conference expansions? playoffs? leadership?

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by THEYESOFTXS, Apr 21, 2010.

1. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

I am wondering why the NCAA does nothing at least publicly to address these conference relaignments, playoffs, etc...

The issues are clearly intertwined and superimposed over the money grab for more bowl dollars / more tv dollars / more markting dollars, etc...

I am just wondering why the NCAA is silent on this stuff. This is a real time of transition in lots of ways:

1. The NCAA made $710,000,000 last year and their product is in jeopardy;
    2. Some schools are putting themselves in bad financial spots to try and get NCAA dollars by overspedning on stadiums, contracts, etc..;
    3. The squeezing out of the smaller schools of the title game is bad, bad, bad for competition and the integrity of the sport;
    4. The bowl season is becoming irrelevent - no playoffs, too many bad teams in worthless games is dilluting the product;
    5. This crazy scramble for more teams is upsetting the natural rivalries of games the fans want to see... or at least in the future might have that effect;
    6. Is anyone thinking what will happen if the Big 10 goes to 16 teams? It might be the first step to essentially a new league... where you would have four mega conferences of 16 teams and only 64 teams with a realistic shot at playing for the title...

I am just wondering why this all seems to be left up to the School presidents and league commissioners? Is the NCAA asleep a the wheel? There does not seem to be a coherent plan for the future of my favorite sport.

2. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

"Follow the Money".
    Mark Felt 1973