Clemens.Officially.F'd

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by hothead25, Feb 13, 2008.

1. hothead25

hothead25 100+ Posts

2. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

problem with all of this is that it's a public hearing that in effect tries a person without full due process

this is not much different than the mess going on with Tour de France riders

we live in an age where agencies and political bodies are indicting, trying and convicting -- via the media

I'd like to see statutes that prevent anyone from being subjected to inquiries by non-judicial entities, including legislative bodies, and to prevent anyone publicly testifying about another person unless done within the structure of a bona-fide judicial action that carries with it full protection of constitutional rights same as if you are alleged to have robbed a bank

Listen.. say you are accused of a crime. You plead no-guilty. You say you didn't do it. I'm curious... if you are convicted (even though it may be questionable you may not have done it... but the evidence says you did)... can you also be convicted for saying you didn't do it?

Roger should just say he did nothing wrong and refuse to answer anymore questions and say, "If you think you have a case, arrest me and use your due process to make your case. I'll defend myself in a court of law. You people are out of line."

Then get up and walk out.

3. DLev

DLev 250+ Posts

That story doesn't make any sense. An affidavit is a separate document that you would sign making a specific statement. Andy was subject to a deposition. If they're trying to say that he said that in his deposition, that makes more sense. The difference is simple. If it is from a deposition transcript, there will be a lot of surrounding context from the previous question and the subsequent question. I imagine that would be helpful to Clemens. If it is truly an affidavit, then it is likely that the statement is listed on its own without any context.

4. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

I agree, Clemens is F'd.

5. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Boil it down for the layman: I just heard the opening statement where Pettitte asserts that Roger told him about Debbie getting HGH injections and that Roger told Andy that he used HGH and it helped him to recover.

SO...

What happens now. Is it likely someone is going to jail for lying to Congress?

6. TEXumAS

TEXumAS 25+ Posts

Pettite and his wife are complete snitches. If they were truly friends at all, you say "you don't recall"

7. BigOHorn

BigOHorn 100+ Posts

I just don't understand why he's doing this. His name was in the initial report to congress. He was screwed from that point regardless whether or not he used HGH or not so why do this? It makes no sense to me. Unless you can get DNA evidence off of those needles this is a "he said, he said" waste of time.

8. YeaTexasFight

YeaTexasFight 1,000+ Posts

If Clemens is found guilty of lying, what happens to that number 21 on the right field wall? What happens even if he isn't found guilty of lying?

9. drunkfan#1

drunkfan#1 100+ Posts

Clemens is holding up remarkably well under all these incredibly incriminating accusations. He is an awesome liar!

10. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

11. YeaTexasFight

This made me laugh from Jayson Stark's blog on espn:

12. LagoHorn

LagoHorn 250+ Posts

Roger is looking at jail time IMO. I think the HoF is now totally out of the question.

13. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

14. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

My god, this is embarrassing.

15. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Congress has got some serious integrity issues when they can't keep these things under wraps. There are only a handful of people that should have access to those things, and most of them are elected officials who should go to jail if they're leaking this ****.

16. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

17. Handler XIII

He doesn't have a shot with this committee. From the opening statement you could tell they are in love with Mitchell. Even though there are some proven inaccuracies in the report, they won't bring those up.

18. YeaTexasFight

They're probably all Red Sox fans.

19. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

roger is in deep ****.

20. doylehargraves

doylehargraves 500+ Posts

Clemens doesn't need any more HGH. He needs Jenny Craig.

21. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Rep. Davis: "Mr. Clemens, do you recall bleeding through your pants in 2001?"

Clemens: "I do not."

22. Shocking_News

Shocking_News 100+ Posts

McNamee just got burned. Admitted lying to federal investigators a month ago (January 5, I think) when he said that he had no direct evidence that Clemens used HGH.

Burned again when he just admitted lying to federal investigators when he initially said he did not know anything about Clemens or Petitte using HGH.

He has just admitted to at least 3 lies to federal investigators and 1 "partial lie" to federal investigators.

Get em Clemens

23. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

It is Congress, not Clemens getting him.

Clemens will get his, and it won't be from the former trainer.

Perjury is a *****.

24. Handler XIII

But yet, people still think McNamme is telling the truth.

25. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

12:06 p.m. ET
    Rep. John Tierney had an experience many of us in the media have had while trying to interview Clemens: We ask one thing. He gives an answer that seems to be in response to some whole other question. And no matter how hard we try, he keeps answering the question he hears, not the question we asked.

Tierney noted three specific times Clemens told investigators he'd never talked to McNamee about HGH -- but then cited two occasions when he confronted McNamee about his injection of his wife with HGH.

Repeatedly, Tierney asked Clemens how he "reconciled" that inconsistency. Repeatedly, Clemens gave answers that indicated that "prior" to those conversations, he'd never had a "specific" discussion with McNamee about HGH.

You wanted to scream out, "Roger, that's not what he's asking." But eventually, Tierney just gave up and moved on.

Been there. Done that.

26. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

27. Longhorn_94

Longhorn_94 100+ Posts

i think roger is doing a GREAT job! they havent touched him a bit. he has given plausible explanantions to every question asked.

McNamee has come across as a complete liar. He is a joke.

28. Mr.Wizard

Mr.Wizard 1,000+ Posts

Interesting, I feel the complete opposite about Roger.

I think he is coming off poorly.

29. Sangre Orange

Sangre Orange 25+ Posts

It's sad that credibility is being determined along party lines.

30. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

i'm not watching, but stark's blog seems to point out that they are coming off poorly.