Colorado Summer Resort?

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Horny Ringman, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

Going to be in Denver for a sales conference this July. Planning on heading West out of Denver for 4 or 5 days. 3 hours max out of Denver. 2 couples with kids 10 and 12 and 5 and 8. Want a Mountain resort with easy access to hiking, probably a river raft trip, etc. main thing is something to keep the kids entertained while the adults drink and relax. Would love a secluded resort, but that may not exist and still be close to restaurants. Any suggestions.

2. Basketball Jones

Basketball Jones 500+ Posts

WIthin your 3-hour drive time frame: Breckenridge and Steamboat. We've stayed at both in the summer. Both meet your specifications (including rafting access). Steamboat is a little more remote, but Breck is prettier, and there are places that do a combination day-long ziplining then rafting trip. Plenty of hiking, mountain biking, etc. lots of restaurants at both places. Breck also has a mountainside park with a alpine slide and a separate alpine coaster, plus other activities for the kids. Breck is also cooler in the summer -- Steamboat is actually a little warm in the summer.
    Aspen is also great (lots to do, beautiful and tons of restaurants), but further out (may 3 1/2 hours from Denver or so). Vail is within the drive time, and it's a nice place, but I've always thought it was a bit strange with the prime part being, literally, right on the interstate. If you stay at Breck, easy to drive down and check out Vail.

3. Horny Ringman

Horny Ringman 250+ Posts

How about beaver creek? Looks like it is not right on interstate, although not too far off. The park Hyatt there catches my eye with my Hyatt points.

4. Basketball Jones

That is the one major place we haven't been. Been to Telluride, Durango, and the places mentioned yesterday. Had some friends who went skiing there and really liked it.

5. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

I'll throw my vote in for Breck...lived there for a year. There is plenty to do for every age kid...and for adults, lots of hiking..easy access, you can book float trips, though you'll be shuttled or have to drive to the river.

I'm going back at the end of July as well. It will be a good break for the heat.

6. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I am going to Breckenridge this July for 8 days. Although I have made numerous trips to Colorado, I have never been to Breckenridge. It sounds great and I am looking forward to the trip. Lots of good hiking. Condos that are reasonably priced. Good location for day trips, Aspen (2 hours) and the west side of Rocky Mountain National Park (1 and 1/2 hours ) .I was in Rocky Mountain National Park last summer and saw lots of moose on the west side. Buena Vista is close for Arkansas river rafting.

Here is a link for things to do:
    The Link

Here is a link that gives great hiking trail descriptions
    The Link

7. Basketball Jones

Spent 8 days in Breck last summer. Spending 9 days in Telluride this summer (just can't get enough of Telluride).

8. salonghorn-70

Thinking of Telluride next summer. Where are you staying?
    Enough to do for 8 days?

9. Basketball Jones

Clearly there's more to do there in the winter -- been skiing there 3 times (stayed in condos in Mountain Village). Stayed there in the summer once (three years ago) in a house we rented in Mountain VIllage. Staying this summer in a condo in Mountain Village.
    Things to do in the summer -- day trip to Moab (Arches National Park -- cool place). You could also day trip to Mesa Verde National Park -- cool indian ruins. In Telluride, there is a really good ATV trip that takes you over the top of the range and then back down to Telluride from the back side (where the waterfall is) on the old mining roads. Mounatin biking. Golf. No really close whitewater rafting. There is definitely less to do than Breckenridge, Aspen or Steamboat in the summer, but there's plenty to keep busy. And, bar none, it is the prettiest place in Colorado.

10. salonghorn-70

Did you see much wild life around Breck? If so where?
    How about Telluride?
    Last summer I got really spoiled in Rocky Mountain National Park. Elk all over on the east side and lots of moose on the west side.

11. Texclerk

Texclerk 100+ Posts

YMCA Rockies in Estes Park. Great for all ages, kids can run off and do all kinds of things, pre planned activities for everyone interested in just about anything, good little town, etc. I have been to all those mentioned, and would head back to Estes Park any day.

12. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I'm throwing my hat into this thread.

Planning a visit to see my grandmother in Denver, and am considering a 2 or 3 night side trip up to Breck/Copper/Vail, overall Summit area in August. A few questions:

Been to each during wintertime, but wondering about access to any decent stream fly fishing for each of these areas? My parents are going to meet us in the mountains, and thought I'd plan a day fishing trip with my father.

Also, if anyone here has a rental property in any of these areas (or nearby), please let me know. I'd rather hand $ over to one of you Hornfan strangers instead of a stranger from a VBRO site.

Will have a 1.5 year old with us, so we're somewhat limited on what we can do while up there, so I'm aiming more at simply getting away from the Dallas dog day summer and relaxing with good scenery and some good microbrews before we head in to Denver.

13. salonghorn-70

The Link

dalhorn1, not a fisherman myself, but I ran across this while researching my trip to Breck in July.

14. skipperj

skipperj 100+ Posts

Grand Lake is awesome. Go sailing, hike, go through Rocky Mountain Ntaional Park to Estes Park. Moose.