Coaching News and Rumors

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

2. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  3. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Couldn’t be happening to a much better guy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Maybe he’ll be replaced by Tom Herman.

:lmao:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

:oregon:
    Canzano and others confirm.

OREGON HIRES DAN LANNING (Georgia DC) AS THE DUCKS' NEW HEAD FOOTBALL COACH.

Not many saw this one coming. Most of the focus was on West Coasters Chip Kelly, Kalani Sitake, and Justin Wilcox.

5 things to know about Dan Lanning: Get to know the new Oregon Ducks head coach

Dan Lanning to leave Georgia to become Oregon head coach

Canzano: Oregon Ducks take a football gamble on the energy and enthusiasm of Dan Lanning

Sources: Oregon hiring Georgia defensive coordinator Dan Lanning

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    Phil Knight

"Oregon ran an exhaustive search with Phil Knight and Rob Mullens interviewing a slew of candidates that spanned the entire country."

Looks like Dan Lanning is Phil Knight's man. In case you were wondering who Rob Mullens is, he's the puppet of Phil Knight, errrrrrr I mean the Oregon Athletic Director...

Jhop's Take: Oregon Hires Dan Lanning - Strikes Gold

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  8. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

IDE
    This year seems like many teams are looking at DCs as their new head coaches and the void is being filled with former head coaches that used to be DCs. Looks like Ga. will hire boom to replace Oregon's new coach. Oregon will likely keep the carousel turning. It would be interesting if Briles or Patterson end up in the mix....

I am somewhat surprised by the depth of the recycling of coaches this year. Someone may want to scout innovative high school coaches.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Oregon correctly wanted to fix the defensive side of the ball. Unfortunately, IMHO they didn't do their homework. On the surface, their defense statistics are just about perfect but look under the curtain you find the bulk of their stats are against the $EC East (which is one of the worst divisions in the country) and the usual 2-3 cream puffs the $EC plays annually. . How many top 10 teams (plus a Tom Herman Texas Team) have Georgia beat during Lanning's tenure?

Lanning might be the answer, but Oregon was reaching.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:ou:(Sucks)

Brandon Hall (Troy DC) will join the Sooners staff, presumably as a defensive position coach.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:ou:(Still sucks)

Ted Roof will be the Sooners new DC.

Roof was most recently a D analyst/consultant for Clemson, and has previously served as a DC at a bunch of schools including Vanderbilt, Auburn, PennState, U Mass….

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

:oregon:
    Yeah, I was surprised with this one. I would’ve picked Chip Kelly (who may have been asked, but said no…???), Kalani Sitake, or Aranda. But I haven’t made billion$$$ off of third world sweatshop near-slavery conditions labor, so what do I know…

• Like Like x 1
  14. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

To me the interesting aspect here is the extent to which Knight, through Nike (?), can legally (?) funnel NIL money to players. It would seem that Oregon would lead the PACk (pun intended) in this respect but I am not aware that the Ducks are tearing it up on the recruiting trail so far this cycle.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He headcoached at Duke, no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here's a familiar name to Longhorns...

Over at Southern Millionaires University, the Ponies hired Craig Naivar as Special Teams Coach.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• poop poop x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Good man, longtime friend of Tom Herman, and who helped Herman get several coaching positions before Herman crapped on him trying to save his own hide.

19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Which person are you referring to?

20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Craig Naivar

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah. Naivar seemed like a pretty good guy, and a pretty good coach, for the short time we knew him on the 40. I wish him success at SMU.

22. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Hot Hot x 1
  23. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Gotta love Gundy. This bidding war stuff is absurd.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Are we thinking of replacing coach k with patterson?
    At this point I would like that.
    last season left a bad taste in my mouth

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Gundy reminds me of a friend of mine here in Austin (Cedar Park actually) who made an offer on a house. He told me they bid 20% over asking price and were not even in the top 5 of offers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

With every portal of a defensive player I only hear about what a cancer they were, how poorly they played, good riddance, etc.
    On recruiting threads I hear about how we need LBs because the ones we have are terrible.
    If only we had edge rushers. (Jacoby Jones went down in the OU game for the season)
    Blah, blah, blah.

And then I keep hearing what a lousy job Coach K did with these lousy players.
    If all the players were so bad and cancers to the team culturally, then how can you expect K to have some kind of outstanding defense.
    Especially being the first year with a new system.
    I hope Patterson comes in as an advisor.
    And if a change becomes necessary he will be there.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  29. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

But, Duke...nothing's happening to him.
    He feels nothing...its all everyone else.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

For me, I seen no improve in the defense during the season. So this is my concern. If the KU performance does not concern everyone, I dont know what will.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1