Coach Stephen Ambrose Sarkisian.......Staff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jan 3, 2021.

1. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I agree. He started at Safety for 4 years, and while not among the best Texas Safeties, 4-year starter means something. Time to let the sting of the dropped interception in the 2008 Tceh game go. If the defense had played the first half the dropped interception would not have mattered.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I did not like what I read above. However, he is at Bama now and that seems to be working out OK. I can live with the staff at Bama moving to Texas. :)

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I was there in the Tech alumni section. I cannot let it go.
    However, happy to see alum on staff. Given his relative athleticism, Gideon must have had a 180 football IQ to be a 4 year starter.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

But he still dropped an easy game winning, probable Heisman ensuring, B12 Championship berth ensuring and likely National Championship Game berth ensuring, interception.

All that said, he may very well be a damn good coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Doubt the Gideon play would have even happened had we not gotten a safety on the first damn play from scrimmage.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

There were other factors in that loss.

Gideon is the current hot commodity at the ST position.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IT saying Odom interviewed but wasn’t offered the job

8. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 2
  9. LonghornCatholic

I wonder how much they offered Meyer.....

10. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Shipley dropped what looked like a sure TD deep ball earlier in the game. O line was terrible in the first half, but, when it was time to close out the game... BG dropped it.

Painful memory, but he might be a really good coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

What new assistants are confirmed?

12. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I just looked at the winning drive by Tech.

1) Excellent kick-off return. Gave them good field position.
    2) Clear push-off by Tech receiver for a first down. No call.
    3) Gideon's drop.
    4) The TD pass with 8 seconds left. The safety (Earl Thomas?) took a horrible angle.

Blake could have ended it, but it was just one play out of several on that drive alone that could have won it for the Horns.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2021
  13. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

All I know is, I realized yesterday I hadn't heard anything about a wife's house shopping, personal tastes or spending habits so I started thinking we may have the right man here

• Like Like x 1
  14. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Earl and the other UT back that was also defending Crabtree are just as much to blame as poor Gideon. They both seemed to freeze. All they had to do was tackle him and the game was over.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

The lead was 2. The TT kicker wasn't going to miss a field goal. Texas' only chance was at that end of the field was a turnover. Unfortunately, the interception didn't happen. They hurried up and threw it to Crabtree. He goes out of bounds, the clock stops, they kick a field goal and win by 1.

I admit it's been 12 years but I can still feel the agony of Gideon dropping that interception. I get it, move on, but if only it was Earl Thomas on that play.....

17. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Here is the tape of the winning Tech drive if you want to stick a needle in your own eye...

• poop poop x 5
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

No one should be hired based on emotion. To get a job on UT staff, your previous coaching experience should be the benchmark. If that happens to be Gideon then so be it but enough of the I like him as a person/player. No more social justice hires.

Hire the best MF at whatever position you are interviewing for and ride him like a rented mule to the championship!

PS: ou sux!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

I took the bait and now need the needle to the eye. Still dont understand Earl Thomas angle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

24/7 reporting Gideon is in.

• Like Like x 4
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Since they’re done knocking Chris Simms for now, they’re back to slamming Blake Gideon for one darn play out of a good four year career.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  22. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Hornfans gonna hornfan

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  23. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

It was definitely the worst angle in the history of angles.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

We'll never know for sure, but it all depends . Crabtree scampered into the end zone with 1 second to go. If Thomas and Curtis Brown try to tackle him in the field of play.... who knows how long that takes. One thing is for sure, Earl Thomas didn't play like an NFL corner on that play. At least Brown tried to arm tackle him. It was a pretty sorry effort on both their parts.

25. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I think in the LHN documentary of the season, Mack said Earl told him he didn't ant to get a penalty and claimed to have heard a whistle.

26. LonghornCatholic

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

It was a triple obtuse angle.

28. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

Hamilton at IT reported today that LSU DBs coach and recruiting coordinator, Corey Raymond, is still in play

• Like Like x 1
  29. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Is that what the Texas sports teams are doing now? Jan 2021?

30. Orangeyman

Orangeyman 100+ Posts

Agreed-
    Good god- I sure hope no one is focusing on ONE moment in my life YEARS later and blaming me for something.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1