Coaching News and Rumors

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Good for Sark. He was in a dark place at the end of his tenure at UW. Happy that he's turned things around. Sounds like Herman is in the the same spot Sark was at previously.

2. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:lsu: UPDATE

[​IMG]

It may turn into a bidding war between LSU and Michigan State for Mel Tucker.

Jimbo Fisher is still lurking as the odds on favorite for many Tigers.

Lincoln Riley is the final on the top 3.

James Franklin, Lane Kiffin, and Billy Napier are also in the discussion. I suspect Napier is the consolation prize if they can't get one of their first 2-3 choices. The multitude of other potential candidates don't seem to have any traction left.

Update on LSU's coaching search, where coaching stars continue to draw interest

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know of two major players in Baton Rouge that would hire Charlie Strong or Tom Herman before they took James Franklin.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Justin Fuente out.at VT.

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Frogs have talked about Fuente as a possibility. I think they can do better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Don't know who Whit thinks he can get to take that dead-end job. Beamer made VT a winning program by raiding the jails for recruits and cheating his *** off. While I cannot stand Beamer, he did take paying players via airline tickets to an artform.

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:tcu:
    Frogs have interviewed Neon Deon Sanders. While the ever-humble Sanders plays it down, he's supposedly "squarely in the mix" for the TCU job (a source "close to the University's selection committee" told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram).

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    After I finished my laughter, I thought there's just something bada$$ about this dude coaching TCU.

Deion Sanders addresses TCU football coaching rumors: 'Never believe'

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article255669621.html

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:uw:

After firing Jimmy Lake, the Huskies are in the search for his replacement. Mostly some of the middle-tier guys mentioned for other jobs (Napier, Norvell, Grimes, Chadwell, etc.), along with some Western coaches some may be less familiar with. The possibility exists that the Dogs will raid BYU for Kalani Sitake, or go with Chip Kelly or DeBoer. Air Force's Calhoun would make an interesting change--the option to the PAC 12...

15 Coaching Candidates to Replace Jimmy Lake at Washington

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Last edited: Nov 16, 2021
  13. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

From today's TCU practice

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

I don't see that happening - Troy is the right fit at USAFA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:tcu:

AM 660 DFW early evening did a second hand report from the Star-Telegram.

Dykes and Napier are getting the most buzz now.

(Of course, Napier lost to Texas this year, and in our current upside down world, TCU coaches simply do not lose to Texas…)

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure why either one of them would want that job. Jobs at USC, Washington, LSU, Florida are far more attractive.

VT, Convict Gables, Duke lead the field of "why the hell would you take that deadend job" list.

If Sonny is ready to retire, then he should consider the VT job. Spend two miserable years in Bleaksburg, grab the $15-20 million extra, and go to the lake.

• Hot Hot x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

and he would not necessarily be a change of pace in the PAC-12 as the player pool for that league is different from the AFA.

18. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

Seems LSU is the new Texas by getting everyone paid... Can't believe the contract Mel Tucker got. That's insane. Hopefully Riley takes the 12 mill per year for LSU and all their dudes go with him.

19. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

I'm still surprised we didn't take a run at Christobal.

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have an ex-coworker who went to Oregon so I watch Oregon when they are playing late. Christobal is an excellent recruiter and motivator but makes a lot of down and situation "coaching" mistakes. I would rate him on par with Sar without Sark's upside.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

:lsu:
    Here's the latest unofficial finalist list, according to LSUTigerwire (top 2 in bold):
    • Mel Tucker, Mich State
    • Jimbo Fisher, aTm
    • Lincoln Riley, Oklahoma
    • Matt Campbell, Iowa State
    • Mark Stoops, Kentucky
    • Matt Rhule, Carolina (NFL)
    • Billy Napier, ULL
    James Franklin is most definitely out. I still suspect Napier is the consolation prize if LSU strikes out on their first 3-4 (or 5-6) targets. I think he's been holding out for an LSU offer (he supposedly turned down Auburn and Ole Miss, and maybe FSU, last year), and I suspect LSU is his dream job.

What industry experts are saying about the LSU head coaching search

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  22. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Isnt Tucker in line for a big new contract from the Spartans?

PS.............supposedly 10 yr 95 million

• Agree Agree x 2
  23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Va. Tech
    :vatech:

Names being thrown around for this job + Chop's commentary:

Napier - why would he jump ship for that job? He's turned down a lot better already.
    Chadwell - this makes some sense, for both team and coach
    Freeze - a big splash if they take the risk; cheating/ethics/sleeze factor don't seem to be much of a concern at VT
    Marcus Freeman (ND DC) - ?
    Bill O'Brien (Bama OC) - ?
    Mike Houston (E. Carolina) - they could do better
    Curt Cignetti (James Madison) - too big of a jump up
    Dave Clawson - Wake - why would he leave Wake for Va Tech?
    Tony Elliot (Clemson OC) - ? Clemson's O isn't so special without Trevor Lawrence.

I think Chadwell and Freeze are the two to watch.

With Virginia Tech open, which coaches make sense?

24. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Supposedly, it's on the table. Tucker is an Upper Midwest guy. I don't think he'll jump ship for LSU. Not with that sort of $$$$ to stay in his own backyard.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Note: the job at Florida may be opening soon (we'll see). So, some of these top up-and-coming coaches (especially those from the South) may hold off on accepting jobs from Va Tech. The right guy could turn Florida into a monster in a short time. With a weak FSU and so-so Miami, the Gators could dominate down there in short order. Georgia looks like the main competition.

As far as a potential competition between LSU and Florida for coaching talent: I'd put LSU ahead of Florida as far as the caliber and prestige of the coaching position--but not by much. Also, LSU has an opening now. Florida does not--but probably will, we'll see.

:lsu: > :uf: (by a little bit, and for now...)

hurricanes, swamps, and alligators

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Throw in the inmates & bail bondsmen and it's the Bleaksburg way. Beamer left it where they will never be a factor again. Babcock has got to be looking for a way out.

Bill O'Brine makes the most sense because of what he did at State Penn, plus I'd like to see him gone from Alabama before he drags them down.

• Hot Hot x 1
  27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

If LSU likes Fisher, they are more stupid than I had thought.
    But then again we are 4-6 heading to 4-7 so that says a lot about our decision makers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Creek,

I’m curious as to whom you would have hired

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I can’t stand Fisher but he’s a proven commodity. Not elite IMO, but proven. His rambling and obsessive denial several weeks ago when asked leads me to believe that he is deep into the LSU “sweepstakes.” The dude doesn’t possess a high character…

I’ll say this: Perhaps we can hire his DC?

30. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

The question wasn't directed at me, but if I may... there wasn't a good hire to be made for us at the time. Throwing 30million at sark was nonsense. He will get us nowhere just as he did with Washington and USC

Seeing no viable candidates were immediately available, can Herman's ***, hire within and WAIT until the right guy was available. I'd have an eye on Aranda for sure, then the guy at Mich State too.

What we did was Ready, Fire, Aim.

People can talk about we had to get someone in to "clean up the culture" so the hire had to be done now, but guess what? The culture here's STILL toxic. Bo went off on woke/ lazy/ bad (pick your description) kids and it didn't make any difference. They are still quitters. This was a total waste of a hire. Should have waited until a much better candidate was available

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2021