cleaning Austin stone

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by utmck, Aug 22, 2007.

1. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

What can I use to clean the Austin stone I have outlining my flower beds?

2. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

limestone? what needs to be cleaned? I always had it turn black and dark green after large amounts of rain and/or humidity. For that, I just used a power washer.

3. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

What is Austin stone?

4. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I think Austin stone is sandstone, and runs a bit more yellow/tan/gray than limestone.

5. VoodooChi|d

VoodooChi|d 500+ Posts

I always thought Austin Stone was just the type of limestone that was found in and around the Austin area...

6. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

Maybe I am wrong.... I have the white stone that everyone seems to use to outline their flower beds. I thought it was called Austin Stone because it comes from the Austin area.

7. TexasEd

TexasEd 1,000+ Posts

It is limestone and is found throughout most of the hill country (North of San Antonio up to about Fort Hood and areas West of that line) There are pockets of granite, sandstone and marble, but it is predominately limestone.

You can power wash it but it will come back in a year or two. The coloring adds character.

8. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

As the above poster mentioned that doesn't sound any different than the limestone that prominent all throughout the hill country. Great marketing ploy though.

9. MGS

MGS 500+ Posts

When they built my house a few years back, they called it "Austin Blanco".

10. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

Up in the Dallas area they refer to it as Austin Stone.

11. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

My house is built from very "earthy" colored stone that we were told is "Austin Stone". It looks like sandstone to me.

I'm not saying the original poster's white limestone is the same thing, but rather that there seems to be some differing opinions as to what constitutes "Austin Stone".

12. Stuck_At_Work

Stuck_At_Work 1,000+ Posts

Some guy sold me some Austin Stone the other day. It sure looked a lot like red lava rock, but he called it Austin Stone... so I decided it was worth paying a premium.

[​IMG]

13. 1990txgirl

1990txgirl 250+ Posts

At our previous home, a line of green/black muck had built up along one corner of the limestone exterior before we installed rain gutters. This was probably about 5 years' of accumulation. It powerwashed right off, as other posters have suggested.

You can rent one for the day at Home Depot (~$50, I think); or a contractor might have higher-powered machines if you want to hire someone.

14. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

15. utmck

utmck 500+ Posts

To clear up what I am talking about..... the stone/rock is "white" and is cut on top and bottom. You can find it at most any landscape store.

16. Wild Bill

Wild Bill 1,000+ Posts

If it's green & moldy looking, bleach works well.

17. Thunderhoof

Thunderhoof 250+ Posts

It could be rock from the "Austin chalk" geological formation, but previous posters have probably rightfully pointed it out as a marketing scheme.

Jomax/bleach works, as does the power sprayer. Careful with the Jomax, it can burn plants.

18. tropheus

tropheus 1,000+ Posts

it's definitely limestone.