College World Series Thread

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by FWHORN, Jun 15, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Also he was tested daily all week because he was known to have been possibly exposed on Monday or Tuesday of that week. It wasn’t until he tested Sat morning did the virus replicate enough to be detected (the results weren’t known until late Sat afternoon). All week he had been isolated in the club house just in case. If asked I bet he would have slept in the middle of fairway in his clothes and played the next day alone to win the >$1m payday.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

To go a bit further...not only did they let him play the entire round after having taken the test that morning, Rahm had two prior negative tests and then, after having a few days of quarantine, is asymptomatic and again has two more negative tests. In other words, getting Jon Rahm'ed is the 'rona version of being screwed on testing...

I fully suspect that the NC State kids are all fine.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

NC State is only down 2-1 in the 6th. If they manage to beat Vandy, Disney will have this movie out next weekend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

They would need some players to come back next Tuesday and Wed at least. Could be possible given good immune systems and they may have been partially vaccinated.

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

But they'll change the heroic underdog team to Notre Dame.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well then. Unless NC State comes back now or tomorrow, there will be an asterisk by the winner of this year's CWS. A big asterisk...

:rolleyes1: :argue: :smh: :tap:

8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I have to give the 'pack credit for the way they played today...and it looks like they have an additional hitter they were not aware of...although he did get punched out looking with bases loaded.

3-1 going to bottom of the 9th. Not bad for a team with barely enough players to play!

9. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Anyone know the Texas game time?

10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, a letter from a licensed physician that a player is healthy, not contagious, and good to go should trump an arbitrary NCAA rule on the same topic.

:soapbox: :tap:

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  12. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

How is this allowed? This is the worst thing I’ve seen in sports. Has there been any college baseball kid that had Covid ever been hospitalized or die?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

NCAA

No
    Common sense
    Arrogant
    Arseholes

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

Did NC State have a significant number of unvaccinated players?

15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Can’t NC State do some sort of emergency appeal, ask for an exception, or something? This is ridiculous. It’s a stain on the sport.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

I can not imagine the disappointment for the NC State baseball program. My heart goes out to those kids.

• Agree Agree x 7
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I just spoke with Conspiratorial Chop.

He says: They want an SEC champion and they’ll rig the games any way they can to make sure that happens.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. It was horrible to watch this disaster. If they are not sick what is the point. And then the third base ump takes a great hit away in the early innings. Just awful.

19. LonghornDave

Apparently, or the vaccine doesn't work. or they have false positives.

20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Baseball is an outdoor sport with little close contact with the opponent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

A few thoughts:

1) Do we know if the players contracted COVID or not?
    2) Do we know if they refused to get vaccines?
    3) I don't believe it's a conspiracy to crown an SEC champion.
    4) When the manager said he didn't want to talk politics, was he talking about the NCAA or that to get a vaccine or not is political in general?

Without information we can only speculate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. LonghornDave

Should we move this Post to the West Mall?

23. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Possibly. I can see that. It is sports but it's also COVID.

If the decision was made by the players not to get vaccinated then they made a decision for the rest of their lives and not for the glory of victory. It's their life. Unfortunately, the COVID vaccine decision carries much weight.

24. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I agree. I think this is just another glaring example of the NCAA's incompetence.

On ESPN the banner just kept saying a virus kept players from playing. The word covid was nowhere. The announcers said there was a cold going around the team and they all tested positive. How on Earth could that many players test positive for covid on the same day vaccinated or not? Again just another example of the NCAA's incompetence and their inability to think through problems and situations to make a good decision. They just kicked them out.

25. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

[​IMG]

26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Here's a famous one:

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I don’t think it’s a conspiracy either—just a very dumb application of an even dumber written rule, without the use of common sense, and without consideration of the gravity of the moment.

But Conspiratorial Chop—he says it’s a conspiracy to crown an SEC champ. NC State stood in the way of the nefarious goals of the powers-that-be and was the Cinderella of this year’s postseason.
    :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

If NC State wants to split off from the NCAA and start something different, I bet they’d have plenty of company. Just sayin…

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

And NC State—an also ran at the start of the postseason—was fun to watch, and gave those who naturally favor underdogs a team to follow. They were robbed of their chance.

ROBBED.
    :ncstate:

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I just hope it was a true outbreak of COVID (weird to say that; obviously we want everyone to be healthy and live a long life) and not some bureaucratic fear. Vanderbilt CLEARLY has a huge advantage now as the CWS is a war of attrition and takes a full team to win it all. They have two top ten pitchers in the upcoming draft and it's not a true indication of the team's depth. They deserve what they've done to date but to give those two horses rest when the other teams cannot do the same is definitely an asterisk in the making.

• Hot Hot x 1
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2021
  30. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

Apparently. According to the ESPN article, fully vaccinated aren't being tested.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports...k-vaccine-politics-amid-team-covid-issues-cws

• Hot Hot x 1