Cindy McCain goes to Communist nation

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by HornsInTheHouse, Jun 19, 2008.

1. HornsInTheHouse

HornsInTheHouse 500+ Posts

No, not Cuba. Vietnam, the same nation John went to in 2000! Where are the sanctions and polemics about basic rights and democracy?

Such damaging hypocrisy! Why shouldn't we have as good relations with Cuba as we do Vietnam?

Cindy McCain in Nha Trang, Vietnam

2. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

sad, very sad that you bash Cindy McCain for taking part in a very honorable charity. What a pathetic attempt at making a controversy.

Perhaps she went to Vietnam because her family has a little history there.

3. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Is there a point to this op? Has Cindy McCain been setting policy for the State Department recently?

4. Nivek

Nivek 500+ Posts

Maybe you 2 missed the point. Read the last sentence only and respond to that... not some imaginary editorial. And look in the mirror and repeat, 'I am not a victim' - 7 times should do it.

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Nivek
    this sentence?
    "She also plans to visit Cambodia to participate in charity work there."

What on earth is your problem with that?

6. HornsInTheHouse

Indeed she was visiting charities and no, she does not set foreign policy. Yet her trip and the relative anonymity of it is indicative of the difference in relations we have with the two countries. Could she go to Cuba to visit some American charities there? Perhaps, but it would a lot of applications and red tape to cut through. Imagine if she tried to merely visit some charities in Cuba this time of year, the Cuban lobby would blow up in rage.

7. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm really looking forward to five more months of this sort of post.

8. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

I really don't care where Cindy goes. Iran, Cuba, China or Viet Nam makes no difference to me. Maybe she wants to adopt another child? As far as Cuba vs China, can't we (not all Americans but the greedy Americans) exploit Cuba's labor the same as we exploit China's labor? Or is Cuba big on unions? Or would clouds of pollution we (you know which "we") caused in Cuba drift onto our mainland whereas China pollution would just drift onto Russia? Exploitation is complicated!

9. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Am I missing the point? I thought the point was about US relations with Cuba compared to relations with Vietnam. We were in a pro-longed war in Vietnam and have open relations, we were never in a war with Cuba and have an embargo.

I don't read this as an attack on Cindy McCain. The hypocrisy lies with the US not Cindy.

At least that's how I take the op. And he has a point. We only embargo Cuba because of Florida's electoral votes, not because we give much of a **** about Castro and communism there.

10. HornsInTheHouse

That's exactly my intention RomaVicta. As for McCain's rights to Southeast Asia, I have the same rights as him, I can go anywhere in that region I want, and have. Why does McCain talk about human rights and democracy with Cuba but trade, peace, and forgiveness with Vietnam? I want trade, peace, and forgiveness with Cuba as well.

I'm angry that no honest dialogue has ever occurred in the public about the Cuban embargo. Obama wants to loosen the restrictions but no one (maybe Ron Paul, I don't know) is willing to attack the thing as a flat-out bad policy from top to bottom. The Cuban embargo is almost as taboo a national topic as our relationship with Israel.

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts