Coach Orlando takes ownership

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

that’s how it’s done ...

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Bravo, no excuses, just solutions on how to fix it. That is a real coach right there.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I agree, now let's see some results and I'll REALLY be impressed!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

We are better than last year. That’s results so far. But I hear ya, always want more

6. rick mueller

My remark was meant to apply strictly to the tackling issue on defense, not the overall results.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Matagorda

Matagorda 25+ Posts

Gotta try something different. Im for anything.

8. AC

AC 2,500+ Posts

I agree as well. Defense has to step up. ISU is another trap game just at home. We need the injured players back and BETTER tackling to get the W. We know Sam and the receivers will step up.

9. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

If the defense plays just a hair above average, these Horns can beat pretty much anyone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

I agree. In some of the biggest games, our defense played great in spurts and sometimes for the majority of the game, only to give up a big quarter. For example, Okie State and Tech had almost 50% of their total offense in the 1Q and 4Q, respectively. If you normalize Tech and Okie State based on the other 3Qs (and assuming my math right), Okie State would have had 333 yards and Tech 433. Both well under their averages. WVU had a quarter that accounted for over a third of their total yardage, which is admittedly a bit more balanced. (WVU had 194 of their 578 yards in the 1Q.)

But given how close the games to Okie State and WVU were, we didn't need much more out of our defense -- like maybe just one more stop -- to get a win in each game. And, as they've performed well enough at times there is reason to think that at least slight imrpovement is easily within reach, at least in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  11. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I think you can get a little greedy and ask for 2 more stops per game.

• Like Like x 2
  12. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Sure why not? And while we are at it let’s toss in a pick 6. Haha. My less than well articulated point was that we really just needed one more stop in each game to change the outcome and in both games we showed the ability to stop their offenses on multiple occasions.

The stat I couldn’t readily find is our d’s 3rd down percentage. It feels to me like we are below average in that category, which if true would even further underscore the point.

13. YearOfTheSteer

YearOfTheSteer 500+ Posts

Completely disagree that this is a trap game considering what is on the line for this team and fact that it will be the final home game for the Seniors. Next week's game against KU will not be on anyone's mind Saturday night, so the players should be completely focused on the task at hand. Gotta lay it all on the line and hope for some help from Okie St.

14. Matagorda

Matagorda 25+ Posts

How exciting would it be if they didnt score on their first possession? Or better yet, first two?

• Agree Agree x 5
  15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

My biggest question is what we do about Hakeem Butler. He has nearly half Iowa State's receiving yards on the season. We can't just stick Boyd on him and hope that works. Because that hasn't worked yet this season.

Tackle, bracket Butler, and keep David Montgomery in check and we win the game. Luckily Montgomery helped us a little with that already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Owning up only matters if the problems actually get fixed. Lets see what happens.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Iowa State has won five in a row including whipping the team that beat us in DKR. Anyone that thinks this is a "trap" game hasn't been paying attention. I feel pretty comfortable no one in the UT offices sees this as anything other than a battle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Texas played oSu away and lost, then played WVU at home and lost, back-to-back weekends.

ISU played oSu away and won, then played WVU at home and won by 10 points, back-to-back weekends.

ISU is, like Texas, playing for the same outside chance to make the Big 12 title game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Big key to this game is controlling / limiting Butler....

21. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I don't think you understand the concept of a trap game. A trap game is a game that should be an easy win, but circumstances make it easy to over look and fall into the trap.

There is nothing trap about this game. This is going to be a hard win for Texas. These guys are not a push over, they are a good football team with a very good coach. OSU was a classic trap game because they were having a down season, the game was in Stool Water and it was after Oklahoma and before WVU.

Texas is no longer in a position to think they can over look ISU, so to answer your question, no this isn't a trap game at all.

22. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Memo to Coach Orlando:

• Like Like x 5
  23. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

ISU was never going to be an easy win.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. rick mueller

Watch that video and you will see every mistake our guys are making.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  25. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

That's why DKR is a legend. He was ferocious when it came to fundamentals. Most modern day coaches seem to focus on scheming and week-to-week "management" of the team. The exception is Saban...he is laser focused on every minutia of practices and games. I've noticed over the years the modern player loves to run at full speed and use his helmet and shoulders area to just crash into the runner hoping to blow the runner up. Footwork and body control is critical in tackling, as explained by DKR in this video. As he said, if you play proper technique with heart and grit on defense, you're never out of any game.

• Agree Agree x 6
  26. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It sounded to me like you and @ProdigalHorn are saying the same thing. Well, except he isn't saying that he doesn't understand the concept of a trap game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

This should be required viewing at least once per week in the off-season and twice weekly DURING the season until they get it right...then it can be scaled back to once a week as a reminder.

• Like Like x 2
  28. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I don't think you understand the concept of replying to a thread. You should be replying to @AC post not @ProdigalHorn. ;)

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Great post BuckHorn

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hottest team ever n the conference. If Orlando doesn't come through with a scheme for some pressure (without leaving clean openings) and improving the tackling it will be a looong night.