Coaching News and Rumors

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Some (of the many) great coaches who were reportedly really tough on players—at least when they were doggin’ it:

Woody Hayes
    Mark Mangino
    Frank Kush
    Mike Leach
    Bobby Knight
    Gerald Meyers

Nothing they said or did to their players would have been out of place in a military boot camp. Millions of Americans have been through those.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Pickle_Nuts

Pickle_Nuts Will travel with tickets.

Roy Turner should be top of this list.

• Hot Hot x 1
  3. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Two of those coaches were pieces of ****. Haynes punched a player on the other team - an action that should have resulted in his assistants collecting his teeth off the turf after the player punched him back.

Bobby Knight threw a lamp at a secretary - an action that if that had been my mom or wife, I'd have shown up at his office, baseball bat in hand ready to settle the score.

Mangino was fired in 2009 when, after going 5-0 via an early, Baylor-esque type schedule, they collapsed and lost their last 7 games. His irate, screaming, belittling attitude towards players and university staff only carried him until they started losing, By then, everyone had had enough of him, and he was given the boot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duck,

Last paragraph sounds like stories I'm hearing from Mockingbird Lane

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Woody Hayes won 5 National Championships, is in the College Football Hall of Fame, and has the athletic center at aOSU named after him. A former United States President eulogized him at his funeral. One of the biggest winners in the history of the college game. Not a warm fuzzy sort of guy who sang Kum-by-ya and talked about his feelings a lot, but a big time winner and champion. And he is widely recognized as such by the game.

Bobby Knight was fired for pushing a student who said “Hey Knight” to him.

Of all of them, perhaps only Kush was over the line with his insane drills and workouts, etc. But his ex-players like Danny White, Curly Culp, and Reggie Jackson speak very highly of him.

6. Duck Dodgers

Hayes stayed too long and was fired in disgrace, don't care how many politicians tried to gravy train off him when he was dead. If you punch a player on the other team you're a piece of ****.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And then (taking one from the enemy’s camp), there was Bud Wilkinson of Oklahoma—inventor of the famous, and rather vicious, “Oklahoma Drill” used in football practices. I ran that drill many, many times in high school and jr high football, and I bet most of you who played anywhere in Texas did also.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

5 National Championships and an honored legacy.
    Inducted into the hall of fame well after that one incident.

I don’t judge him.
    Then again, my standards of judging people are very, very lax. That’s the way I want to be judged.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Are you sayin Coach Lashlee doesn’t read his players bedtime stories, or something…?

DDD

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

Regardless of record, Hayes was a worthless piece of ****, which is much nicer than what DKR had to say about him.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Duck Dodgers

3 real (AP or UP NC's). The other two were via questionable outfits, like how Alabama claims 42 National Championships, 27 via the Tuscaloosa Green Sheet's final rankings.

12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t remember us playing Ohio State until the Mack Brown era.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never said nor did I infer that we had ever played Ohio State. I said DKR had a strong opinion about Hayes and the way he did things, particularly hiding players in juco and outright buying players.

DKR had some pretty strong feelings about other coaches, some of those feelings were deserved, some not so much. We had an understanding that he hated some coaches that I admired, and I detested some that were his friends. Didn't keep us from being friends or me admiring Coach Royal. We just avoided those people in our conversations.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Being a good coach and being a piece of **** are not mutually exclusive...in fact, the latter is often overlooked if the former is present...or at least this was the case in the days prior to social media.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Shaw out at Stanford. Not too surprising. Could it be a landing spot for Tommy Boy?? Back to CA and a culture that might appreciate him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I know that we all think that the Bay Area is full of freaks and weirdos, but Stanford has gone off the deep end.

Kid whose family is all Stanford and gives eight to nine figures a year has a graduating senior. High SAT, top 5 in his class, full rides to UCLA, Harvard, Wharton, among others. Stanford waitlisted the kid. That would be like Texas rejecting Boone Pickens grandkid after he gave us the $500 million. Anybody know who the moron is in Palo Alto that they hired from Austin.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think Stanford would want Tom Herman, but who knows. :idk:

I think one of the “lesser” PAC schools might take a chance on him, and get a real bargain, when a position opens up. Someone like Arizona, Oregon State, Wash State, and especially Colorado.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hell, Arizona took Mackovic; granted it ended the AD's career, but they aid him.

I think Herman would fit well with the eggheads now running The Farm

19. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 1
  20. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

21. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

23. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 2
  25. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

GJ Kinne to Southwest Texas State?

27. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hopefully Stanford will get Herman off our payroll.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Agree 1000% with Sabre...Hayes was a POS. He (Sabre) fully explained why except he left out the part about Woody attacking a camera man on the sidelines 'cause tosu was losing. I was surprised NOTHING was said in the media/ncaa/nowhere.

Re Gerald Meyers: he was an above average coach in the SWC which was a pretty terrible bball conference. SWC rarely got more than 1 team in The Tournament. He won 2 conference championships & 3 Tourney wins in 20 yrs. As mediocre as he was as a coach, he was a HORRIBLE athletics manager. At a time when he was the Compliance Manager, he failed to read the Compliance Manuel & got FB, BB, WBB, Baseball & track on probation. As AD he fired a very good HC, James Dickey, who saw Tceh thru the Meyers probation and brought in his friend, POS Bobby Kinght who rewarded Tceh by quitting in the middle of the season to set his son, Patrick (a pretty decent human being despite his father, but a terrible HC) up for the job. I lived in Lubbuttock 18 yrs. People I know who knew Meyers well tell me he is slightly more intelligent than the stool he sits on.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2022
  29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Chop, from a football standpoint one could argue that Stanford has been a “lesser” school for a while.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts