Coffee Bean Grinder Espresso Machine

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Macanudo, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

Can anyone recommend a decent (and cheap) one for the home?

2. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

I got a little Braun coffee grinder for about $20. I can't imagine it ever breaking.

3. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

How often do you use it?

4. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

We have the little Braun too. It's been used daily for the last five years or so.
    [​IMG]

5. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

Mr Coffee grinder is the same thing and is cheaper. Had mine for several years and no problems.

6. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

Get a burr grinder. Mine is a DeLonghini (sp?). They don't cost but maybe a few dollars more than a blade grinder, but you'll get a surprisingly better brew.

7. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

I have an Italian Express, made in Italy no less. had it for over ten years. it rules.

8. 96 Buff

96 Buff 100+ Posts

I've had my Mr. Coffee grinder for almost 12 years and it has been used nearly every day since I got it. Do you drink just drip coffee or do you need the ability to grind it fine enough for espresso?

9. HookEm

HookEm 100+ Posts

I have a Braun. Used it many times over about 8 years (wedding present).

10. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I repeat, DO NOT USE A BLADE GRINDER. That is, unless you like substandard coffee. You can get a Black & Decker burr mill for $25 at Target, for pity's sake. The cooking.com website has a Melitta model for $20.

Blade grinders "cut" the beans, as opposed to actually grinding the beans. It does make a difference -- a big difference.

11. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

as some of the other coffee gurus here have said DO NOT GET A BLADE GRINDER. especially if you are using a french press. spend the extra bucks and get a burr grinder.

hey, let me know if you want some of my contraband blend (hehehe)

12. SuperHero

SuperHero 500+ Posts

My coffee is always ground fine enough to make espresso. Any less, and I wouldn't be extracting all the flavor out of it. For me, the blade grinder in the pic works great. I use my about once a week - enough to fill a tin for the entire week's brew.

13. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the burr grinder advice, I'll have to pick one up. Our blade grinder was a wedding gift, but I'm always up for better coffee.

14. ths71

ths71 100+ Posts

Damn Coffee Snobs.[​IMG]

15. The Dog

The Dog 250+ Posts

you could just dump a bag of beans into a food processor instead of using a wimpy grinder. never tried it, but I'm sure it would bust up those beans real good. [​IMG]

16. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

17. hornimal

hornimal 500+ Posts

dude, get a french press stat! you don't do good beans justice by using anything but.

18. Not that Bob

Not that Bob 500+ Posts

If you decide to go the French press route you can save all the money you would spend on equipment. Just pop the roasted beans into your mouth, chew, and swallow. You will get the same flavor and texture as French press without all the hassle. [​IMG]

Melita cone, the only way to go.

19. Macanudo

Macanudo 2,500+ Posts

So who makes a good espresso machine for making lattes?

20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Necro bump here. Ordered this duo package and got them today. Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine and Smart Grinder. Maiden espresso was very tasty.

IMG_1453.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

hic Nice
    I think that officially qualifies you as a Barista.
    Now your delays at airports can be productive.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

So one side of your BBQ Joint will now be a coffee house. That ought to make for a very diverse crowd!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Actually the acid in the espresso does a good job of cleansing the grease out of your mouth.

• Funny Funny x 1
  24. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Very unintentional, I meant to like it so I just changed it. :smile1:

• Like Like x 1