Colombia Free Trade Agreement

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by SomeMildLanguage, Apr 11, 2008.

1. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

So Pelosi put the Free Trade Agreement with Colombia into a coma this week by eliminating the fast track rules on trade (which required action from Congress within 90 days after the President presents a trade deal for approval). Not that anyone should ever trust Nancy Pelosi, but she did emphatically say just a couple of days ago that she would honor the fast track rules. Technically, our agreement with Colombia is not entirely dead, but effectively, it is.

What's even more bizarre about killing this deal is that more than 90% of Colombian goods coming into the US are already tariff-free, while most American goods going into Colombia are subject to 35% tariffs.

Some comments from Pelosi's hometown paper on the absurdity of this whole thing:The Link

The Washington Post says this is tantamount to telling Colombia to drop dead:The Link

This is just incredibly harmful to America's image and standing in the world. It's like taking a sledgehammer to America's already fragile diplomatic efforts in Latin America and elsewhere.

2. Kwisatz

Kwisatz 500+ Posts

3. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

One of my housemates in DC worked for DOC. He was a verifier (the actual job title escapes me), flying to different international locales to attempt to verify export quota numbers for certain goods from certain countiries, subject to treaties and/or special law.

With Columbia, it was flowers. They are one of the world's great flower exporters. So great that they held the power to flood any market with cheap flowers and drive the indigenous US growers out of business. So there were (and still are I believe) quota limits on Columbian exporters and he would go there to count flowers (I simplify somewhat).

He didnt mind as he got extra hazardous pay. He also said the landing approach into Bogota was unbeleivable. Flowers growing everywhere.

5. Fat Crazy Hippie

Fat Crazy Hippie 250+ Posts

[​IMG]

Colombia wants it because the so called 0 percent tariffs are not permanent, they are voted and renewed every few years in order to "fight" drugs, so Uribe better stop being a narcoprez, or that will go away as well [​IMG]

6. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Most Colombian goods come into the US inside a balloon in someone's large intestine. This agreement ain't gonna change that one way or the other. If we want to help Colombia, lets send the army down there and shut down FARC once and for all.

7. Fat Crazy Hippie

8. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

9. Fat Crazy Hippie

Hate to break it to you, but Vietnam kinda proved that if your advisors, training and equipment will not beat an insurgency, sending the whole army to the jungle never will.

Nowadays even deserts are not easy, geez.

10. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Easy enough to burn the crop.

At least to the point where there's not much to export

11. Fat Crazy Hippie

Burning the crop with soldiers is by far the most inefficient waste of resources yet, even something the Colombian army (with low paid worker/soldiers and size) could do, they don't

They spray glyphosate from the air.

Again the US army is pretty much knee deep in Colombia, providing intelligence, training, satellite images, etc. And Cocaine is cheaper today than 10 years ago.

12. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

13. FondrenRoad

FondrenRoad 1,000+ Posts

Fair enough.

Just a question. Do you support the FARC's cause, FCH?

14. uberheadymagical

uberheadymagical 250+ Posts

How bout let's end the war on drugs and take it from there.

15. Fat Crazy Hippie

16. breakfast_taco

breakfast_taco 100+ Posts

17. Fat Crazy Hippie

And here I thought empirical evidence of the Iraq war showed a nosediving of global public opinion... nope it was betraying Saddam in 91 that did it! Silly me.

18. SomeMildLanguage

SomeMildLanguage 500+ Posts

The Link