Chris Naggar

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Nov 10, 2019.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Every team has injuries, and the expectation is for the next guy up to step up. While this hasn’t always happened on defense, I don’t think we should overlook the great job Chris Naggar has done both punting and holding for field goals/extra points.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He has done a fantastic job. Kudos to him. However, he has been in the program for a while. Unfortunately for our DB’s as example of counterpoint, both the starters and back-ups were injured, leaving true freshman or lightly played sophomores in key roles on the field.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

G
    Good point.

4. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Naggar's contribution has been really timely.

He is a reminder that there are a lot of players that will never make the field or may only occasionally play. They are still giving their hearts out at practice. These guys are essential to a successful program.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

6. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

A little different scenario but still involving “kickers”! I went to the Texas vs Texas Tech game in Lubbock in 1994. Our team was terribly divided at that point under Mackovic. Tech drilled us something like 30-9 and Zach Thomas just schooled us all day. The bright spot you ask?????? Well Phil Dawson being out with a leg problem was concerning. We lined up for what was about a 45-48 yard field goal with the punter as his replacement. I can’t remember his name maybe John Teltchik? I was seated amongst a sea of howling Tech fans around the 25 yard line and he nailed that kick! He hit it stadium high and would have been good from maybe 60! Relative quiet while everyone watched it! It was our only bright spot of the day! Kickers can be pretty good athletes!!

7. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i just want to quote you as that is the standard on this thread

8. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Whoops thought I was replying to an original post

9. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Mark Schultis, 55 yards....

• Like Like x 1
  10. BurntOrangeLH

I remember Teltschik's name from the old days.

A decent punter but was he not also a kicker?

11. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

John Teltschik came out of Kerrville Tivy as an All-State punter (barefoot).
    Was at the 1984 OU tie game when he sent one from Texas' end of the field to the other end (good 70 yards in the air). Punted for the Eagles in the NFL (barefoot still) for a few years. Saw him at Dallas nightclub one night, he said he was done, hurt his punting knee and was done. Fun fact, John's dad Avery was the band director at Kerrville Tivy so John was also an All-State baritone player. You don't see that a lot. Kinda like opera from Justin Tucker....

12. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

Schultis it was!!! He nailed that kick!

13. BurntOrangeLH

Thank you for the refresh. I could not recall if he punted professionally but I remember him being well regarded at Texas.