Coach Pierce Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by Chop, May 3, 2023.

1. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

So you’re saying he out-recruited his conference foes in just his first year in the new conference? Now I’m even more impressed with him. Just imagine how he might recruit at Texas.

2. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Possibly. But DBU was already a better program than the others and is located in some pretty fertile recruiting grounds. That historic power UTSA is running through that conference too.

I am sure he’d do fine here.

3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Sez you.

Guys like you just want to ride the fence so you can enjoy the "I told you so" if and when the coach falters. I ain't gonna live like that.

I say there's LOTS of stats to show that Coach Pierce is doing a good job. Many of them I have cited. If you still wanna withhold your support, that is your right. Carry on.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Phil Elliott

If you think he chose to replace Tulo, then youre not following along closely enuf for me to argue with you about this subject.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WJHorn

WJHorn 25+ Posts

You have no clue about what motivates my opinion, because I have absolutely no interest in saying "I told you so" at any point. I do however have an interest in seeing the program perform up to its potential. And in my view there are numerous reasons to be concerned.

6. Phil Elliott

Well you sit on your tale and I will sit on mine. :)

7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Coach Pierce has really developed Dylan Campbell into an excellent batter.

Last edited: May 7, 2023
  8. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

That sounds a lot like Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, and Shaka Smart. How did those work out?

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, Shaka was great and is now making waves at Marquette, but the other 2 were lousy.

10. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

One thing I do give Pierce credit for is having an eye for talent and why i'm halfway excited about the future talent coming to the team especially pitching.

• Like Like x 1
  11. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

put this here since recruiting was mentioned. Top player in cali committed to us. I imagine it will be tough to get him on campus though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. It's like the pitcher Sykora. I'd love for him to come to UT, but he may be headed straight to the pros.

We've got a number of good pitching prospects coming in next year. This includes 2 very, very good ones that probably won't go pro right away. 1 is from Friendswood, 1 is from Wisconsin. We've also got this long haired dude with some nasty movement on his breaking stuff, and a mean, dangerous, big, huge man who throws 95+ mph.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 19, 2023
  13. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

yeah, guess we will see if he makes it on campus, he’s one I’ve been watching too.

• Hot Hot x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This man.....

[​IMG]

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pierce had us well prepared for league leading West Virginia. WV looked like deer in the headlights. Maybe their opposition should have been in the camo... (slightly ridiculous uniforms--not 1970s Pittsburgh Pirates ridiculous, but ridiculous nonetheless).

[​IMG]
    :smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin::smokin:

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    Rik Ocasik on the mound???

16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Off topic, but I can't help myself when this popped up on the screen, and this thread tangented off to stupid-looking uniforms:

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

These are hideaos.

Fan of the black and yellow.

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I beg to differ, the 70's era Pirates unis are classic!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Looked him up, it's Kent Tekulve. 16 years as a reliever.
    [​IMG]

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We should have one side-armer on the staff just to throw off the other teams. We miss Cobb a little bit.

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pierce has built a good overall lineup, and really developed the batters up and down the lineup. Same with the fielding.

And Pierce's development of LBJ, Gordon, and Shaw has been outstanding.

Further, as a foundation, Pierce knows who to offer, and who not to offer, based on his evaluation and eye for talent. Kash's scholarship negotiation was his only big strikeout. Babe Ruth struck out a lot. Otherwise, Pierce has an exceptional eye for talent.

We sure are lucky to have him.

:ut::ut::ut:

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pierce has out-coached West Virginia's Randy Mazey.
    Somebody needs to teach WV's pitchers how to pitch.

:tap:

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

I'm not a big fan of submarine throwers, most of the time their pitches don't move that much and it ends up flat, tends to look like a big meat ball.

Florida had one or two over a decade ago and they were highly ranked, it may have been the team we beat in the championship game and if so they got that far but I digress, anywho, I knew if we faced them and they trotted that guy out that he was going to get dog walked back to the dugout and I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened.

• Hot Hot x 1
  24. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Woody and Rodriguez should get credit for developing their respective responsibilities but I def give credit for the eye for talent to Pierce. He's responsible for everyone on the team as far as I'm aware. Campbell, EK, Powell, Gordon, Harrison, Witt were all great finds but that's me being too lazy to look up their rankings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Woody gets his fair share of the credit. No doubt.

26. Phil Elliott

Man Chop you gotta get over your hate-on for Steve Rodriguez. He's doing a good job. So what if he was a crappy HC at Baylor? We did not hire him for that gig.

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ummmmm. I didn’t say anything bad about any of our coaches there. And I don’t hate any of them.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Pierce is the Captain of this ship. He gets the most credit.

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

We sure hit the stuffing out of WV’s side-armer yesterday.

Looking back at Cobb—his numbers were pretty good. We could have used him well in middle and long relief this year.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Injuries to Witt and the freshman middle reliever from last year who was really good hurt the team - likely half of the losses could have been avoided if these 2 stayed healthy. Not sure how these key injuries are the fault of Pierce.

• Agree Agree x 1