Chron: Major 'expected to accept...offer'

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Horns83, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

2. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

3. Eating Club

Eating Club 250+ Posts

Welcome home. [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. LittleBunnyFooFoo

LittleBunnyFooFoo 500+ Posts

i'm pumped about major coming back.

5. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

To the people who don't see it as obvious that Major is a really good coach, just compare him physically to Vince or even Colt. He was slow, small and couldn't throw. But he was successful.

He was successful because he's really, really smart. Even back when he was playing, the assumption was that he was going to be a very good coach.

Guess what? His rise has been nothing short of meteoric.

He's the offensive coordinator at Alabama; (you DO know he's named after Major Ogilvie, right?). He will turn 30 in July.

For him to even be considering leaving that job, (1) Nick Saban must be a total douchebag, AND (2) Texas must have made certain... uhm... "assurances".

Now, we still don't know if it's true, but if it is, we are getting a very smart coach who would love to be very successful at Texas for a long time to come. What more can you ask for?

(I still have my #11 jersey.)

Welcome home, Major.

[​IMG]

6. TexasGolf

TexasGolf 2,500+ Posts

7. afat

afat 250+ Posts

I like what Major did at Rice but I don't know how much of that to attribute to the guy that is Tulsa now(Krathorpe?). Part of me is afraid that most of my pro Major sentiment is just a Meme placed in my head by Brent Musberger. How scary is that?

8. CaptainEd

CaptainEd 1,000+ Posts

9. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

10. The Gnome Man

The Gnome Man 250+ Posts

I have no idea who our next head coach will be, but I think Major would be a very nice addition to our offensive staff. Who knows where it goes from there, but let's just enjoy next year.

11. ATX_HORN

ATX_HORN 25+ Posts

I have no idea who our next head coach will be, but I think Major would be a very nice addition to our offensive staff. Who knows where it goes from there, but let's just enjoy next year.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Totally agree w/ Gnome Man....If Major comes back it will hopefully be the needed injection of youth and enthusiasm on offense as Muschamp's hiring is expected to be for the defense.
    Major is the OC at Bama in title only as Saban was not willing to take off the training wheels and give such an inexperienced coach full control of his offense. The following link leads to an article which states that... "the Applwhite experiment was a mistake from the start." Oh well, the Bama loss will be our gain as Major definitely has
    a bright future.

Will Nick Saban get it right with Alabama's offense this time? [​IMG]

12. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

FWIW, whether Major called plays at Alabama or not, I think the problem with their offense was (and still is) that John Parker Wilson should be under center at a D-II school. [​IMG]

13. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Major is a welcome addition to the staff.
    Predicting his next job at this point is pure speculation.
    While it is true that DeLoss Dodds has the policy of not hiring co-ordinators to be head coaches at UT, let's image the following: Major joins the staff, recruits well, eventually becomes offensive co-ordinator and is highly successful and loved by the fans for his offense. Then either DeLoss retires (or even if he doesn't) and Mack Brown retires. UT needs a new HC.
    The groundswell of public opinion would be large in Major's direction. Would he be bypassed in the previous scenario? Doubtful. Could go any number of different ways than that one, though.