Conflicted at a Visceral Level

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Nov 7, 2020.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Other than my family, nothing in my life has been more significant than Texas Football. Some in my family would argue that it’s not true, and that they would take a back seat to the Longhorns.

I take no joy in what I am about to say as the conflict I am dealing with is almost overpowering.

At a visceral level, I am pulling against Texas. I love Sam. I’m thrilled when Bijan makes a breakout run, or when Ossai dominates. But I cannot deny the obvious: I was not pulling for Texas today, and the win last week was a huge disappointment.

Some may choose to contend that I am not a true Texas fan. That would be a misread. I could run down the list of historic games I have had the great fortune of attending, in Lincoln, South Bend, Fayetteville, San Diego, Lubbock, Stillwater, Columbus, Dallas, Honolulu, Phoenix, Pasadena (three times) and of course Austin.

It’s simple, yet painful. Forget that he has underachieved in almost every aspect of the job, for me the issue is that this coach has destroyed the essence of Texas Football. He did so when he threw me — and I believe the entire Longhorn Nation — under the bus in the summer. I can’t get past that and I doubt that I ever will.

I believe Tom Herman to be a cancer for our program and it is for that reason that again, at a visceral level — that is uncontrollable, I find myself pulling against the very team that has given me more pleasure in my 65 plus years on this earth than almost anything else.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • poop poop x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Understand your feelings duke but think you’re in a dangerous place. You can have all the feelings you describe without disowning something you have loved for so many years. Remember, the thrills we have enjoyed are from the performance of kids. That shouldn’t change. Have the animosity for Mr Herman but do not let him ruin your attitude for the enjoyment on the field. Just sayin.
    Like I’ve stated on here before, wife and I will still attend and still cheer for the Horns. Not going to anymore VB, soccer, and prob softball but going to watch the sport I love. Now if the team stops standing for eyes or makes another stupid protest I may have enough but for now I can separate my animosity for the coach from my love of the game and players.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

For me it's both a no win and no lose situation. I'd like Texas to win, but I also like for the malcontents to fail miserably, some of whom I was previously a big fan (Ossai, Overshown, Johnson, Eagles, Mitchell, Thompson, Sterns, Wiley, etc.).
    IMO, I won't be able to wholeheartedly pull for the Horns until all the malcontents (players and coaches alike) have either apologized and recanted their prior statements, or been eradicated from the program.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I have found not giving a f**k helps

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@dukesteer, I didn't watch. Only game I have watched is Tech and that's because @Run Pincher and I hooped up for that one here. Never had a season like this in my life.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Didn’t realize all those you named were among the malcontents but one, Sterns, as I’ve mentioned before, was one of my favs for past two years, not anymore. Nevertheless I find my attitude is I pull for the Horns and not the individuals anymore. A broad rationalization that I accept for the year and an open mind for next year.

7. horninchicago

If I knew Herman's fate was sealed and he's gone at the end of this season no matter what, then maybe I would pull for them. Doesn't even pain me to say it with this coach and group of malcontents that I hope they lose to accelerate Herman's departure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Those were some (probably not all) of the football players that either simultaneously tweeted or retweeted the original list of demands.

9. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh

• Hot Hot x 1
  10. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I agree with Duke. Herman and the Buttheads have totally ruined this season for me. The sooner they all go, the better.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

Duke,

I understand your frustration with TH, and his foolish comments from June. His words not only drove a wedge between the fans and the team, but they also allowed rivals like OU to make baseless claims about UT as a means to gain a recruiting advantage.

The passion of the fans is what saved the program. It was the fans/alums who, after seeing Sam standing alone for the Eyes, lit the fuse beneath the BOR to tell the admin to grow a backbone. It's no coincidence that after the players were told to get together for the Eyes, things started to turn around. Because at that moment a group of individuals began gelling into a team.

I think the future is bright for the program. But I understand why some folks aren't fully on board yet. Healing takes time. And trust has to be earned.

• Like Like x 2
  12. horninchicago

Future is bright as long as it doesn't include Mensa Binder.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I still love the Horns. I will watch them. I will root for them to succeed.

All of them.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I hate to say it but your snowflaking and overly triggered or overreacting just like the other side pouting over something or some cause.. I wasn’t happy about it but shake it off, It’s football season and the guys wearing orange represented, and we won.

• Agree x 2
    • poop x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Winner x 1
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Creek, I have no problem with you having a contrary opinion, but is the condescending terminology really necessary? I’d like to think that you can do better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  16. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

I have a question for all if you:

If — and I acknowledge it’s a big if — Herman turns things around and wins a conference championship, not necessarily this season but in the near future, will you continue to root against the Horns? Will you refuse to support the team both emotionally and financially? Will you give up your season tickets for good?

17. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Duke, I'm about to be 65. So you and I have witnessed all the same good and bad of this program. My dad worked two weeks worth of overtime shifts to have the money to buy two tickets to the Texas-Tenn Cotton Bowl. I was around 8 when my parents started making sure we were in Austin at least once a year so I could get new stuff from the Coop. UT was always and continues to be a huge part of my life.

As much as I'd like to see a change I just can't wish them to lose. Especially when there are guys like Sam in prominent roles on the team. I may not live to see another NC. But I've got great memories and I still get goosebumps when I hear the Eyes or Texas Fight.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

I will continue to be apathetic until all the malcontents (players and coaches alike) have either apologized and recanted their prior statements, or have been eradicated from the program.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Duke, your first paragraph could be plagiarism from what I would write.

I was lost a few weeks ago, now I’m found.
    I think the mess we were in was exactly that. For me, I’m forgiving and forgetting to the best of my abilities.
    Did my heart good, players were supportive of The Eyes, saw Jamison talk with Fozzy and did my heart good.
    I’ve done a lot of really stupid things 15-22 years old- I had people forgive me for ALOT more.
    Keep TH I think he learned a lesson, Ash and Urseck(so, I know)
    Let’s get consistency here.
    Hook em

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

GB, but that’s a big part of the problem. The Eyes could have been managed, but it wasn’t. Because of Herman’s capitulation and sellout, your and my ability to hear The Eyes is in jeopardy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Close to the stupidest thing I've read on this board.
    Get over yourself.
    Go Horns!

• poop poop x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  22. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

So it’s OK for you to be butthurt about a song, but you deny a generation of young black men who have grown up with systemic racism to express themselves. Got it.

• poop poop x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Let me preface this by saying I want Tommy terrific gone. But posts like this remind me that history has a bad habit of repeating itself. This sounds so much like the last few years of Fred when Texas fans were actively rooting against Texas. It set the program back a decade or more and it really didn’t recover until Mack came in 1998 even with the 1990 shock the world tour and a couple of good seasons under Mackovick. Texas winning is always good and Texas fans cheering for Texas is always good. Fans cheering against their own team is a cancer that lingers long after the coach they wanted gone is gone. Those of us who went through the 80’s should know better than to ever talk about actively rooting for Texas to lose.

Always want Texas to win, ALWAYS!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Duke, okay keep rooting against us. It doesn’t seems to be working. This is just like “ taking a knee” which I’m totally against. I’m also against turning your back on the Longhorns during the season.
    We got all off season to gripe about things that make us mad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  25. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Herman is a prick. He could win the National Championship this year which would make him a National Championship Prick. He is who he is - win or lose.

• Agree Agree x 3
  26. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

If you root for Texas to lose, you’re not a fan, not any longer. No matter your history of support, once you cross that line and start rooting for Texas to lose, you might as well head to Norman because you sure as hell aren’t a Longhorn anymore.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  27. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Where did I say he’s not?

You guys have such a hardon for Meyer, and he’s a prick, too.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

This is the issue, I believe, for a lot of us. I won't forget it either.

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Your anger is misplaced, but I don’t expect you to understand or care.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I didn’t you did or didn’t. Merely stating my sentiments about Herman. I have no feelings either way for Meyer.