Coach Stephen Ambrose Sarkisian.......Staff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t normally like to use the derisive, and somewhat insulting, term “Rust Belt”. But in the case of Youngstown, it fits. That place makes Steubenville, Weirton, and Mingo Junction seem like Highland Park, Beverly Hills, and Greenwich, CT.

On a positive note, I can see how that place is known for producing tough football players—and good coaches.

2. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Right. Are we seriously considering this a$$ clown for our staff?

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

But why?
    Because rust never sleeps?

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It seems that football approaches a near religious status there. And they have nothing else going for them. They grow up tough in that town. Think Odessa Permian in the oil bust years.

Years ago, Miami of Ohio was the cradle of coaches. As much crap as we sometimes give the Buckeyes on these boards, Ohio is a darn good football state—one of the best. The Texas of the North.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

My take -- It's possible, but the rumor is he would go back to Saban
    Despite the numbers at little ut, most still consider him as defensive savant
    If we did hire him, he could probably be DC until the NCAA finished, which wont be for awhile
    At that point, if they stuck him (which they will have to if its Level 1 infractions), we would have to cut him loose or possibly face some danction ourselves. I think is what we did with Chris Vaughn. Maybe we get 2 years out of him that way?

And I think Saban once took it a step further. He hid someone from the NCAA in the face of these sort of charges at another school by not having him officially on staff, but as a "consultant" or some such nonsense. But I cant rmbr who it was?

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I dunno. Sounds like a one way ticket to probation and trouble in general. And speaking of savants, didn’t we just dismiss one?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

To Ole Miss, for STs

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Savanting is hard

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha! He must have had the refried beans at Matt's El Rancho for lunch before coming up with that one. Something about GAS.
    :fiestanana:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Let's trade Herman and his salary to Tennessee for Pruitt as our DC. Maybe they can throw in a few OL, LB's, DE's, CB's, S, to make it sweeter.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Denmark

Denmark 500+ Posts

We have plenty of stench of our own in TX ;)

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you for your participation, but we haven't had that kind of "stench" in the State since Todd Graham left the State, and not sure even Bum Bright could come close to the Haslams.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Why in the world would we hire Pruitt? We just fired a guy with no class but at least he wasn’t cheating .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Texex81

Texex81 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The rankings for Pete Kwiatkowski’s defenses using modern defensive stats (FEI/SP) since he became the DC at Boise St

2010: 2nd (FEI), 6th (SP)
    2011: 24th, 15th
    2912: 19th, 19th
    2013: 68th, 58th
    2014 (moved to UW): 23rd, 31st
    2015: 5th, 27th
    2016: 6th, 4th
    2017: 14th, 13th
    2018: 8th, 4th
    2019: 16th, 24th
    2020: 65th, 10th (only 4g)*

*2020 stats - the UDub people say half their defense was out per virus from China protocols in their last game which killed the DFEI stat with only 4 games played

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Wash247 board mod says he expects it to happen.
    The fans love Kwiatkowski and are not happy

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Latest projection

HC/OC - Sark
    OL/OC - Flood
    QB - Milwee
    RB - Drayton
    WR - Coleman
    TE/ST - Banks

DC/LB (or OLB) - Kwiatkowski
    DL - Davis
    LB/ILB - ?
    DBs - Joseph
    CB - ?
    S/ST - Gideon

Hutzler could still be the ILB or LB coach, but Kwiatkowski has a longtime ILB named Bob Gregory who has been his ILB coach since 2010/Boise
    And Raymond could still be the CB coach

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Regarding draft picks

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  23. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Fine w me.
    My only pause is based on my view of Pac12 offenses.
    It it isn't a knee-jerk view.
    There's a reason they haven't been fairing well in bowl games last few years.
    The offenses are slower and less dynamic IMO. Looks like football but on a 15+ year lag.
    Otherwise....the guy is well liked, has the street cred, hopefully does his homework and has a good supporting staff......
    And I hope whatever he does translates to here....and that goes for all the sec guys coming, as well.
    :hookem:

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They played Bama in the 2016 playoffs. The UW defense gave them all they wanted. Alabama's defense won the game 24-7 (off turnovers including a pick 6)
    Guess who was the Alabama Offensive Analyst/interim OC for that game?
    It was your new head coach who must have remembered the defense well
    2016 Peach Bowl - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

I'm still a huge defensive football guy. Love stingy defense....and it certainly helps win championships...in any sport. But, let's be clear, athletes and sports have changed. They are all much more athletic, agressive, fast, dynamic in nature and this favors offense. See LSU...see Bamas evolution and big win. Look at the NBA, tennis, golf???lol, badminton, checkers, etc...
    I am saying this as, while I hope we have a tough nosed defense, I also believe and hope Sark can move us forward into success as related to the trend in our game.

Here is a snapshot of the NFL playoffs...

"In fact, all four conference finalists ranked in the top six in total offense, all averaging more than 30 points."

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well that came out of the blue. He sounds like a good one.

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Of the Texas paysites, TFB was way ahead of any of the rest of them
    They knew about this for over a week, were asked to sit on it, did sit on it, but strongly hinted it was coming.
    They kept saying there was another DC target no one had mentioned yet, that it was going to happen and that everyone would like the choice
    All the other paysites were just taking their paying customers for a ride

I sort of dont like this since the TFB guys are mostly Oklahoma but it is what it is

• Like Like x 2
  29. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I agree. Three sort of invisible things about defense: First, as you say, conference and opposing QBs. In retrospect, giving up 400 yards to Patrick Mahomes doesn’t actually prove you are an idiot. Second, style of your own offense. If you run an offense that gives you and your opponent 90 plays each, well of course you give up 2x the points and yards of 55 play games. Third, weak links. You can do brilliant coaching and schemes but have 1 or 2 positions that are poorly recruited or decimated by injury, and a flood of points and yards pours through that one hole, making it look like you didn’t even coach or prepare at all.

I think we can field 11 good players, so if the coaching is good, we can have good enough defense relative to the number of plays. Statistics really aren’t the best predictor.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  30. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 4