Chris Beard is coming

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Gontex2, Apr 1, 2021.

1. UTexRulz23

UTexRulz23 500+ Posts

Brown will enter draft. Not returning to Texas.

2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Ready or not has nothing to do with it...

Good luck. We hardly knew ya'....

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

and will not miss you.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

My opinion: Whoever is “consulting” Greg Brown = catastrophe!

I know from years of experience in the NBA = this kid needs 2 more years! Or G-League!!!!

Wow!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

My father retired from Duke Energy's predecessor (Texas Eastern) back in the day here in Shreveport before they moved everything to Houston.

6. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

You get paid to play in the G-League. Against other guys who were as good (or better) than most college opponents. With a CBA that allows for way more practice time. There aren't a million success stories about going from G-League to NBA, but there are a few.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Worst case he has a long career in Europe or China. It’s not a bad life. Variety is the spice of life if you know what I mean.

• Like Like x 2
  8. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

Our son played overseas for a couple of years and made 6 figure money plus perks until the economy tanked over there.

He came back and played in the G-League (known as D-League back then) until an injury stopped his B-ball career. Not sure how much they paid him, but don't believe it was near as much as he made in Europe. Although we never discussed his pay over here.

:bevo:

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

P. J. Tucker played in Europe for years.
    Brown is going in the first round.
    He will not play in Europe.

10. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Several of the latest mock drafts don't have Brown in the 1st round...

11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Brown has immense raw talent, but he needs much development and experience before he's NBA ready.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He will be picked up by an NBA team on potential alone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I agree 100% and I also believe he needs 2 things: (1) competition against athletes with his athletic ability (exists maybe once a year in college) (2) get away from his comfort zone in Austin. In other words, he needs knocked down and built back up properly. I can see him being an NBA great or complete washout depending on his ability to be coached. He has the tools to be great, does he have the will?

14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yes, I would worry more about his personality and ego.
    He will be humbled.
    Depends on how he takes it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

This is exactly why baseball has a minor league system. A player can be exposed if he comes up thru the system to the majors too quickly; this is especially true for pitchers.

In B'ball I can remember there was a high school kid that got drafted in first round by the Mavericks, Leon Smith. He bombed out quickly. I think he had issues, other than B'ball, if memory serves, so this may be less than a stellar example.

I realize there are others such as Kobe that were instant successes, but there are always going to be exceptions.

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

MILB is kind of an island in terms of player development and bridging the gap from youth to the majors. There's nothing else like it, particularly in terms of gate receipts and public support. I don't see a lot of D-League teams pulling in what a "normal" AA minor league team can do on a weeknight. Plus, there doesn't seem to be a lot of animosity between "minors vs. colleges" in many towns. I know how the majors feels about college kids, but I don't sense that competition in terms of "you're stealing our publicity" when it's both a college and a minor league baseball town.

Basketball just needs to go back to what was "quasi-working" from before the one-and-done years. Let kids declare and guide them as best as you can to make sound decisions.

When I think of sports like golf, tennis, etc., I think there is a place for that development path with basketball, but because of selfishness and listening to idiots who want a piece of the pie, it's not going to be readily available.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

More accurately "want all the pie".

Reminds me a great player we had, who won multiple accolades, but was pushed into letting three Texas Exes with no experience represent him. His NFL career was over before it started, since the mental midgets negotiated him down from a sure second round to fifth round. They thought it would be cool to have their new client rolling around Austin in a MB AMG, which they couldn't and didn't pay for.

He was a great young man, wonderful representative of The University, and remains today an outstanding human being. Those three, not so much.

• Like Like x 2
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

To your valid point, if you have a system set up that allows for the Leon Smiths and the Kobes, it works for everyone. There doesn't have to be an exception or a rule. The system allows for both.

19. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I believe Brown got some bad advise but its his life. He didnt even start part of the year on his own team. Not sure if that was a legit decision but giving shaka the benefit of the doubt, Brown would have skyrocketed his status with another year of college and applying himself to be a difference maker like we all hoped when he came in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No doubt, barring serious injury, he would have improved his draft status by playing a year for Beard.

21. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'd argue that going to Texas for a year is what hurt his draft status, not the fact that he didn't remain at Texas for a 2nd year. If this was 2004, he probably would have been taken in the Top 7 of the draft on spec alone. It's why we need to just dump the one-and-done experiment (which has done Texas no favors... even Durant) and go back to the "allow humans to make their own sports-related work decisions" like baseball, hockey, tennis, golf, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Any news on Sims? I just did a search and found nothing. He would certainly be a great player to have back on the team in my opinion. How many guys can guard most point guards and centers?

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

I believe Sims put his name into the NBA draft but has not signed with an agent. So he can return if he chooses.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  25. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

OrangeBloods reporting Texas Tech’s Avery Benson is joining the Horns.

• Like Like x 1
  26. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

He averaged 1.3 points and under 1 rebound over three seasons.

27. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Hopefully he is ready to break out.

• Funny Funny x 2
  28. Sangre Naranjada

To what? 4 points and 3 rebounds per game?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You jest, but that is a quality 8th or 9th man.

30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

If he's half as good as Avery Bradley, welcome aboard!