Coaching News and Rumors

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He had been a strong recruiter, which should have been the first clue that him being accused a racist should have been taken with extreme skepticism. His only mistake is that he recruited a bunch of prima Donna tools who collectively bit the hand that fed them.

2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Never heard him called a racist.
    Just heard he was an *******.

3. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

From who? Who laid the charge? The same folks who said the EOT was racist? If that doesn’t raise alarm bells, then I can’t help you. Do you think a racist or ******* can join a top 10 program like Oregon? Good grief, figure it out.

4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't know who the accuser was.
    If there was only one.
    Just the jist I got.
    And racist ******** have been hired as head coaches so, there's that.

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

His inability to coach WRs to do basic things taught at the Jr High level, such as run proper routes, get open, come back to the QB when in trouble, etc was enough to ditch him. Couple that with a near Mackovic-at-Arizona level of player respect, and he’s not a guy I’d like back on the 40.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't want him associated with our program, just using him as another example of a guy who helped Herman only to have Herman **** on him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

As far as racists or a$$holes being coaches:

1. Racists won’t work out here. No thanks.
    2. A$$holes—some great coaches were a$$holes, as were some great CEOs, military leaders, financiers/private equity guys (an industry that seems like a giant magnet to them), and lauded men from all sorts of endeavors. Not pleasant to be around, but the ones that are winners can really take your team/company places. You’ve got to earn player and peer respect. If you do that, but you’re really rough around the edges than so be it. See Woody Hayes, Frank Kush, Bobby Knight, and many more.

As for Mehringer, while it’s clear that some think he’s ok, that’s their opinion. Personally, I wouldn’t want him back here. That’s my opinion.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

No argument from me.

:beertoast:

9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That pretty much sums up my take on him too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

11. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Libby to Jr Weis is kinda like ditching your 650 HP Bentley for an old Nash Rambler

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

IIRC In Jan 2016, Aranda had a pretty good job with a $1.3M guaranteed three year contract when Herman went to Houston and still had a pretty good job when Herman came to Texas.

In 2018, Aranda had a pretty good job with a $2.5M guaranteed 4 year contract.

In fact, staying at LSU resulted in an undefeated championship in 2019 and eventually the HC job at Baylor with a Big12 Championship in 2021.

New HC contract agreed with private Baylor in Nov 2021.

Aranda has had some very good coaching mentors in his career and good advice along the way by Patrick Strong.

13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Aranda: could Baylor be his career destination? I think he could do a lot better, but maybe that's all he wants. See Patterson at TCU, Teaff at Baylor, Yeoman at UH (can of worms there...), etc.

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill,

We offered Aranda more money to come to Austin than he was making in Baton Rouge, with either a 3 or 4 year guarantee.

15. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

I agree that the competition for Aranda services drove his salary from $512K at Wisconsin to $2.5M two years later with a $10M four year guaranteed regardless of HC status.
    Aranda's decision to choose LSU over the Texas money offered resulted in undefeated season, CFP win and HC position with B12 Championship in two years at Baylor.
    Looks like the career choices made by Aranda have worked out well for him and his schools pretty well.
    Looking forward to watching Aranda vs Kiffin tomorrow night.
    Should be an entertaining match up.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Pecos
    Your hindsight is 20/20
    Facts and situations back there were quite different as i am sure you are aware.
    The chance to team up again with Herman at Texas coupled with the money at time should have been hard to resist. Why would he have turned that down.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Simply put the route to a CFP ring, HC position in major conference and B12 championship went thru Baton Rouge not Austin for Aranda.
    If you want hindsight 2020 view, most of my LSU contacts thought Herman and Aranda were a done deal at LSU before the Texas money offered Herman after the KS loss.

Maybe Aranda will write a book someday on why he choose LSU over Texas money.

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Again Pecos THAT is hindsight.
    So if your" LSU contacts " thought Herman/ Aranda a done deal at LSU Why wouldn't Herman/Aranda been an easily done deal at Texas with More money and longer guarantee?
    Maybe Aranda knew Herman was a disaster waiting.

• Like Like x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Bill,

6721 is right. Aranda had no clue that LSU would find the golden goose in a transfer QB. He did know that Orgeron was going to be fired if they didn't have a great season. I could buy the thought that some BMDs promised Aranda a shot at being HC in Baton Rouge, but that was far from being a done deal.

Aranda knew Herman better than any of us, including Mike. I questioned then why Aranda wasn't coming because we thought it was a package deal. What kind of person throws a friend that helped him upgrade his career 3, 4, 5 times under the bus? That was clue #2.

Face it, as we say in East Texas, Tom Herman "ain't our kinda people".

• Like Like x 3
  20. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Sabre, you answered the question yourself.
    Herman took the Texas money offer for the HC job. Aranda declined the Texas money offer for DC when the HC route at LSU was in hand.
    I'm only commenting on contracts signed not offers discussed.
    If you thought Herman and Aranda were a package deal then why accept only half the package?
    I think we can all agree LSU was a closer path to HC for Aranda than signing a 4 year deal at Texas facing the talent difference post Charlie.
    It certainly turned out that way.

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  22. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Aranda seems like a pretty wise dude to me

My 10 yr old even comments on/notices some aspects of this

23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

24. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

25. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

:ou: (SUCKS)

Todd Bates (Clemson DTs) will join Venables at OU where he will be co-DC and DTs coach. Bates is known as a good recruiter.

[​IMG]

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  26. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Matt Barnes (Ohio State secondary coach) will be joining Memphis as its new Defensive Coordinator. Barnes called plays last year for the Bucks, despite not being the DC. He previously handled Ohio States' special teams, and before that, he coached at Maryland. His reputation: smart and young.

[​IMG]

Ohio State football: Matt Barnes hired as Memphis defensive coordinator

[​IMG]

27. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Per Fonebaum—Caleb W OU QB looking for best offers $$$$-transfer portal

• poop poop x 2
  28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think his best place to display his skills for the next two years is in the weakened Big 12. I think he'll figure that out after he does the math on the difference between a #1 pick and a #10 pick.

29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

So yer sayin he may be transferring to Kansas State?

:beertoast:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

More :ou: (SUCKS)

Jay Valai (Alabama CBs, formerly one of our coaches) is expected to join the Sooners' staff as a CB coach. Valai has also coached short stints at Houston, Rutgers, and the Philadelphia Eagles (for about a week or two--at least an NFL team thought he was good enough to coach in the League).

This one is NOT a done deal just yet...

Oklahoma targeting Alabama assistant Jay Valai to be the next cornerbacks coach

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2022