Complete primer on Austin Tex-Mex

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by orngbld, Mar 14, 2001.

1. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

My post won't be the complete primer, but hopefully the follow-ups will make it so.

First rate:

-- Angie's (homemade corn tortillas, great enchiladas, great tacos de carnitas)
    -- Dario's (great cheap cheese enchilada plate -- a classic, no-frills operation)
    -- El Azteca (barbacoa is excellent, cabrito is okay (but at least they have it), chicken mole enchiladas)
    -- La Michoacan (a market with a cafeteria type kitchen -- more authentic mex, and you really need to speak Spanish to order correctly -- but man, it's the real deal)
    -- Maudie's (can't speak for anything but the enchiladas, but they definitely rate)
    -- Curra's (one of my wife's favorites. Not REALLY Tex mex, BUT -- they have authentic juevos con machacado -- a northern mexican favorite, and something I grew up on. The first time I had them, I almost cried)

Good (but not the very best):

-- Nuevo Leon (just went to the new location today for the first time -- good enchiladas, pretty reliable, but never knocked my socks off)
    -- Margaritas (my neighborhood mexican joint -- reliable, consistent. Not outstanding, but solid cheese enchiladas, and the best damn praline I've ever had)
    -- Chuy's (Chuychanga is a solid choice, fun atmosphere, although I'm a bit old for the scene. Chuy's has both a better and a worse reputation than it deserves)
    -- El Gallo (see my comments for Dario's -- I just haven't been to El Gallo enough to comfortably rate it as top-notch)

Mediocre:

-- Matt's El Rancho (acceptable fare, but not nearly as good as the hype)
    -- El Patio (same -- I think people favor El Patio for nostalgic reasons)
    -- Serrano's (they get credit for good, simple, mesquite grilled fajitas (in a genuine nod to the fajita's south Texas roots), but everything else is average, and I am wary of chains)
    -- El Mercado (maybe I should move it up a notch, but for some reason can't bring myself to do so. They do have a good chicken tampiquena, and their new citrus chicken tacos are great. Still, when compared to other joints, they just don't stand out)
    -- Guero's (I know, some will call me a blasphemer. And I will give credit for excellent tacos al pastor (one of the only places in town to serve them). Chicken tacos are also good. Everything else is average. Tamales are doughy.)
    -- Rosie's Tamale house (everything is fine, but nothing stands out. Tamales are good, but not exceptional. Too many other places do what they do better)
    -- Trudy's (I just don't get Trudy's. The food is adequate. The wait is 2 hours. I don't get it at all. I know some of you love this place -- I'd love to hear why)

While I'd like to think that my knowledge is complete, it isn't. I have yet to go to Enchiladas y Mas, or to the Dart Bowl for enchiladas (my wife has been to both -- Enchiladas y Mas was fine, but not the best she's ever had, Dart Bowl had top-notch enchiladas).

Corrections, additions?

orngbld

"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand." -- Cool Hand Luke

2. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Evita's Botanitas....better bring a fire extinguisher for your mouth.

.....>< )))' >

3. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

I second Evita's and add

Salsita's Lamar at 2222, next to the Asian grocery

4. Mack Tripper

Mack Tripper 500+ Posts

Angie's also has the best lemonade in the world.

El Sol y La Luna on S. Congress is very good, imo.

Enchiladas y Mas is pretty good too.

I also like Chumikal's on E. 7th(?).

"Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane."--Red

5. longhrnfan

longhrnfan 500+ Posts

Las menitas on congress has THE BEST breakfast.

"I smell roses."
    to chat AIM longhrnfan

6. Dex

Dex 25+ Posts

Chuy's sucks hind tit in terms of food quality.

I'll give you atmosphere.

But even mass produced Matt's blows away the food at Chuy's.

The little experiment in polynesian food at the HUT also sucks. But the atmosphere is top notch.

7. Perry's Wife

Perry's Wife < 25 Posts

orngbld, are you by chance from El Paso? This machacado of which you speak, it that the same as something that I thought was called "machaca"? Basically shredded beef with spices & cheese? I may have the term wrong, it's been a while since I was in El Paso. A dive called Lucy's, next to the King's X bar, on Mesa, I believe, not far from the UTEP, served it, and it was outstanding. I saw it on the menu of several other places in El Paso but have never seen it anywhere else. I haven't been to Curra's but I've been meaning to try it.

I agree that Chuy's has both a better and worse reputation than it deserves. The Chuy's Special is very good, imho. Fajitas aren't bad, either.

Matt's El Rancho is a damned embarassment, as far as I'm concerned. I shudder to think of all the one time and first time visitors who don't know any better and are sent there by the travel guides and conceirges.

I know it's a chain and it's overhyped and crowded and touristy and all the rest, but I've had some excellent enchiladas at Papacitta's. I'll give credit where credit is due.

El Azteca is also one of my all time favorites. I don't get over there nearly enough.

"Don't you hate Perry's wife?"

8. orngbld

orngbld 100+ Posts

I'm not from El Paso (but my dad's from EP -- Eagle Pass, that is). The machacado I refer to is huevos con machacado -- eggs, shredded beef, onion. Makes a great breakfast taco.

Pappasito's -- I never go there, because I am not willing to wait for 9 hours for a table. I went once and got the cabrito. It was a HUGE serving, but it was almost inedible. It was served on a "sizzling" metal plate. The plate was upwards of 500 degrees. It burned me from a couple of inches away. The meat was served with a little dish of drawn butter (I have no idea why) which sat on the metal plate. It was so hot that it cooked off while I was sitting there, sending painfully hot butter spattering all over the table. 20 minutes later, when things had cooled down enough to eat, the cabrito was okay -- but not worth the hell I waded through to get it.

Used to be an offshoot of Jalisco called Plaza Jalisco up at 183 and Burnet -- they had GREAT cabrito, and great carnitas. They closed, and Jalisco just isn't as good.

Another restaurant -- El Patio -- I've only been there a couple of times. It's okay, but am I missing something?

orngbld

"Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand." -- Cool Hand Luke

9. TexasWolf

TexasWolf 25+ Posts

Aus-Tex(26th&I-35) is Jorge Arredondo's place. The enchiladas are top notch. The migas have NO rival! Great place to hit before and after any TEXAS sporting event. The back patio is a great place in the afternoon to down cold ones and check out the HORNS football practice. "There ain't No taco like a crispy one!"

10. lnester

lnester 25+ Posts

Preface: I'm from Del Rio, right on the Mexican border, so I'm used to really good Tex-mex. In my opinion, it isn't to be found in Austin.

Given that, the best Mexican style food is at Trudy's. The reason? They've got GREAT New Mexican green chile and red chile sauces. Authentic stuff. The closest to New Mexico chile you're gonna find in these parts.

Other than that, they all taste the same (Matt's, El Patio, etc.)

11. SystemHorn

SystemHorn < 25 Posts

I'm in love with Trudy's. I've lived in Austin nearly five years, and I've always been within walking distance of the place. The salsas are great, the food is of excellent quality, and the margaritas are my favorite in town. They also have a good selection of beer. My girlfriend is from Monterrey, MX, and it's her favorite place to go when in town. The chipotle sauce has a great flavor and it's hot enough to make her fan herself.

Polvo's is another favorite of mine. All their shrimp dishes are great, and they're always rotating reliably good specials. Their salsas aren't amazing, but they do have a varied selection of pretty good ones.

I have to second the Curra's nomination. Great breakfast fare, and the entrees show a lot of imagination.

Maudie's doesn't stand out in any way; it's just cheap and good. When I think of Maudie's, I think of Austin's soul food.

I know we're talking Tex-Mex here, but El Borrego de Oro serves up some great authentic stuff. The cabrito is served in a very rich red chile sauce, and I would recommend it over anything else they have. I'm practically always the only white person in there.

&#60;P&#62;

12. wapa

wapa First Time Poster

I can't believe I didn't see any mention of Cisco's. Simply the best migas in town. The ditch has plenty of ladies to look at but the food is average. It's hard to find a better, stronger rita than Nuevo Leon. Their food tates pretty damn good after 2-3 of those babies. also an abundance of young ladies. Jaime's. I hear Juan in a million makes a mean breakfest taco. And last but certainly not least, the very best mexican food in town, hell, the very best food in town in my opinion, Fonda San Miguel. Not exactly tex mex and certainly a lot pricier than the others, but worth every penny.

13. MATTerHORN69

MATTerHORN69 100+ Posts

Great lists! Let me throw a twist - I am vegetarian. Most Mexican food and Tex-Mex are not very sensitive to strict vegetarian dietary practices, so my choices tend to be limited.
    I have found El Mercado, specifically the one on South 1st, to have the largest selection of truly vegetarian items. No chicken broth in the rice, no lard in the beans, etc.

Do any of you know of any other good vegetarian Mexican or Tex-Mex restaurants from the lists above?

Please help slow the overpopulation of aggies and sooners - spay or neuter one TODAY!!!

14. Kuru

Kuru 25+ Posts

matt:
    i've dated several non-carnivores and they all seem to like curra's.

15. elideuce

elideuce < 25 Posts

there was a roach on my plate once at Jorge's, and their plates are a billion degrees.
    the iguana grill has much better food than the oasis, if it's the view your after.
    maudie's is great, i.e. cheap and good and special.
    there's too much cilantro everywhere.

16. TexasWolf

TexasWolf 25+ Posts

elideuce, I know roaches can withstand radiation, but a plate that is a billion degrees

17. Wrangler

Wrangler 25+ Posts

Everyone that likes enchiladas must go to Dart Bowl. Get bread instead of crackers.

Jovitas is good too.

Taco Express is fun dive-type place.

Jamies is good.

I'm afraid if I go to Chuy's and I do something wrong they will call SWAT.

18. TEXAS1026

TEXAS1026 100+ Posts

if you are gonna eat tex-mex on south lamar then go to La Feria....they are cheaper and better than Matt's

19. BongoHorn

BongoHorn 25+ Posts

Hey, elideuce, the next time you are at Jorge's, don't order the cucurachacha plato.

20. scorpio

scorpio < 25 Posts

MAUDIES - LAKE AUSTIN : My favorite...

Order the No. 5 "Josie style". Its not really listed but they know what you're talkin' about.
    Enchilda plate beef or cheese, smothered with their great velveetaish cheese and chile con carne sauces then topped with chopped onions.

Tastes Great. Very Filling. and Very Bad for the Atkins Dieters.

Hook'em.

21. TTUEX

TTUEX 25+ Posts

OMG.. the flat lander knows one.

Pato's Good Tacos - 37 1/2 street. Great place to grab an afternoon lunch and watch the customers, kind of a strange mix in that place. Good food, good beer, great Queso. Plus it's dive'y and CHEAP.

22. CapitalistPig

CapitalistPig < 25 Posts

No mention of Arranda's???

23. K-Man

K-Man 250+ Posts

Matterhorn,

Mr. Natural is pretty cool for good vegetarian Tex-Max

24. Texas Horn

Texas Horn 250+ Posts

Inester, I've spent plenty of time on the border, had some really good food, but border food lacks the flavor of true Tex-Mex. Border food is more Mex than Tex-Mex.

Dario's is my all-time favorite. Angie's is great.

25. Horn_of_Plenty

Horn_of_Plenty < 25 Posts

I can't believe that somebody said that Austin does not have good Tex/Mex. My job is to fly around the US, go to meetings and often entertain clients. I have eaten in the "best" Mexican or Tex/Mex restaraunts in most major US cities. And I live in NY and many of my friends are "foodies" if you know what I mean.

I can promise you that Austin has fantastic Tex/Mex. Great ingredients, great chefs who know how to cook tex/mex and a public that loves (and pays for) it combine to create perhaps the greatest city for tex/mex in the world (at least per capita).

And anyone that thinks that Valley food is better, they must have a different perspective than me. I spent 2 days in Macallan (sp?) with my friend who is a teacher (he is mexican and a friggen mexaholic when it comes to food) and went to all the "best" places. These places were not in the same class as the Austin food joints. First, there was no quality control. We asked for cheese once or twice and got sliced cheese. And the ingredients were often not fresh. Second, the service was horrible. Cold food, food without the appropriate sauce (I hate running out of hot sauce) and food without a drink ruins the meal until fixed. Finally, there was no creativity. Most dishes were pretty similar from place to place. I think William Burroughs described the Valley as a place with no good restaraunts for a few hundred miles (its been a while). He may have gone a little too far, but I know what he means.

Tex/mex is a different cuisine than Mexican food. It was invented in Texas. There is nothing like it in the world. I prefer it to Mexican food. It is wonderful.

Pretty good thread.

26. Fat_Bastard

Fat_Bastard 25+ Posts

WHAT!!!! No mention of Taco Bell. Have any of you so-called Mexican Food Connoisseurs ever had their Frito Burrito? I think not. That **** is allsome. [​IMG]

On a serious note, I don't understand how some of you people constantly **** on Pappasito's as a good Tex-Mex place. I'm from Houston, so I guess you can consider me a homer, but I for one have never had fajitas ANYWHERE that even come close to Pappasito's. Their barbecued shrimp dish, Shrimp Diablo, I think, is probably the best thing on their menu.

Most of you people who dog Pappasito's, love these so-called ******** Austin institutions that get written up every week by the Health Department. I don't understand it. Austin does have some excellent Tex-Mex and Mexican food venues, but I personally don't think any argument regarding this matter can exclude the mention of Pappasito's. Just because it's a chain doesn't mean it sucks. Quite the contrary, enough people believe the food there to be very good, thus providing good business to the restaurants, allowing further expansion.

27. afat

afat 250+ Posts

Juan and a Million has a kick butt breakfast.

28. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

Perry's Wife,

I am from El Paso, and I love Lucy's. Machacado is basically Machaca (dry shredeed beef) with egg, onions, tomatos, etc.

Fonda San Miguel in Austin actually has very authentic food, as well as great atmosphere, and is actually much like restaurants in Mexico City.

Although I would prefer to eat at Las Manitas and Maudies anyday.

29. Dead Horse

Dead Horse 250+ Posts

I am a Tex-Mex connisuer myself. I live in Austin and I think that you have to know what to order at each restaurant in order to get the full effect.
    For example: Enchiladas Y Mas you have to get the chicken fajitas or the Enchiladas Rojas w/ lettuce and tomato.

But in all sincerity, the best 2 tex-mex places I have ever eaten are 1) Lupes Tortillas in Houston and 2) Herberts Taco Hut in San Marcos.

Hands down winners.......

30. PabTexas

PabTexas 250+ Posts

They need to open up a Taco Tote in Austin...
    For any of your border people, you know what I am talking about.