clemens on 60

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by wright11, Jan 6, 2008.

1. wright11

wright11 25+ Posts

anyone else not buying his act?

2. Bottom Line

Bottom Line 250+ Posts

"..it didn't happen.."

BL

3. Sugartown

Sugartown 25+ Posts

I'm not biting.

4. Bottom Line

Bottom Line 250+ Posts

The Vioxx disclosure......is Clemens trying to float a reason for future heart/health problems?

There is a lot to like about Clemens. It's too bad he's painted himself into a corner ala Bonds.

BL

5. hothead25

hothead25 100+ Posts

His ego is so big he will never admit using steroids. He's probably lied to his wife and his children for so long that there's no turning back for him. I bet if he came out and admitted wrong doing others would follow. Instead of denying it, just come out and say that that was the culture in baseball at the time, everyone was doing it, and he felt like he needed to in order to keep up. It wasn't right, but from this point forward we can work together to clean up the game for good. People will forgive you if you're honest to them. He doesn't want to become another Pete Rose who tarnished his reputation by lying for so long when he wasn't fooling anybody.

6. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Why would he admit if he didn't do it. I would be ticked too that after everything he has done good that no one is giving him any benefit of the doubt.

That interview left me in the same place...I am giving him the benefit if the doubt until I see more come out. I cannot say whether Clemens did it or not, but I am not going to convict a man before he has reasonable time to defend himself. He has not been given reasonable time.

7. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I want to believe him, but that interview sure didn't help him in that regard--anxious to hear what he has to say at his press conference tomorrow

8. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

I watched it twice on TiVo, and the second time, I picked up a habit of his that shows up when he's lying...

His lips move.

9. HatDaddy

HatDaddy 1,000+ Posts

can't trust a 40 year-old with frosted hair.

10. CaboWabo

CaboWabo 500+ Posts

I just watched the interview and he was lying his *** off. Lets see if he accepts Congress's "invitation" to testify in a few days. What a way to end a great career.

11. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

If he does accept the Congress invite will it change any of y'alls minds? I would say that there is very little chance he could convince many of you no matter what he does.

He is taking live questions tomorrow at a press conference. He has called McNamee a liar and McNamee is now going to wait until the Congressional hearings before suing. All I heard was this big talk that if Clemens called him a liar he was going to sue. Whatever. He & his attorneys are just looking for publicity.

12. FirstTimeLurker

FirstTimeLurker 100+ Posts

maybe he will throw a broken bat at Mcnamee

13. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

It is very sad. He isn't as bad as Bonds and I don't think most on here think that Clemens took heavy doses of Steroids for 2 to 3 years straight. However when you are a future HOF player regardless and you do it to make you just that much better then you are even more of an *******.

He completely hesitated and had no response when Wallace asked him if he would take a lie detector test.

He addressed the idea of suing as if he had millions of people to sue...no Roger you have ex-trainer to sue....are you going to?....No, b/c you don't want your **** really coming out.

14. rtchorn

rtchorn 250+ Posts

In reply to:

15. Soviet Union

Soviet Union 500+ Posts

The reason he's suing now (and not after the report) is because Congress asked him to testify. Now Clemens has an excuse to claim that he can't testify because of the pending lawsuit.

NICE TRY CHEATIN ROCKET!

Don't worry, they ddin't go after Raffy Roids when he lied and wagged his finger in front of Congress. You can lie too Roger.

By the way, did anyone ever ask him why he threw the bat at Piazza. Well they did ask and he said he thought it was the ball. Did anyone follow up and ask why he would throw a baseball or what he thought was a baseball at the runner? Does Rocket know that the object of baseball is not to throw the ball at the base runner?

16. austintexas

austintexas Guest

There are very few people are who are bigger Longhorn baseball fans than I. There are equally very few people who hate Roger Clemens as much as I do.

But I give him the benefit of the doubt. One guy's word against another's. McNamee, as I understand it, had to give some names or go to jail? He had a motive. McNamee could be a sleaze ball. I'm not ready to convict Roger.

17. Beau Vine

Beau Vine 1,000+ Posts

18. longhornbell

longhornbell 100+ Posts

I agree, Austintexas. McNamee said they put pressure on him to involve Clemens in the deal. However this thing shakes out, it isn't going to be good for MLB.

19. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

What could Clemens do to make people believe him? Isn't it one man's word against the other? I see no reason to believe one person over the other. I think once these types of allegations come out, there is nothing a person can do to defend himself. People will never believe the denials.

20. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

It's impossible for Clemens to prove a negative.

21. Longhorn_94

Longhorn_94 100+ Posts

why would filing a lawsuit prevent him from testifying before congress? and now he has opened himself up to having to give a deposition and respond to written discovery. it doesnt sound like a very good way to avoid anything.

i dont know who is telling the truth and i really dont care. i am, however, very disturbed by the fact that a former team trainer is allegedly revealing confidential medical information to the government and the public in violation of health care laws.

it doesnt make any difference to me whether clemens or bonds used steroids. i think baseball was stupid for stirring all of this up again.

22. austintexas

austintexas Guest

it's the same tired game. "Clemens is gay". Prove he's not. The entire Mitchell investigation is just an abortion of an effort to "clean up" the game by Selig. Selig... [​IMG]

23. TexasTower

TexasTower 500+ Posts

24. evil horn

evil horn 100+ Posts

25. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

I watched the interview and I don't think it helped him much but why does everyone just assume he is guilty? McNamee was pressured to name Roger and was also never told what was in the, alleged, needles. He deserves the benefit of the doubt. There is no evidence what so ever that he did it. Innocent until proven guilty.

26. austintexas

austintexas Guest

TexasTower,
    Some differences in Bonds and Clemens:
    -Bonds' body dramatically changed in a very short period of time--Clemens has not changed at all.
    -Bonds productivity dramatically improved in just one season--Clemens' did not at all. Same, steady domination from season to season.
    -Bonds has more than one source claiming he doped.
    -Bonds is a much bigger cock than Clemens..and that's saying something.

27. Nolalonghorn16

Nolalonghorn16 250+ Posts

Disagree on 3 of your 4 points:

28. austintexas

austintexas Guest

What a ridiculous retort. The Clemens pictures are taken 20 years apart. ANY man gains weight in 20 years. Try Bonds' photos from the mid/late 90s to the early 2000s. If you can't see there is a dramatic difference in Bonds' body in a few short years, there's nothing I can do for you.

Try these. Both taken during his Giants years, not the Pirate photos you see so often. Notice the neck more than anything.The Link
    Stats:
    The Link
    The Link
    Dramatic increase from 2000-2001 for Bonds. Look at HRs and Slugging increases and the dropoff in SBs.

Meanwhile, Clemens numbers proved to be steady, consistent, but a slight, steady dropoff in the past 5 or so seasons.
    The Link

BTW, you link takes me to a Canadian newspaper with no story.

29. eflow24

eflow24 1,000+ Posts

Furthermore, if Roger was done before the 1998 season when he started steroids, allegedly, and then got off in 2001, well how did a 42 year old win the Cy Young in 2004 if steroids were the reason for everything?

How is it that he got BETTER as he got older without the steroids?

30. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Come on. Even if McNamee is telling the truth regarding the last time he (allegedly) injected Clemens with steroids or HGH, it doesn't mean that Clemens didn't subsequently get someone else to do the dirty work, or even himself.