Church

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by JesterHorn, Jan 19, 2002.

1. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

If you are a college student and looking for a place to go to church on Sundays, get plugged in, meet cool people, etc.......check out FOCUS (Fellowship of Christian University Students) at Hyde Park. Hyde Park is located on 39th and Speedway, just north of campus. There is a shuttle service provided from dorms. We meet Sunday mornings at 9:45am. Come check it out!!! Everyone's invited.

http://www.hpbc.org/focus

2. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

Oh, yippee!!!!!!!!! Please sign me up. I can't think of anything better to do that early on a Sunday morning than get my fat *** out of my cozy bed and go and listen to why I'm going to hell.

P.S. Is there a buffet?

P.S.S. Please forgive the pessimism. I went to Second Baptist for 7 years, and am fully entitled to mock any post or thread regarding religion.

Thank you,
    The fully disenfranchised w/ Organized Religion

3. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

On second thought, are there any cute girls that go to this shindig? I seem to remember how friendly the "Baptist" girls were from my heyday.

4. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

Come on, man. I'm not telling anyone why they're going to Hell, and that wasn't the point of the post. Show just a little respect; I'm just trying to get the word out about something that's important to me. I attended 2nd Baptist for over 19 years, so I don't understand why your 7 years qualifies you to mock me. But whatever floats your boat....

And to answer your questions....there's donuts and stuff but not a huge buffet, and there are some pretty girls there!

5. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

I wasn't trying to mock you personally. I'm sure you're a great person. I'm just teasing. Don't get too bent out of shape from what I say, it's just some good natured ribbing.

6. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

That's cool, no big deal. You're still invited! [​IMG]

7. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

there are cute girls there. went to HP for 22 years.

8. I believe

I believe 25+ Posts

Is it a good place to take a date?

9. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

Do they have Golden Tee?

10. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

why take sand to the beach?

11. IBleedOrange

IBleedOrange < 25 Posts

Thanks JesterHorn, my dad went to that church many years ago. Maybe I will make it one Sunday.

12. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

It'd be good to see you there, IBleedOrange.

13. CapitalistPig

CapitalistPig < 25 Posts

Why does attending a church give you the right to mock Christianity?

14. Chris Applewhite

Chris Applewhite 25+ Posts

living in america gives us the right to mock christianity

15. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

Well said CA. Well said.

16. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

All mocking (and the right to mock) aside.......this isn't about religion. It's about getting plugged in at a Bible believing/preaching church. If you're interested, show up. If you're not, don't.

17. I believe

I believe 25+ Posts

So no GoldenTee, then?

18. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

but mocking jews gets you labeled an anti-semite.....

19. utstudboy

utstudboy 250+ Posts

Best Church in Austin - St. Austin on the Drag - I was baptised there!!!

I was born at St. David's Hospital just north of the campus.

20. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

21. AkakHorn

AkakHorn 100+ Posts

I remember Sunday evening mass at the Catholic Center back in the 80s ... mass and free dinner, and hot chicks that drink. Now THAT'S religion that even FB can appreciate. [​IMG]

22. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

I'll be away from my computer this weekend, so I'll send out the invite now.

9:45 Sunday morning, 39th and Speedway, all college students welcome.

23. TTUEX

TTUEX 25+ Posts

Jester, I applaud you for your attempt.

The rest of you are going to hell.

But a church full of hotties that had a rec room with golden tee would be really really cool.

24. Nacho

Nacho 100+ Posts

I went to FOCUS when FOCUS just started rolling. Chad McMillan and Malcolm Minnick ran the show. Malcolm's political rants were enough to drive me away. There were usually alot of UT athletes there (Josh Davis and I got to be pretty good friends) and some of the dance team and cheer squad was there, too. Some volleyball players....

If Chad is still running it, and you happen to be into that kind of thing, I highly recommend it. however, if Malcolm still runs it, stay away. You'll hear more insightful things at a Jeff Foxworthy show.

25. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

Nacho - Chad McMillan isn't the University Minister anymore. But, a guy named Ryan Heller is, and he's solid. Chad is actually who turned me on to FOCUS. Anyway, Ryan and Bill Jones (worship leader and assistant university minister) are the guys now, and I encourage anyone to check it out.

26. Nacho

Nacho 100+ Posts

Chad was the ****, although you could tell he didn't run it well if he got spread too thin. It's an effective situation for someone looking into it. I'm not.

27. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

Malcolm Minnick is a moron. Talks about no one but himself and his wife whom he went to her high school prom with at his young age of 29. Loser.

28. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

ttt

9:45 am Sunday, 39th and Speedway

29. SkippyJack

SkippyJack < 25 Posts

There's something very ironic about a church full of hotties.

Personally, I don't think church is the place to get "plugged in." Go get plugged in and look at hotties somewhere else--I suggest bars and grocery stores.

30. JesterHorn

JesterHorn 100+ Posts

That's pretty funny, Skippy. Not sure how ironic it is that there are pretty girls in church. But I think it's pretty cool. So does Fat Bastard.