Coaching changes

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 18, 2020.

1. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

How long is his contract?

2. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Here's the link for those interested:
    Texas A&M athletic director Ross Bjork, women’s basketball coach Gary Blair to discuss future

Blair is 74 years old and heading into the final year of his contract. I can't help but wonder if his vision was to retire after the graduation of his current junior class, as his team was very junior-heavy including Chennedy Carter.

Just one more reason why I was gobsmacked that UT accomplished the "double steal" from the clutches of both MS State and A&M.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

That still doesn’t mean that Schaefer wouldn’t change his mind and decide to go there if it opens up today or after next season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Final year of his contract - in 2017 aggy extended Blair through the 2020-2021 season.

5. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Yeah I am leery of this possibility as well. The buyout should be substantial enough to provide a major barrier to this scenario, but there's no way to rule it out completely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Any of y'all thing MSU might look at Goestenkors? She's said she's ready to get back in to coaching.

• Like Like x 1
  7. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

8. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Let's get something straight. Karen isn't gone because she couldn't beat that scum in Waco. She's gone because she was continuously getting beat by teams with less talent, and that was the result of no offensive strategy, lack of discipline, failure to develop players and failure to take care of the ball.

One of the most important points Vic made in his interview is you can't score if you keep giving the ball back to your opponent. Unfortunately, Karen couldn't figure that out.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  9. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Not for $2M... but if it came to her being hired there, if current players stayed I think she'd do very well until it came to getting more recruits. The issue with the MSU job is Starkville...a town of 23k in Mississippi. That's not real attractive to kids, and what Vic accomplished (in the exact same amount of time as KA's tenure at UT) with zero high school All-Americans speaks volumes about his and his staff's abilities, particularly in the area of player development.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
  10. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Doesn't Nell Fortner have Mississippi ties? :e-thinking:

11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

She couldn't make Joyner and others figure that out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Well, she also couldn't make any of her other teams figure that out as well. It has, unfortunately, been a trademark of all of Karen's teams at Texas. IMO, it is because of lack of not only discipline and development, but very poor half-court offensive schemes. That has simply not been one of her strong points.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

According to the ballout.com:
    The primary target for Mississippi State is Louisville’s Jeff Walz, sources tell The Ball Out. The Bulldogs have definitely reached out to Walz and are offering a contract in the range of $1.7M and $2M annually. And with probable budget cuts at Louisville, don’t rule out the possibility that Walz could seriously consider Mississippi State.

Also, Mississippi State Associate head coach Johnnie Harris has been offered anywhere between $450,000-$500,000 a year to come to Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 32horn

32horn < 25 Posts

She also didnt let her coaches.coach...YOU are as good as the people around you if you let them do their jobs

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. 32horn

32horn < 25 Posts

I hope he can bring his coaches with him...

16. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

At 59 yrs old, who knows how much longer Vic plans to stay in coaching. Let's say 8-10 yrs down the road he decides to retire, Harris could possibly inherit the program then. Come to Austin, Johnnie!

• Like Like x 2
  17. HnH

HnH 100+ Posts

Reportedly the top 3 candidates are Walz, Harris and Nikki McCray

• Hot Hot x 1
  18. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Nikki McCray has done a good job as HC at Old Dominion.

19. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Which is EXACTLY what I was saying.... I agree wholeheartedly!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

This article has more holes in it than a block of swiss cheese. Let me guess the columnist is an Aggie?

Saying he fired Karen and didn't fire Shaka leaves out a huge part of the story. I'm not happy Shaka is back and am on the fence about renewing men's tickets next year but to pay someone $10MM to not coach when you may not be playing football in the fall would be insane.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  21. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Totally agree.

22. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I agree on ya'lls interpretation of the of the article. When I was reading it this morning over my coffee and toast, I almost choked. Sherrington knew just enough to get himself in trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. 32horn

32horn < 25 Posts

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Agree. A little of background research would have put an end to that column. But then the Dallas News is all about aggy. A couple of days ago there was a long piece on Jimbo and how aggy was going to conquer in 2020. That writer must have glossed over the fact that Alabama and LSU were still on aggy's schedule. That spells 10-2 and another trip to the Texas Bowl.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

26. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

27. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I don't understand why Jeff Walz would want the job at Mississippi State as he's from Kentucky, Louisville just won their 3rd consecutive ACC regular season championship, and Dana Evans is returning.

My guess is he remains in Louisville and is using Mississippi State in order to force Louisville to increase his salary of $1.475 million to $2 mln.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Louisville is having money problems and the highest paid employees have to take pay cuts which is why he might decide to leave.
    Louisville coaches, Vince Tyra agree to pay cut in coronavirus belt-tightening

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  29. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Loserville lost Papa John and life at YumYum ain't what it once was plus Corona ain't their friend.

• Like Like x 1
  30. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1