Coach Royal

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BigEarlinBastrop, Oct 31, 2012.

1. BigEarlinBastrop

BigEarlinBastrop 250+ Posts

So glad to have met him a few times. He was moving slow when he appeared for coin toss earlier this year. God's blessing to him and to his family.

DMN Link

2. dillohorn

dillohorn Guest

Long live the King. [​IMG]

3. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

4. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Nice picture of a time when Memorial Stadium was a wonderful stadium to sit in and watch a game.

If only the generation today could have been there and experienced it before it became what it is today. Card Section, with the band RIGHT THERE... in that part of the freaking stadium. And an actual scoreboard. With an actual clock.

Oh well... Life has passed me by. [​IMG]

5. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

6. bevo66

bevo66 < 25 Posts

I'm right with you Hu_Fan. We could actually hear the band. By gone days.

7. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

I've been a Horns fan for several decades and had the good fortune to see Coach Royal on the sideline during his glory years. More fond memories than I could ever count.

After all this time, I never knew that the "K" in his name isn't a middle initial, but is for his mother Katy that died when he was an infant. She passed away from cancer, but because of the stigma surrounding the disease at the time, he was told she died in childbirth and didn't find out the truth until he was an adult.

8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hu Fan, I couldn't agree with you more. And the smell of the fresh cut grass wafting into the stands on a fall afternoon or evening. And the noise at the stadium made by the fans and bands, not the freaking jumbo tron amplifiers.

[​IMG]

9. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

Hu_ fan I totally agree with you about all your points. I would like to see the university of Texas turn off the loud Jumbotron score board for one game and have a card section plus here only the band play for the whole game. plus maybe hear some old clips from the Wally Pryor days and a slippery rock score that's the kind of Texas football I grew up with here being born and raised in Austin
    [​IMG]
    I use to love to talk to coach royal at El Patio and the Stallion Drive in two of Austin originals

10. Bevo-Stevo

Bevo-Stevo 1,000+ Posts

11. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I can hear the band and I can't really get much farther away from them without being outside of the stadium altogether.

12. Hipsquare

Hipsquare 100+ Posts

Best coach ever! Drove Bud Wilkinson into retirement, spanked Bear Bryant's *** every time they played, and, like me, hated that lying, cheating, sorry SOB Barry Switzer. .

13. notanative

notanative 1,000+ Posts

Things to remember from the good ole days:

1. Horns up and feet making noise on the wooden seats for kickoff.

2. Almost the entire stadium yelling "Go! Go!" with Horns motioning in the direction needed for the score.

3. Cheerleaders who were really into the game (where is Bill Melton when you need him).

4. And yes, no overbearing electronics (but let's remember, so many on here were so boastful of Godzillatron until it roared).

5. The sound of the Longhorn Bank reverberating under the stands like an earthquake-in-waiting, giving notice that they were about to enter the stadium. AWESOME!!!!

6. 'Blanket Tax' seats (receipt, only, until the card was issued). I fondly remember getting to a game early and seeing a section of seats on the 50 blocked/reserved for the "SWC Sportsmanship Committee Representatives", only to have some clever dudes and their dates arrive just before kickoff to tear the sign away and take the seats they had cleverly saved.

7. Remembering when we 'arrived' and had our card section for the first time. Seriously, I doubt you could get today's students to do a card section - so many would be looking to establish their Youtube/Facebook moment it'd never happen, not at Texas.

8. The beat goes on....

14. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

9. The knothole section
    10. Going down on the field after games
    11. The six flags of Texas at the end of the stadium
    12. Some big local high school games in the stadium

15. Bill in Sinton

Bill in Sinton 5,000+ Posts

When all the college kids wanted to go to the game and cheer the Horns on and wouldn't sell their tickets for any price. [​IMG]

16. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

Thanks everybody for adding to the memories.

At the games this season I've felt a depression and weirdness at the total game experience. The audio and loudness of the Godzillitron is interfering with the total game experience. No wonder other stadiums have a completely different atmosphere. The game should be fans talking and yelling during and after plays, and the band as the only entertainment sounds.

And here we are blaming the coaches and players for lack of showing up to perform. It is a bizarre experience to sit in the upper deck and look down on the strangeness, and I have a front row seat up there but feel hardly engaged as I might be.

The atmosphere is sterile and even a bit more unreal than watching on a televised broadcast.

The Jumbotron could be financed for by a donor -- anybody want their family name up there for Eternity? -- and certain overall revenue, then used as a University / Conference promotional board only. LOSE the advertising, and stop the Higher-Than-Necessary Decibels, and alternate during stoppages of play with low level background sounds/music while showing ads for
    (a) fine arts recitals and other events,
    (b) other sports such as volleyball, swimming, etc.
    (c) promotions for graduate programs,
    (d) announcements of achievement, grants, special recognitions...
    and LIMIT the number of on-field recognitions to one per half, one before kickoff and one at half-time, no more than four per game.

End the on-field contests and stuff that Erwin Center thrives on.

REGDA..pronounced Reg-Dah!!! REstore Game Day Atmosphere. It's seriously needed.

If you turned it over to me I would pull together a committee of alumni, and current students... to include current and past band members and staff, heavy-hitter donors, and a group of former players who can input from what it feels like as a player at the games -- and hand the AD an outline of how to turn this stadium into the finest Game Day experience in the land. We have the facility for it, it's just being prostituted in the worst possible way and is actually diminishing the game as a total experience for the players most of all.

I'd forgotten about the bats. Good call. And a common yell was "Go... Go... Go Horns Go".. with the Horns-Up all angling toward the end of the field the drive was heading toward.

So Mack Brown's tenure brought back the former players and alums, but forgot to bring back the stadium experience. "The Eyes" under the stands by the dressing room after the game.... that opening refrain... full brass resounding.... brings chills sitting here writing this.

[​IMG] That stadium could rock if done properly. And it damn well could inspire the football team to take everything, and I mean everything, to a whole new level. What if the sorry *** electronic canned commercial business-like creation for stadium experience is at least half the reason this team is not playing like Notre Dame played at Norman?

17. longhorn_melissa

longhorn_melissa 250+ Posts

My dad grew up just a stone's throw away from the UT campus and was one of 11 children. My grandparents had very little money, and my dad and his brother would go down and wait outside of Gregory gym when basketball games were going on. He said that when Coach Royal would show up he'd pat my dad on the back and say to the person taking tickets, "Hey, can you let my friend in?" Of course they weren't going to say no to coach. I always loved hearing that story. [​IMG]

18. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I do miss going on the field after games.

19. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Probably the sole reason I went to the University. My Dad was a huge fan and I grew up in the Royal hey day.

Great article and I will say a prayer for Edith and Darrell tonight. As my Dad always said, "those are good people." [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Always the best for Coach, Edith and his family.

I too loved going on the field after games. And on Sundays we could go there and have our own games. Much different times.

Thank you DKR.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

21. scottyhorn

scottyhorn 250+ Posts

I still remember buying knot hole tickets at Randall's for $5 each limit 10 tickets and handing them out to all my friends before the game.

22. lkainer

lkainer 500+ Posts

Totally agree. We need to tame godzillatron and get back to old school college football with the band, cheerleaders, and chaps girls. Use godzillatron to televise them.

[​IMG]