e/10c on LHN - no doubt it will be repeated

• Like Like x 1
  2. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

The bleeding butt-hurt from the South Plains is monumental. Joe Yeager wrote an article comparing Beard to Billy Clyde Gillespie calling them sociopaths. My brother is a Tceh alum & HUGE Raider fan. He (& others) are convinced that Chris intentionally set the scenario as a big stab in the back "F-U" to Tceh. Kinda reminds me of the David McWilliams deal. I was living in the Hub City @ the time. The entire town/region was 100% convinced that McWilliams & UT conspired to "F" Tceh over. To hear them talk, they were convinced that the Legislature established UT to screw Tceh & to keep them down.

All I can say is that their tears taste so good...almost as good as aggy tears. Their delusion is hilarious as they are mind-boggled why anyone would want to leave the beautiful High Plains.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

upload_2021-4-2_9-39-51.png

• Like Like x 1
  4. WorsterMan

Yeah, I've heard some of the butt-hurt quotes floating around out there....

Many Tech fans and people around that program are conspiratorial, delusional and think everyone is out to get them. I have a distant cousin that is a Tech grad and he is STILL convinced UT set out to screw Tech over by stealing David McWilliams.

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tech basketball has been good before. They have a pretty good program history, and a real good basketball arena. They’ll be fine. Somebody decent will want to coach out there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I don't understand how Beard coming here is shocking to anybody... I guess the same type of people who are convinced The Eyes is racist?

• poop poop x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Tech has us beat on:

Basketball arena, until the Moody Center opens.

Frequency of tornados.

Flat landscape.

Alergies aren’t so bad out there, except for dust.

Campus VD per capita.

Alcohol consumed per person at tailgates.

Parking availability.

You see. Plenty of things to attract a new coach.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Watching the introductory presser on LHN. Never heard Beard speak until now but the emotion and passion are infectious. Hearing Sark at his convinced me we got the right guy and now hearing Beard, holy crap we got the right guy! Hook’Em!

:bevo:

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Delusion can be illustrated in many ways. One way is to think everybody is thinking about you.

The idea that The University of Texas would make monumental coaching decisions SOLELY to keep Texas Tech down (really?) is comical.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Darn I missed the presser.
    I hope he turns out to be the right hire

11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It will be on LHN 100x

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 6
  13. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

CDC with something of a Freudian slip "when we set out to buy...find a basketball coach..."

Otherwise love the enthusiasm from CDC and Beard.

14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I've been out to the Tceh campus only once when I was in High School to look it over. First day there was the stench of the feedlots hanging over the campus. The next day, there had been a dust storm during the night and everything had dust covering it, including my car. They were immediately off my list. Except for the caprock area which is nice to look at, Lubbock is flat and nasty assed ugly.

My son came in when he was in high school with some info on Tceh. Showed it to me and I promptly threw it in the fireplace.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You are a good Dad.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I will say this about Lubbock. Back in 1983, me and a friend ran out of gas about ten miles on the way into town. We'd driven from Dallas, a typical fear and loathing trip, to hook up with some friends. My buddy was driving and he was able to hitch a ride into town for gas very quickly as I stayed with the car. In the time it took him to get back (not long), at least four people stopped (I was on the shoulder of the freeway) and asked me if I needed help. It was amazing. For that, I've always been good with Lubbock. Add to that the cute girls and the usual party college atmosphere and you could do worse.

• Like Like x 7
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

IMHO, that area of Texas has the nicest people (on average) of anywhere in the State.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

I live in the heart of Red Raider land, I get to hear that crap all the time. A family member recently assured me that Tech had equal if not bigger sources of money to work with and would keep Beard with ease. With a quick google search I showed him a few figures relating to endowments, athletics budgets, etc. All fake news, no way Texas has a $31 billion endowment to Tech's $1.3 bill. No way Texas has the largest athletic budget to Tech coming in #43. Texas has a school of journalism that turns out propaganda artists. On and on and on and on...

• Funny Funny x 4
  19. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Stop being so condescending.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I met a man on the plane between Kauai and Honolulu. When he learned I was from Texas, he told me when he hitchhiked across the US. He said the nicest folks were in West Texas, often providing him a room and a shower to spend the night.

• Like Like x 3
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

What's a yute?

22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Johnny Depp remarked about the same after his car broke down in the Panhandle. He thought the people were trying to scam him or something. Then he realized they were just genuinely nice people, and there was a good Samaritan behind every tumbleweed. They didn’t even recognize him.

Makes you wonder why can’t most people be like that in Austin, Houston, or DFW?

• Like Like x 1
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The folks from Molokai I’ve met (there aren’t many of them) were like that.

Anyhow, it’s good to have Coach Beard. As good as Shaka was, and as high as he set the bar, I suspect things will get even better.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  24. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

my cousin vinny..... joe pesci's yankee accent, meaning "youths"...

25. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Have you ever been to Houston? ( have sarcasm meter on)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2021
  26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Going on a limb here that CreakyHorn knows that.

27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Tech has every reason, emotionally, to be upset. But their frustration is not rooted in logical thinking.

Didn’t Beard graduate from the University of Texas?

Didn't Beard coach on a BB staff at the University of Texas?

Did they really believe that Beard was a long timer in Lubbock?

Beard returned to his alma mater. Another, even more successful coach in this conference left a more successful program in 2003 to return to his alma mater. His name is Roy Williams.

The Tech folks need to let it go.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. WorsterMan

So, are you the serious parent in the room?

Sorry tech, we are the Joneses.

I don't give a rat's *** if that is condescending!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

We haven't been the Joneses in over a decade. Alabama,Ohio State,Clemson are the Joneses.

• Hot Hot x 2
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  30. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I saw computer screen shots the day Shaka went to Marquette showing his intent. I also knew April 1 was the day the price went down. This was happening from the start. No surprises. Only question now is how it all ends up.

• Winner Winner x 1