Clint Chapman

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Septimus, Dec 5, 2009.

1. Septimus

Septimus 250+ Posts

Sorry if this is old news, but I was just curious why we haven't seen this guy on the court this year. I know he wasn't expected to be a big contributor but I've even seen some walk on freshmen out there during garbage time, but no Chapman. Is he hurt?

2. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

He supposedly had the flu the first couple of games. There are lots of rumors about him being redshirted, rumors that started well before the season did. The rationale for the redshirt would be the lack of any size other than Thompson in 2011-12 season.

I'm beginning to think redshirt is the plan, but I have some concerns about that, since the team has no one over 6'7" contributing other than PIttman. I wish Matt Hill could contribute significant minutes, but that just isn't going to happen.

3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

With Wangmene back, it might be best to save at least one big man for next year. If that's his rationale and goal.

If not, we better start looking for transfers from Division II or something. We're going to be thin underneath.

4. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

bierce, I hear ya. Not enough big guys to make the run they want to make.

5. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

He played four minutes against Long Beach St.

6. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Four very active and promising minutes. While he still showed signs of hjaving dificulty finishing on a couple of plays, he was the focal point of the offense while he was in and was doing a very good job of getting position low and receiving the pass.

To redshirt or not to redshirt is a difficult question. I really think Chapman is needed by this team this year, but I do recognize the fear of lacking sufficient size in 2011-12. When Pittman isn't in the game, Texas doesn't seem to have another good inside scoring option against a team with size. Wangmene is improving, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a bigger body in there.

Rakeem Christmas, come on down.
    The Link

7. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

It seems like Tristan (Thompson) could be an impact player in the paint next year.

8. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. And Matt Hill and Chapman each have one year left, so next year isn't that much of a problem. It's the 2011-12 season in which Texas looks to have Thompson if he stays a second year and 6'7" Wangmene and Daniels. With the other length in the wings (Williams and Lewis, for example), I'm not as alarmed as I would be with a team that's short up front and playing thre 6'0" guards, but the biggest need is clearly for another big man or two with remaining scholarship slots over the next couple of years.

9. fall01nk

fall01nk 250+ Posts

Call me crazy, but I'd rather see Matt Hill in the game than Chapman. Chapman gives up more and-1s than anyone in recent memory...

10. overmaars

overmaars 1,000+ Posts

Christmas would be a nice get.

Quality education and ability to make an immediate impact are the most important things to him and his aunt. Hoyas will have the fewest big men, (only Sims?) and are the premier program for high school big men of considerable promise. Plus it's closer proximity to home.

TX will have a very established Wangmene and Thompson, FL will have Kadji and Murphy, OK will have Gallon, Hardrick, Fitzgerald. I'll remain hopeful, but odds might favor Georgetown.

11. Longhorn01

Longhorn01 500+ Posts

Both Hill and Chapman got some minutes today against Texas State.