Clemens: 'I did not take steroids, HGH, ..

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Bottom Line, Dec 18, 2007.

1. Bottom Line

Bottom Line 250+ Posts

or an other banned substance...." Not what I thought he would say....since this may be unprovable either way, he took the denial route. It would seem the only way to clear his name is for his accuser to retract the evidence and/or comments.

BL

2. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I wonder if he waved his finger around when he said that, like Raffy did...

3. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

He's going to destroy what's left of his reputation if he keeps this up. He should ask Barry Bonds and Pete Rose how their repeated denials worked out.

4. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

The war now begins. Apparently, The Rocket isn't scared to confront these allegations and, as I said before, will do so when the ducks are in a row.

This statement does not prove innocence to me, just as the report did prove guilt. However, it will be interesting going forward to see the strategy he uses to go after the accusers.

Of course, he will be panned for this, even though everyone was panning him for his silence. He is in a bad situation because he has been found guilty by 90% of those who follow this.

5. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

6. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

I'd still like to hear him explain why he paid McNamee for his services over a 9 year period when he's "a troubled and unreliable witness who only came up with names after being threatened with possible prison time".

7. PacSER

PacSER 500+ Posts

What connection does his character have to his ability to train Roger?

8. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

So he doesn't do mean things like falsely accuse you of steroid use and personally inject your bff Andy Pettitte with HGH.

9. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

ESPN's Page Two had this interesting selection of quotes:

"He's got a little formula for preparation, and it's working well for him."
    -- Joe Torre, to USA Today, 2001

" ... Clemens has a child's wish list of things he wants to do that he is prohibited from doing while playing baseball ..."
    -- Pat Jordan, New York Times, 2001

"I'm sure there are days when [Roger] doesn't feel like doing it, but that's why he's still pitching the way he is at his age."
    -- Ted Lilly, to USA Today, 2001

"[Brian] McNamee's life seems to revolve around the conditioning of Roger Clemens."
    -- Jordan, New York Times, 2001

"He is a power pitcher because he punishes himself 12 months a year in order to remain one ... exactly what it is he does is known only to a few."
    -- Bob Ryan, Baseball Digest, 2002

"Clemens admits his [workout] philosophy may be unorthodox ... Like a chef protecting a secret recipe, he refuses to discuss too many details of his regimen."
    -- Bob Klapisch, ESPN.com, 2003

"There's got to be something driving him that's bigger than the game itself."
    -- Bernie Williams, in Sports Illustrated, 2003

"Roger's the one who taught me that the better shape you're in, the better you'll throw the ball."
    -- Andy Pettitte, to ESPN.com 2003

10. OrangeBull

OrangeBull 100+ Posts

Now can we get rid of that "retired number" sign at the Disch? If they want to retire #21, do it for someone who earned it not for a contrbution. He wasn't even close to being the best player to wear that number.

11. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

He needs to actually face these allegations. You can't release a statement thru your agent when the accusations are as big as these are. You need to have a press conference and discuss the allegations openly. If he seems like he has something to hide, well then he has something to hide. This is all very sad news.

He was a dominant pitcher in his early years and he probably didn't use anything back then. But in the 2nd half of his career he used to stay in shape and keep it going and now will tarnish any legacy he would have had.

12. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Was he wearing a 'horns polo during the press conference?

[​IMG]

13. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

Reserve your judgment until he does face them... he said that he will.

I'm still team clemens, but I will reevaluate based on how he approaches those issues.

Again, no conviction... he's innocent in my eyes.

14. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Why would a long time personal trainer risk federal charges for making up such a detailed story about his wide spread steroid use is beyond me. [​IMG]
    I could care less if he used. It does tarnish his image but, give me a chance to play an extra 8 years or so in my prime in the game I love & make enough money during that time to take care of my family 10 fold (or more) & only thing I have to worry about is my body breaking down quicker than the average guy & heat from fans I can retire away from in a 10,000 acre ranch & fish all day.....yeah, I'd do it.
    I just hope he comes clean & doesn't do anything that will really get him in trouble like lying before Congress or under oath in some other situation.

15. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I'm a huge Texas Baseball fan, but not a huge Clemens fan. However, this presumption of guilt, not just in the Clemens case, is troubling to me.

It's truly bizarre for me to sit here and watch as a man is accused by one person, denies the accusation, and is immediately run down as a liar. Why is the trainer's word any better or more credible than Clemens'?

I don't know whether RC took roids or not (or any of the others who are involved in cases where it's one person's word against another's). Neither do any of you, as much as you'd like to think you do.

Maybe more evidence will come out and condemn him, but until then, we just don't know.

Yesterday, Rome was calling Clemens out, saying if he didn't come out and deny this stuff, he was surely guilty. Today, Cowherd called him a liar for denying it. WTF? What if he really didn't do it?

Twisted.

16. Roger35

Roger35 2,500+ Posts

I just hope it's not another "I did not have sex with that woman" situation....

17. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

Me, too...but don't get me wrong. I'm not saying he's innocent. I'm saying I don't know.

I just hate the presumption of guilt based on an accusation. You see it more and more in our society. Slippery slope.

18. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

19. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

20. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

longhrnfan you are arguing with yourself. The original question was

21. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

22. Burnt Orange™

Burnt Orange™ 25+ Posts

23. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

24. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

25. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

We are talking about a guy caught having sex with a women he had drugged the the date rape drug so heavily she was almost in a coma. Real great and honest guy there.

26. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

27. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

I would be so nervous taking a lie detector on TV over something like this that I would worry it would mistake my nervousness for a lie.

28. mandingo

mandingo 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking the same thing.

I think most people honestly wouldn't want to take a LD on TV even if they knew they were telling the truth....maybe even off TV.

29. kevwun

kevwun 1,000+ Posts

Proper lie detector tests take a couple of hours, so I don't think it would work great for tv.

Slamming McNamee's character only makes Clemens look worse. Yeah, the guy is a creep and Roger knew it. He also kept using his services over a 9 year period.

30. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts