Chron: Major 'expected to accept...offer'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns83, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

2. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

3. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

4. Eastwood22

Eastwood22 250+ Posts

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

making head coach at ut is a big step for someone that has never won anything as a coach. looks like many on here have been drinking too much orange cool aid.

6. TheTresLeches

TheTresLeches 250+ Posts

Hopefully, something like this isn't in our future:

[​IMG]

7. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

8. Tejano@UT

Tejano@UT 250+ Posts

I like what I see. Some call it taking a chance, others view it as an investment in the future of our coaching staff. In either case, I welcome it.

What's the possibility of a current coach on our staff to be reassigned to RB coach and Applewhite shifted to another?

9. Ankf00

Ankf00 250+ Posts

10. Mike_Tyson

Mike_Tyson 500+ Posts

I used 5 to 8 because that is when Mack's contract ends. It is somewhere in that timeframe and I am too lazy to find out the exact year.

I look for Major to take over as OC in 2 years. But I do look for Mack to coach the rest of his contract and then for DD to retire.

11. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Has Bellmont said they are interviewing him for head coach?

No, but multiple on here have said they are grooming him for hc in 5 years...

12. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

and I would guess that no one who has said that has any ties to Bellmont.

Will it happen? Maybe, but 5 years is a long time. I assure you Texas is making no guarantees. By then, Major may have proven himself to be an incredible coach or a buffoon.

Him taking a job here that is under GD's direction is virtually zero risk for Texas. It's either a tryout or a stepping stone. [​IMG]

13. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts

14. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Brown's contract runs out after the 2016 season. By that time he will be 65 and have the second longest tenure of any UT football head coach (19 years to Royal's 22--Akers would be third at 10).

15. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

A little perspective: Mack Brown was pretty "young" when he took over at Texas, and he was in his mid-40s. Major has some seasoning to go through.

16. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

17. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm just thinking out loud here...

If Major is hired, will the "cultists" like me be more critical of GD next season after the first game when the offense struggles? The TV cameras will hunt down all the dissatisfied expressions on Major's face and use them as fuel for a coaching controversy.

And God help us all if Major coaches here for a couple years and then leaves for another job. The rumormill will fly off it's axel with speculation about a meltdown at Belmont and the future of Mack's organization.

I'm trying to see the potential downside here to balance my natural joy of seeing Major roaming the sidelines on Saturday's in Austin.

18. wakko227

wakko227 < 25 Posts

agreed. chambers has a tried and true record of coaching RB's -- ricky's last year, hodges, and cedric. 227 days 'til kickoff!
    and all of these naysayers calling the optimists "cultists" seem to be closet "cultists" who would rather say "i told you so" than actually hope for a less disappointing football season. but they'll cheer on just as much (or even more so) as the next horn fan if we, indeed, get Major. don't get me wrong -- i admire them for being realistic, but there's nothing wrong with letting optimism turn into fanaticism every once in a while. that's why we're fans

19. wakko227

wakko227 < 25 Posts

agreed. chambers has a tried and true record of coaching RB's -- ricky's last year, hodges, and cedric. 227 days 'til kickoff! and all of these naysayers calling the optimists "cultists" seem to be closet "cultists" who would rather say "i told you so" than actually hope for a less disappointing football season. don't get me wrong -- i admire them for being realistic, but there's nothing wrong with letting optimism turn into fanaticism every once in a while. that's why we're fans.

20. wakko227

wakko227 < 25 Posts

sorry, y'all...didn't mean to post that twice.

21. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

This thread has to be false, I was assured last week by numerous A&M'ers that he was going to be their QB coach.

23. ComeAndTakeIt

ComeAndTakeIt < 25 Posts

Is anyone monitoring the charter jet flight path on this deal? Come on HornFans! I need info!

24. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

25. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

26. madscientist

madscientist 1,000+ Posts

27. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

There are some serious "if's" in the Major to HC scenario. If Dodds steps down in, say, four or five years...if Mack truly wants to and is prepared to move up to AD...if Davis decides to turn the keys to the offense over to Major in a year or two...

If those things happen, and Major delivers, and if Mack, as AD, is willing to move away from the "proven head coach" model for hiring here, then the Major scenario might play out. That's a lot of if's, and for the moment, I'd rather just enjoy the fact that odds are good we'll have Major back in any capacity. He's a winner, and needs to be here.

28. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

If Applewhite returns, I say he still has to leave before he comes back to interview for head coach. UT now would be just another step for him on the college football head coach cursus honorum.

29. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Why does he necessarily have to leave again? Why can't he just be groomed?
    And who here thinks MA should never
    be our coach? Anyone here? It almost sounds like there are some amongst us who don't find the idea palatable of Major ever becoming head coach.

Major as HC one day sits well with me.

30. jt09

jt09 500+ Posts