Chris Warren

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Omniscient.one, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

I imagine it's been mentioned but Warren is the best power back in football. Porter splitting carries is a joke. Herman is trying to be too smart, his real problem. Pointless rant over

• Like Like x 2
  2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I thought Porter was productive and began to show some quickness and better ability to hit the hole and make people miss. Different style but effective. Why beat the crap out of Warren and not give him some rest if it is not necessary? I am guessing if Warren had every carry and got hurt, people would be complaining and second guessing and saying Porter should have carried it more.

Porter had 73 yards, 4.5 YPC, and a touchdown.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

to say Porter is a scat back gives scat more props than it deserves. He is quicker than Warren, but hasn't broken a shoe-string tackle. Of course, Warren was tackled by a single DB, too ... but at least he doesn't need an invitation to attack the LOS.

IDK which would make a better dump target, but I think Warren does better pass blocking, too.

4. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

But that was after warren had wore them out. I'm all for sharing carries to keep guys fresh but warren needs to lead the charge. I was kind of surprised we played both young and carter already and I know it was clean up duty but I would like to see them get a few more of porters touches

• Like Like x 3
  5. horninchicago

I usually agree with you, but not on this. Last week I was critical of Porter. After a slow start yesterday, i thought he was hitting the hole harder and being more illusive. I saw him break a lot of tackles and not go down when breathed on.

6. horninchicago

I see what you mean. Maybe I missed it. Did Warren not start? I agree he should be the guy.

7. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

allusive? :p

perhaps that was in the second half I missed? The first half and last week ... comment stands with me behind it.

8. horninchicago

Haha, I'm a s dumb as I look! Yes, Allusive. :facepalm:

Maybe a game like this, yes, second half in particular, is what Porter needed to gain confidence. We shall see how it goes from here.

• Like Like x 2
  9. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

If Chris Warren is the topic, I hope he stays healthy. I hope the coaches don't overuse him early.

If Kyle Porter is the topic, I think he's a longhorn. A hard working longhorn. I hope he continues to improve.

• Like Like x 4
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Warren's upside has never been questioned. His issue is staying on the field.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

@X Misn Tx

clap clap

:)

Don't be all sithlike with the thread title ... even the OP mentioned someone besides Warren.

12. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I cannot figure out which is the more elusive target - Hemphill Mapps in the open field, or correkt spellling within a post.

• Like Like x 4
  13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

These aren't the backs you're looking for. Nice along.

• Like Like x 1
  14. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

yay!

Hat Tip Sangre! I was hoping someone would catch that! LOL

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Warren is the more alliterative back as he wobbles wildly while wunning over willy and other defenders.

• Like Like x 5
  16. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Back on the topic of illusive backs ...the most illusive I ever saw was OU's Quinton Griffin. That little guy could hide behind OL and not be visible to defenders until he was bursting through a hole at full speed.

As far as allusive backs ... my favorite is Jamison Berryhill, a walkon fullback who earned a scholarship as a senior. Hearing the name put me to thinking about picking wild strawberries on the low rise above the stream near my grandfather's house in northern New Mexico.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

There HAS to be something that is behind this.
    I can imagine a defense holding their breath when UT sends in s formation. "Whew it's not Warren" when anyone else lines up at RB.
    Similar during the Rose Bowl when USC would put in Bush who was good not great instead of Lindell White who was a beast.

• Like Like x 1
  18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Warren has earned the lion share of the carries. Porter did seem to improve a little from the Maryland game. However, I thought Young and Carter showed more power, hitting the holes harder and were much harder to stop than Porter. As every play backs, Young and Carter are going to be really good. (Maybe like Williams and Holmes a few years back :smile1:. Okay, okay, a guy can dream can't he?)

I think Porter is a hard worker with great speed and open field moves. He needs to somehow get the ball on the edges, maybe swing passes, screens etc. to really use his special talents.

19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Young and Carter looked good but they were running fresh against a gassed SJSU defense at that point.

• Like Like x 2
  20. horninchicago

Have to get reps and confidence. That's a good way to do it. Previous regime, IIRC, didn't seem to give reps at all. Of course, to be fair, that regime hardly knew what an insurmountable lead was like. Well, being on the wrong end they did...

• Like Like x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Porter is a journeyman back.
    Warren is a game-breaker.

Think of it this way. If you were an opposing DL, LB, or DB, who would you rather face? It's not a contest. The running game will be mediocre at best with Porter. I sat in the stands Saturday with my lifelong buddy and we just shook our heads as Porter took the majority of the snaps. "Maybe he doesn't fumble in practice."

Look, not to knock the kid but this is a no-brainer. Porter would be my third or 4th choice.

I would love to see Warren in the pistol. Give him time to build momentum. Did you notice what he did in the Wildcat?

Rant over...for now.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

I wonder if that’s part of Herman’s strategy for USC. Bring as many fresh bodies into the backfield as we have, including the freshmen. We are going to need something special to hang with the Trojans.

• Like Like x 1
  23. horninchicago

Looking forward to the rest of it. :p

Kidding. I hear what you're saying. Glad they used Porter enough that Warren will be injury free. I agree Warren needs to be the man. Just thought Porter did well too. Not nearly as well, but pretty well.

• Like Like x 1
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

One way to hang, as you know, is to shorten the game. Play KSU ball. With our O-Line (particularly the left side) and players in motion, few defenses (if any) will be able to stop Warren. The problem is, we can't run him 51 times, even though Charlie did that to Foreman last year.

If we can keep Donald and USC's offense off the field, our chances will be greatly enhanced.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I agree
    I would like to see Carter get more carries. He probably won't against USC unless we get far behind. I think Carter is better but Porter is sort of the "teacher's pet"

26. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

They were getting ready for USC.
    Fresh legs. Experience legs. <-- preparing for this
    Able to take a breather when needed.
    USC game will put it all together.
    Can't wait!!

27. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Are we ever going to get to see Kirk Johnson???

• Like Like x 1
  28. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

To be fair, D'Onta didn't show he was special at first. And he came in as a 3-star ranked as the 62nd best running back. Give the guys a chance to play and develop.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

You are asking a group of Texas fans for patience? You'd have better luck sexting a nun.

• Like Like x 4
  30. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

haha ... well ... some of this impatience IS understandable. soon to be 10 years since the last time we so much as competed for a conference championship, let alone WON one.

@X Misn Tx ... your post reminds me of the challenges breeding Longhorns. You've got what you consider to be the perfect sire and dam, but it's gonna be 4 years before you take-home that World Grand Champion Steer buckle.

I WANT IT ALL AND I WANT IT N O W! ! ! !

:)

\m/

• Like Like x 1