Coaching Carousel - 2023

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Mar 2, 2023.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Raegan Pebley stepping down at TCU a few days ago and now Lindsay Whalen at Minnesota. Can't say that I'm shocked - 0 coaching experience and then dropped into a very tough conference in recent seasons.

Minnesota coach Whalen resigns at alma mater

Post any coach news in this thread and I'll try to keep the first post updated.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  3. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I saw speculation that Karen Aston could be a possibility for TCU

4. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

She was mentioned in one article but personally I would call Lindy La Rocque first. Mark Kellogg also a name to watch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

My question is whether or not KA would even be interested.

6. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I liked Coach Pebley. Her teams appeared to be well coached and seemed to put out a lot of effort in games. But a lack of W’s the last couple of years sealed her fate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

She seems to like it at UTSA and is building something there. I don’t see her going anywhere.

Lance White is out at Pitt, Terry Fowler out at South Alabama.

Pepperdine, Tarleton State, and North Florida have all released their HC as well.

• Like Like x 2
  8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking that KA was probably happy back in South Central Texas, and employed again within the UT system where she already has many years. I'm hoping she can turn UTSA into a relevant mid-major.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

I follow them closely as I was always a huge KA advocate while understanding she wasn’t the right fit for UT.

UTSA had 2 wins, 0 in conference before her

Year 1 for KA: 7 wins, 4 in Conf

Year 2: 11 wins(4 consecutive) with an incredible 9 wins in CUSA, also having the shoe-in for CUSA POY Jordyn Jenkins averaging over 20PPG.

She is doing a remarkable job and if she stays there for an extended amount of time they will be a very good mid major and tough to keep out of the NCAA’s in a few seasons.

• Like Like x 4
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I believe she'll stick around and that program will be successful. I'm rooting for her.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I'd guess La Rocque's cell will be very busy in the coming weeks considering her success at UNLV and her current bargain basement salary. From an Athletic article about possible replacements for Whalen:

Lindy La Rocque, UNLV head coach
    The 33-year-old would be an outside-the-box hire considering she has no obvious Big Ten or Midwest ties, but in her fourth year at UNLV, La Rocque already has proved her chops as a coach who can turn around a program. After going 15-9 in her first year, she has reeled off three consecutive 25-win seasons, and last year she got the Lady Rebels back to the NCAA Tournament for the first time in two decades. Many assume the Stanford grad, who went to four Final Fours with the Cardinal, is waiting for a Pac-12 job to open. But with conference realignment making the future uncertain, those allegiances might not mean as much anymore. La Rocque is making $150,000 in base salary this season, but that doesn’t mean Minnesota could skimp on an offer to her, considering many anticipate she’ll be one of the most highly sought-after coaches in the country.

• Like Like x 2
  13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

14. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Melanie Moore and Xavier “mutually agree” to part ways

15. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

Suzy Merchant out at Michigan State.
    Georgetown, Weber State, and Central Connecticut State have all opened up as well.

16. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

Hearing that Bill Brock, who was a long time assistant at Baylor for Kim Mulkey, but did not follow her to LSU, may be up for the Head Coach Position at Tarleton State. I think he is currently coaching in the Juco ranks right now.

• Like Like x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Brock is a great guy... I've known him since he was my 6th grade coach (that's a long time ago). Baylor screwed the pooch by not hiring him. He's already got McLennan County College back at the Juco Nationals in his first year.. a program that went .500 last season. It's being reported that he will indeed be going to Tarleton.

Before Baylor, he had a very successful head coaching career at Grayson County College and was consistently among the ranked teams in Juco, with a couple of national tournament appearances. KM hired him and he brought Sheila Lambert with him. The rest was unfortunate history for us.

By adding DI head coaching experience to his resume, I'm wondering if that might result in a return to BU when Collen's days are up. That might not be too far into the future... a couple of years maybe if the program keeps its current trajectory.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I thought Brock retired. I assumed he didn't want to brave the alligator-infested swamps of Louisiana or had developed some kind of adult onset allergy to sequins.

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

What a coup for Tarleton State. Agree BU really whiffed not hiring him

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Maybe he said to himself, "I've had enough shrew to last me a lifetime"

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  21. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Surprising. Based on one year at WVU?

• WTF? WTF? x 2
  22. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Bad for West Virginia but this hire makes great sense for both Minnesota and Coach Plitzuweit. Her playing and coaching roots prior to South Dakota were midwestern all the way. Spent many years with Coach Borseth at Green Bay and Michigan. The good first year at West Virginia provides maybe a bit of confirmation that she can coach in a major conference.

• Agree Agree x 8
  23. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Jalie Mitchell out at UNT

• WTF? WTF? x 4
  24. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

I surely hope we can hold on to our assistant coaches after this season.

• Agree Agree x 5
  25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Jalie will land on her feet quickly as an assistant/associate head coach - she's a good position coach and recruiter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

upload_2023-3-21_9-41-49.png

• Like Like x 2
  27. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Mark Campbell to TCU. Former Oregon assistant who recruited Sabrina there.

28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

“Stepped down” as Memphis HC - said it had nothing to do with the handshake line assault. Looks like this was the reason. Future Big12 coach.

30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

upload_2023-3-27_16-12-9.png

• Like Like x 1