Coaching changes

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Moooooo, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Marlene Stollings announced the hiring of a new assistant coach:

Carlene Mitchell - Assistant Coach - Staff Directory - Texas Tech Red Raiders

I'll be the first to admit that I don't keep up very much with assistant coaches on other staffs, but this initially made me think "another staff change?"; so, I went back to look at her assistant coaches since she took over at Tech.

- 2018-19: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Erin Grant, Larry Tidwell
    - 2019-20: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Malikah Willis, Alysiah Bond
    - 2020-21: Nikita Lowry Dawkins, Malikah Willis, Carlene Mitchell

So, after her first two seasons, she's lost 3 assistant coaches.

Erin Grant left her alma mater to join the USC staff.

Larry Tidwell (who has coached a lot in the state of Texas) left to join the Kansas staff (quit after one season, and was replaced by Terry Nooner).

Alysiah Bond left to join the Missouri State staff.

All that to say that is a lot of coaching turnover. That has to hurt recruiting (relationships), player development, and staff cohesion. If that keeps up, she won't last much longer at Tech as any additional staff turnover will surely raise some eyebrows. Granted, it would be different if they were leaving for career advancement, but that doesn't seem to be the case (other than maybe Grant).

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
  2. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Notice the first two have stayed the same. The bottom two on any staff will always have the greatest non-HC change turnover.

3. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Wow I am still rooting for Kara Lawson but to take away a recruits scholarship is terrible and to deny a transfer once they have already been offered a scholarship and taken it is also terrible. I don't like that style of coaching at all

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Not just Aussies...Davis (AZ), Walker (GA). Hard to believe none of them fit the style of play Lawson wants to implement.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Bre Taylor lands at Westlake H.S.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Coach G returns to the game as associate head coach at Central Michigan...

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Jacob Johnson

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  9. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Happy to see this. Means that CDC is investing in women on the 40. Could follow USC’s model and actually start pumpin some money out of this side of the house!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I highly doubt that (post-Covid) WBB revenues will stagnate around the $2.3MM mark. Will they increase enough to justify Schaefer's salary? The staff salaries? That remains to be seen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

No surprise really - heard it was down to her and an Oregon assistant.

• Like Like x 1
  12. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Brittany Brewer is THE player I most wanted to hear from because she developed, excelled, and served as team captain under Marlene Stollings.

Coming out of Abilene Wylie HS, she was highly recruited, but not a top-tier 5-star recruit. She garnered All-Big 12 first team honors and was drafted 17th overall in the WNBA.

Former Texas Tech captain backs up abuse claims in women's basketball

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Okay . . .

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Bill Fennelly... must be referring to the son.

15. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Second time these 2 names have popped up.

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I'm not necessarily surprised by where they landed; they just weren't close to having the same collegiate coaching experience as Travis Mays and Jalie Mitchell who were part of Karen's original staff.

17. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

Keep an eye out on the OU job. Sherri now in hot water with former players.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Uh oh . . .

19. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Bunch of these players make knee jerk reactions based on skin color without waiting for the facts to come out.

20. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

I'm not sure I understand this response. My understanding is that the players responding played for OU and are speaking from their own experience. It will be interesting to see what players, if any, come out in support of Coach Coale. To me, that was one of the most striking aspects of the Marlene Stollings saga at Tech. I read not one story of a current or former player at Tech or Minnesota providing a counter narrative. Usually at least some players will support the coach's style and put her in a more positive light. Anyway, these types of stories could explain some of OU's recruiting woes of late.

• Agree Agree x 4
  21. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Thanks hoopsalot! I was also most interested in what Brittany Brewer had to say because she was not only the team captain, but she excelled and developed under Stollings. Like you said, Brewer confirmed many of the allegations against Stollings.

With regards to Coach Coale, I found this quote to be interesting:

Ijeoma Odimgbe, who played for Coale from 2015-19, also backed up Carter's reaction. "She never speaks anything but facts," Odimgbe tweeted.

And I'm thinking, what's the problem? Why isn't speaking about facts a good thing.

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Odimgbe is saying that Carter doesn’t lie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I've noticed, over the past several years, that the players Coals has had obvious issues with seem to be African American. I've also seen some head-scratching playing time and substitution patterns as well.

These are serious allegations and, if found to have any merit to them, surely she'll be let go. But then again, this is OU we're talking about.

24. Jacob Johnson

I'm all for this if it does get to a discussion point but does anyone think this is realistic??

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I believe if these discussions were to take place, they would be just that. Sixers would be able to say they were open to "considering" a woman, and Staley would be able to use it as a tool to set her apart from other women coaches. She's not going anywhere... she's got the recruiting game conquered and that's going to keep SC among the top programs for years to come.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Does anyone else perceive this as an admission of guilt?

I do.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

This is just something that OU admins told her she had to do and then sweep it under the rug and continue on. I think their [former] players saw the effect the Tech players had on their coach and were willing to speak up. But if OU admin were willing to keep floating Sherri through even their last couple of really bad years, nothing's going to happen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

30. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Not a coaching change, but a change to a coach. My son had brain surgery and this reminded me of what he looked like the next week.

• Like Like x 2