Chris Whaley to TE?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Full Flask, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

2. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

really surprising to hear that GG will be under center more. doesnt seem like they are playing to his strenghts.

3. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

4. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I really like the idea of Whaley at running back with the downhill running possibilities we get from having a QB start under center. That said, I really like the idea of a tight end who is athletic, nimble and able to outrun most linebackers and more than a few safeties.
    The UT athletes that come to mind when I seek comparisons to Whaley, based on size and speed, are Ivan Williams and David Thomas. Both were great contributors, but obviously Thomas had a lot more impact for the program.

5. PropositionJoe

"need to be able" and "most effective" are two different things.

if i'm reading it correctly, the article is basically saying that your offense will be completely overhauled from the spread you run now to a more pro-set. just seems odd.

6. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

7. HI_McDunnough

HI_McDunnough 500+ Posts

Ever heard of play action? That does not occur in a spread.

8. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

9. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

10. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Time to go back to basics for some........

11. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

12. PropositionJoe

no love for tre newton?

i absolutely think he could be a feature back for you guys.

13. GHoward

GHoward 2,500+ Posts

It's also seems that Whaley never got his weight down. 240 is big for a RB. Isn't Cody 225, and considered our "big" back? We have not consistently used a big back since perhaps Benson, and he sort of grew into it. Guys like Charles and Selvin were all average sized.

And there is a bunch of play-action out of the shotgun.

14. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

15. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

16. hothead25

hothead25 100+ Posts

We couldn't run or protect well enough to run a pro style offense. As a result we started recruiting more athletic QB's, put them in the shotgun, and leaned heavily on a quick passing game. Everyone always wants more "I" but we're not suited for it.

I imagine we'll be back in the shotgun by week 3.

17. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

I've been calling the Whaley to TE thing for a little while now. I think it would be a fantastic move.

Big, tall running backs are an anomaly. I think the football cognoscenti have been overly fixated on these types of experiments due to Brandon Jacobs' recent exploits. I know that Eric Dickerson and Eddie George were both kinda tall as well, but they are the exception more than the rule IMO.

BTW, as I've also stated numerous times, Whaley looked really good in the US Army AA game catching the ball and turning up field. By the looks of it, he has soft hands and looks like a natural catching the ball. I think he can do really well at TE and am glad that there is informed scuttlebutt now out in the ether about him making that move.

18. Texas Jack

Texas Jack 1,000+ Posts

19. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

20. GoHornsGo90

GoHornsGo90 1,000+ Posts

21. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

22. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

23. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Don't confuse HS rushing stats for QBs with their skill sets. He took off on spread plays when he was supposed to take off, very similar to Colt for the last 4 years. It shouldn't be confused with a running game. He is a much better thrower than runner.

24. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

25. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts

26. Sugarpunk

Sugarpunk 500+ Posts

Excellent! We need a legit TE real bad. Let's try both Whaley and Shead there as they both have the size and speed required to get it done.

Don't sleep on Brock Edwards when listing successful TE's under Mack. He was no slouch. Given our track record with TE's under Mack and the guys we currently have in the league, it's mystifying to me that we can't catch a break at this position or recruit a ready to go badass that actually makes it on the field. I hope our luck changes next season.

27. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

And what about Barrett Matthews? Is he not looking good?

28. centexorange

centexorange 1,000+ Posts

I have heard people say before that it would help our running game to have the QB under center, because the RB then has a running start before he gets the ball, instead of receiving it standing still

Color me one of the few but i totally agree with this statement.

29. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

Is Scarbrough ok with you posting an excerpt from his news letter?

30. Full Flask

Full Flask 250+ Posts