Conner Brewer is Dang Good

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Bevo Incognito, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

I am watching the DVR of the spring game for the fourth time and I am impressed with Connor Brewer. I didn't know how live his arm was coming out of high school but the kid's arm is very strong. He looks like he's got a good feel for the game, too: the pass to Daje in traffic and the pass on the run to John Harris were both heady plays. And Swaim should have caught that ball in the endzone for a TD. Might have been a bit of a burner but that ball was placed well and should have been caught.

In my opinion for the coming fall:

1) Ash
    2) Swoops
    3) Brewer
    4) Overstreet to safety
    5) Case to coach-on-the-sidelines

I think Brewer is better than Case. Much stronger arm, equally elusive etc... Plus why, at this point, even put Case in? I like the young man personally and he's probably got a hell of a future but he's never going to be be anything other than the last possible option, so why invest the plays in him?

If the coaches like what they see from Brewer, might they see how the season goes, see if we have big leads so that we can get Brewer in for some meaningful snaps, then try to NOT burn Swoopes' redshirt?

2. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

My impression has been that the big concern with him is that he's not very big. But it's not like small QBs (i.e. Major) haven't done well. I suspect that after Ash leaves he'll be in the mix.

3. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Assuming all these guys stay into next season, I see at least one QB transfer coming before the start of the season.

4. Bevo Incognito

5. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

There is a report/speculation that Overstreet will get some reps at safety which would bode well for the QB's currently on campus. I think Swoopes has the most potential from the limited action during the spring game but you can see that Brewer is a gamer for sure.

My depth chart would look like this:

Ash
    Brewer
    McCoy
    Swoopes (redshirt)
    Overstreet

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

7. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

Quarterback's have ego's, and most of them are pretty large, I am not disagreeing that he might move to safety but I see him transfering. The time to try safety was in the Spring.

As a back up, give me McCoy, in any close game. In any game that get out of hand, leave it up to Swoopes if he wants to shirt or not, if he does then Brewer, if he does not want to shirt let Brewer and Swoopes battle it out for third string. I still think both Brewer and Overstree are prime candidates to transfer.

Swoopes was the third quarterback into the game, that has to tell you where you stand, when a kid that technically hasn't graduated HS comes in, and jumps you in the depth chart.

8. Bevo Incognito

Overstreet also looked electric. I could imagine that he'd be great in a wildcat package but with most of his snaps coming at safety.

Tremendous physical talent but I think that if he can take his ego out of it and think about things he'll realize he's much more likely to reach the league as a safety than as a QB. For a whole lot of reasons, including the fact that Akina has 11 dbs in the league right now.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If someone wants to go to the trouble somewhere in the archives is a thread that basically sys all Overstreet asked for was a chance to play QB, and if that did not workout he would move to a position that was best for the team.

In 1968 Texas had a high profile QB that was a failure who moved to safety and went on to multiple All Pro seasons in the NFL as a safety.

10. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Case does not have the arm strength to play QB and he should not be used ifthere is another option. Brewer and Overstreet are that option assuming Swoopes redshirts and he should. Brewer is ready to be the back up IMO. Case will always be there on the sideline if injuries happen and Mack needs him.

11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Don't forget the Horns have Heard coming in next year as a true Frosh.
    Do they really need Swoopes and Heard as FR? Or Redshirt Heard as well.
    Who'd a thought UT would be deep at QB....and RB and soon to be OL and DB.
    1 Ash
    2 McCoy experienced backup
    3a Overstreet as a throwing option Wildhorn QB.
    3b Conner 3rd String pro style QB, quickly moving to #2 spot next year.

12. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Look, not to long ago all us horn fans bemoaned us losing out on heisman trophy winners Robert Griffin and Johnny Manziel, we finally have a qb who is on that caliber as a runner (overstreet) and you want him moved to safety? I don't buy into that. Swoops had some impressive runs, but so did overstreet. And if I'm not mistaken neither of them completed a pass. We have plenty of safeties, let the kid learn to be a qb. He doesn't have to play right away. He can take time to learn this year and next then make a decision.

13. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Look -- The rule is find your best players for a position and play them and if it doesn't work out let them switch positions or transfer. If players feel entitled to a role based on anything other than practice and on-fied performance, then somebody screwed up somewhere.

14. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

16. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

Why the suspense? Who was that qb turned safety in 1968?? Did you know he was ambidextrous? The fact that he could throw with either hand earned him the knick name "super". I believe he could punt with either foot. Holds the UT record of four interceptions in one game against our former rival.

17. georgecostanza

18. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ole - could he have been called Super Bill when recruited?

19. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

My point is, he's a freshman and we don't need him to switch. We don't have to rush qbs into playing anymore. Let the kid learn, he's the fastest QB we have. Give em time. I've also read in places that Brewer was behind Overstreet on the depth chart. My prediction is that swoops will in fact redshirt, and Overstreet will see the field this year. It only makes since if we are switching back to a zone read type offense. Denard Robinson anyone? And don't forget VYs accuracy problems his freshman and sophomore year. That is all.

20. georgecostanza

21. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Yes, after an injury riddled season where Michigan had to find another QB, he came back to "finish the season as a WR". Nice observation. Did you also observe the wins Michigan got off his athletic ability? Same for Pat white. Fast as hell, zone read runner first.

22. georgecostanza

Yeah, he got hurt a lot. It definitely effected his game. You want that?

He has a career 57.2% completion rate. He threw 49 touchdowns to 39 interceptions. He did rush for just under 4500 yards for his career. Obviously, he deserves credit for that, but the dude cannot throw the football.

His best year statistically was his sophomore year. What was Michigan's record? 7-6.

And why would the Michigan coaches change his position at the end of his senior year if he was so capable as a quarterback? It's because he isn't a quarterback. He should've been playing running back or receiver the whole time he was there. The problem for Michigan was that they didn't have a competent QB on campus.

Also, you want Jalen Overstreet to be a run first QB? Why? We aren't trying to run Oregon's offense. We do want to be able to run the football, but we'd also like to be able to throw it. Give Jalen the Wild package if you want, but don't groom him as a QB for the future. His athletic ability should be displayed on the field, but not if it means a much weakened passing game.

A good place for him to showcase his physical ability on the field would be at WR or safety. Swoopes is already a more accurate passer than Overstreet, so he should be the one you groom as a QB. With Jerrod Heard coming in next year, another QB with the ability to run is added to the mix. Both Swoopes and Heard are bigger dual threats than Overstreet is at this point. Overstreet is only a single threat, imo.

23. georgecostanza

I just looked at Pat White's stats. He was a way better passer in college than Robinson.

24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

After the spring game Coach Brown said Swoopes had already moved up to 3rd on the depth chart.
    May not see a redshirt here.
    And I don't think I mind a bit.

25. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

You are looking too much into this. [​IMG] The point is, don't rush to judgment on Overstreet he's just a redshirt freshman. He doesn't have to be a seasoned passer right now. Guess what? He doesn't have to play right now, and neither does Swoops. Let them learn the offense and develop. 2 years of Ash gives them time. Then criticize him. If he's not a good passed by that time, then at worst he could be John Chiles (who actually wasn't bad his second year at qb).

26. georgecostanza

Well, if he is going to change positions, wouldn't now be the best time to do it? Waiting another year or so before determining that he really isn't going to ever contribute at QB could mean he misses out on an opportunity to play meaningful snaps at another position.

27. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Yes, you are ABSOLUTELY right. And why stop at the Quarterback position? Any freshman that doesn't come onto the 40 ready to contribute right away should switch positions. Why do we need to develop players anyway? We're Texas they should be good and ready when they get here! And why stop there? Why don't we just force them to transfer? [​IMG]

28. georgecostanza

I'm not saying that Overstreet should be playing as a receiver or in the secondary this year. I'm saying that if his greatest potential to contribute, now and in the future, will result in him changing positions, then he should do that.

I want to develop him at another position.

2013: Ash starts, McCoy/Brewer as emergency back-up, hopefully shirt Swoopes
    2014: Ash likely starts, Swoopes may get considerable playing time, Brewer may or may not be with team anymore (I hope he is), Heard shirts

If Swoopes or Brewer are developed and work out well, why can't we move Overstreet to another position and develop him there?

29. Maduka

Maduka 250+ Posts

Good opinion. That's what makes this fun. We both have a good guess about the situation. I happen to think that Conner Brewer won't be able to handle what this new offense requires of the QB. Namely the running part. Overstreet can, Heard can, Swoops can, Ash can. It seems that Major Applewhite is trying to craft an offense (based on recruiting) that focuses on QB’s who’s strength is running the football.

Your opinion is that Overstreet should move to safety. That's interesting, I just don't buy that. I think if you can develop him to use his arm with accuracy, he will be a deadly dual threat. Vince as a Redshirt Freshman really had some accuracy issues. He didn't really come around as a passer until his junior year.

Worst case scenario, If Overstreet is pressed into action, we would rely on his athletic ability like we did Vince's Freshman year. And if he still couldn't throw the next year, you have J. Gray and Malcolm Brown in the backfield just like Vince and Cedric in 2004. Zone read every other play like in ’04. Luckily we don't have to do that. He has 2 competent QB's in front of him, which gives us the luxury of being patient with his development.

Earlier, you inferred that a team couldn’t be successful if it had a QB that wasn’t accurate. Ironically you used the Oregon Ducks as an example of a system with a run first QB. That’s weird. Do you have any idea what Oregon QB’s have done under Chip Kelly the last 3 years? Passing? How about a 3 year average of 31 td’s and 7 ints? Not bad. If Texas can get that from a “run first” QB, I’d be good with that. But that’s not what we want? Hmmmm….

Let's face it, logically Oregon is a bad example, lets keep it close to home. You and I know the success of 2004 Texas Longhorns with a QB that wasn’t very accurate, but ran for over 1000 yards and led us to an 11-1 record. So it is possible.

What’s the point? He’s young, let him develop. No reason to run him off to a position that we have really good athletes at right now. And since we are DBU we will continue to get great athletes at that position. QB is a position that you can’t waste See GG. That's my opinion. Here's a blog post with the same line of thinking.

Hook em

30. Bevo Incognito

Maduka,

The reality is that Overstreet is too good of an athlete not to play. And he's probably not ever going to have a shot at QB with Ash here for two more years, Swoopes after that, and Heard after Swoopes.

I say get him on the field and let him make plays. He does no good for the team sitting on the bench.